What are your earliest known soundtrack CDs?

Unlucky Bastard

I guess that E.T. OST from 1982 is my oldest CD. Come to think of it, we are of the same age.

The CD of E. T. is from 1987.

in 1982 there was only the LP.

Indeed, the dates written on the first made CDs are often not the one of the CD release itself, but instead of the first LP release.

Regarding the MCAD-37264 edition (a better quality edition, presumably a digital release), do we have the true release year? Is it a US or Japan release?

I have to adjust that on my website, thanks, Stempel!

If you see other errors like that on my website, please contact me!

Goodbye Mr. Chips And Fiddler in the Roof are not compositions from Williams.

Only orchestrations.

If you see other errors like that on my website, please contact me!

Goodbye Mr. Chips And Fiddler in the Roof are not compositions from Williams.

Only orchestrations.

ok you talk about the "compositions" page.

I have to repass and add "(score adaptation)" I know.

For Valley of the dolls and Tom Sawyer too.

But in these scores, there is always little parts (sometimes at least the Overtures or some transitions) that are original works by Williams, so I will keep them in the page, just add the note.

NOTE: please post further remarks in this dedicated thread: http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25380&page=4

I hate that I have versions with inferior sound quality. They were still reissued in like the early 90s (?), so I figured they couldn't be screwed up like everything post-2000.

I'll settle for having them ripped in WAVE. I own most of the classic CD releases of John Williams OSTs as far as I know. There are some exceptions. My 1941 is the Varese version and The Accidental Tourist is the FSM (possibly ruined?) reissue.

I have no idea. I think it might be Rozsa's JUNGLE BOOK/THIEF OF BAGDHAD CD, manufactured some time in the early 80s. But I have a bunch of CDs that I purchased in the early 90s, and even some late 80s.

Wow. I didn't expect this to be the case, but based on the information in Ricard's post I guess I win the prize. One of the earliest soundtrack CDs was actually my very earliest CD purchase. I got my first CD-playing stereo in 1987, and the first disc I bought was 2010. I thought the outer-spacey sound would be cool on the new technology. And I wasn't wrong; when the first, steady notes of "Earth/Space" ponged out of the speakers in absolute clarity, I was hooked for life (on the format--not the score, which has since become a pretty badly-dated synth effort from the distant past). That was followed closely by Return of the Jedi, Close Encounters, Explorers, and other varied and sundry Varese releases (most of my library in those days was solid maroon).

Most of it, yeah. The "New Worlds Theme" breaks out of that mold, and remains a pretty impressive piece. But the rest of the score has grown (for me, at least) pretty pedantic.

Hehe, ask your mate Mike M. I'd love to hear what he says.

But I have three early CDs that I know of that supposedly have this mastering encoding.

They are Michael Jackson's Thriller, Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells and Gerhardt's ESB.