James Horner's treatment of death in his music

curlytoot

I would've thought the person who famously states "Star Trek is better than everything" would be basing the claim on his passion for the franchise. It loses a bit of credibility once you learn it's founded merely on statistical data.

This is a ridiculous claim. I've gotten more enjoyment from Star Trek than any other franchise. You can be passionate about something without having it provoke you to flow out the waterworks or laugh like a hyena.

Of course it can be an emotional experience on the inside, but my body just doesn't respond to it as overtly as it seems to provoke in others.

Yeah I've heard people laugh, but not that uncontrollable belly laugh that hurts the muscles in your face and sends tears streaming out involuntarily. And those laughs don't just stop in a few seconds, they go on and on. What I've seen is more that fake laugh people do to acknowledge the humour of a scene.

I've only seen the belly laugh happen (and experienced it) when people are interacting one-on-one or in a group, but never during a movie.

I'm not talking about uncontrollable laughter. I'm just talking about laughing aloud. Sharing that with an audience is part of the fun of watching a comedy.

Plus, I think Australians are a lot more restrained than their American counterparts while viewing films in a public space.

That, at least, is a sensible explanation (though it makes Australia sound like kind of a dull place). Cultural differences absolutely account for a lot when it comes to expressing emotion.

This is a ridiculous claim. I've gotten more enjoyment from Star Trek than any other franchise. You can be passionate about something without having it provoke you to flow out the waterworks or laugh like a hyena.

There are those extremes again. No one's talking about waterworks or hyenas (although I will say that watching episodes of TNG at StarCons with other fans was one of the more raucous experiences of my life). But are you saying that the tears have never welled for you during episodes like "The Inner Light," "Darmok," "Family," "Tapestry," and the like? Not that you were a blubbering idiot, but just that you let it get to you? I just can't imagine experiencing that show without experiencing it fully. But again, that may just be my cultural upbringing being different than yours, nothing more or less.

Nup, never got teary or anything at those episodes. I realised they were trying to be moving, and of course I responded to that by thinking "excellent job, chaps!"

But crying? Welling up? I guess I'm not as liberal with my tears as some. I just can't get past the fact that it's all make-believe.

The last time I cried was at a review of PSYCHO. "A blot on a honorable career". Really?

I'll give you an emotional reaction that's actually manifested.

Jump scares.

You better not have to go to the loo or else it'll be code brown in your trousers when that ghost suddenly shrieks out of nowhere.

The thought has terrified me when going in to see the latest supernatural horror flicks that startle you with loud noises and during the movie, I've got a call from downstairs that Elvis needs to leave the building.

I'll give you an emotional reaction that's actually manifested.

Jump scares.

You better not have to go to the loo or else it'll be code brown in your trousers when that ghost suddenly shrieks out of nowhere.

See, I wouldn't call that an emotional reaction. It's a physical reaction—pure adrenaline. You don't have time to generate feelings (just excrement).

They need a warning. "This content may cause some audience members to shit their pants".

And as for "uncontrollable" laughter, what is controllable laughter then, a courtesy laugh? One that's consciously given in a fake "haw haw!" manner?

I know what you mean with that kind of "laugh that's not really a laugh" and I'll get nervous laughter a lot...I agree that actual uncontrollable prolonged laughter is rare but it happens. I seem to remember getting it a couple times in This is the End, before that I think it was the talking penis in Bruno that really got me. A handful of other things between in movies and TV have basically come close. But I also don't get the idea that it's impossible to genuinely laugh without it going on for half a minute until your sides hurt. I get at least one good, surprise, unforced laugh just about every movie I see, honestly. Maybe it only lasts a few seconds but it ain't fake.

And as for "uncontrollable" laughter, what is controllable laughter then, a courtesy laugh? One that's consciously given in a fake "haw haw!" manner?

Well, now we're getting into semantics. Really, when you think about it, even moderate, genuine laughter represents a slight loss of control. Robin Williams once said it's pretty much the same thing as an orgasm (rolling his eyes, he said in a goofy voice, "Is this fun or what?"). You're letting go and allowing yourself to look like a fool. In most cases, though, if something's really funny then everyone else around you isn't any more in control than you are. I saw Brian Regan in concert a couple of years ago, and it was like riding a wave of laughter. (You would've hated it—everyone there was laughing and crying at the same time.)

I seem to remember getting it a couple times in This is the End. . . .

I laughed my ass of at that movie. Hilarious.

But I also don't get the idea that it's impossible to genuinely laugh without it going on for half a minute until your sides hurt.

Of course it's not impossible. Most of the time in only lasts a few seconds. But it is a genuine reaction.

No. Not like this. He hasn't faced death. He's cheated death. He's tricked his way out of death, and patted himself on the back for his ingenuity.

He knows nothing.