Did Lucas mess with SE scores?

Ozzel

I was watching my VHS copy of Return of the Jedi SE last night. During the Luke confronts Jabba scene, right before the Rancor pit, I suddenly realized I was hearing music from much later in the movie, rather than what JW originally wrote for that scene (as heard on the Original Motion Picture Soundtrack 2-disc set). During the moments just before Luke force pulls the guard's blaster, I could swear I was hearing a portion of The Dark Side Beckons, the part where Vader is searching for and tempting Luke in the Emporer's throne room. I don't know how I never noticed it before. Without the benefit of having a copy of the original Jedi release, I couldn't confirm whether Lucas made this change just for the SE. Can anyone else confirm this? Are there any other moments in the SE trilogy where original cues were dropped and replaced? Really, I had no idea this "tampering" had gone on before. I always thought AOTC was the first time.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can´t comment on that moment in Jedi right now(never noticed it, if it´s there,too), but of course there is "tampering" in the SE´s with the added scenes and the replacement of the "Yup Yup" Ewok theme, with the new piece from Williams.

Also, in the credits there is some real tampering with the score to make it last longer for the additional SE credits (some bad loops), that should have been done much better!

But that is not Lucas fault, he has hired some professional people to do it right for him, it´s just their fault(I would guess Ben Burtt in this case).

he has hired some professional people to do it right for him.

Yeah, I imagine the job interview. "Hi, I'm George Lucas. Are you a Star Wars geek?" "Yes." "Do you love those movies above everything else?" "Yes." "Would you say that I have could ever do wrong?" "No." "Good enough, hired."

I'm not referring to any new music such as Jedi Rocks and the new Victory Celebration, nor am I referring to any original music that had to be added or stretched to accommodate new or extended scenes like Han and Jabba's conversation in ANH and Cloud City/Tatooine/Coruscant celebrations in ROTJ. Those are obvious. No, I'm talking about scenes that remained unaltered in the SEs, but were for some reason "rescored" from existing music.

Yeah, I imagine the job interview. "Hi, I'm George Lucas. Are you a Star Wars geek?" "Yes." "Do you love those movies above everything else?" "Yes." "Would you say that I have could ever do wrong?" "No." "Good enough, hired."

That´s very stereotypical.

In fact Ben Burtt was there since the first Star Wars movie, hardly he could have been a fan of something that didn´t exist (though I´m not sure if these edits fall under his department).

Really, that Dark Side Beckons cue was used for the original release as well? I think what JW composed for that scene as heard on the ST is perfect and should never have been replaced. But I don't wear the flannel shirt.

I find the worst edits to be in Empire Strikes Back when at the end, Vader says that awful new line, "Alert the Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival" or whatever it is. The pacing of EVERYTHING is completely thrown out the door, just so Lucas could explain to the three retards who didn't get what was going on, what was going on. Musically, it sounds really awkward and quite awful.

C'mon, seriously, did anyone really not get what the hell was happening before when Vader said, "Bring my shuttle?" Please, I was like five when I first saw it and understood it fine.

Some musical improvements were made to the SE of Empire. The Imperial fleet transitions now use the original music, not tracked and hacked 'Imperial March'.

Some music from 'Departure Of Boba Fett' was also restored to the film, although some people may not consider this to be an improvement, even if it is what Williams originally composed for the scene.

Some musical improvements were made to the SE of Empire.  The Imperial fleet transitions now use the original music, not tracked and hacked 'Imperial March'.  

Not when we first see the Fleet.We still don't have the "Aboard the Executor" original cue in the movie,an even more terrifying and loud version of the imperial march than heard anywhere else.

I f

C'mon, seriously, did anyone really not get what the hell was happening before when Vader said, "Bring my shuttle?" Please, I was like five when I first saw it and understood it fine.

I don't complain much about the SE,but in this case the new line Vader says sucks,and had no reason for beeing changed.

K.M.

That line change doesn't bother me much, what bothers me is that we actually have to see the shuttle, that ruins the music and the pacing.

Some musical improvements were made to the SE of Empire.  The Imperial fleet transitions now use the original music, not tracked and hacked 'Imperial March'.  

Some music from 'Departure Of Boba Fett' was also restored to the film, although some people may not consider this to be an improvement, even if it is what Williams originally composed for the scene.

I'll agree with you on both points. But that addition during Luke's rescue ruins it.

I was watching my VHS copy of Return of the Jedi SE last night. During the Luke confronts Jabba scene, right before the Rancor pit, I suddenly realized I was hearing music from much later in the movie, rather than what JW originally wrote for that scene (as heard on the Original Motion Picture Soundtrack 2-disc set). During the moments just before Luke force pulls the guard's blaster, I could swear I was hearing a portion of The Dark Side Beckons, the part where Vader is searching for and tempting Luke in the Emporer's throne room. I don't know how I never noticed it before. Without the benefit of having a copy of the original Jedi release, I couldn't confirm whether Lucas made this change just for the SE. Can anyone else confirm this? Are there any other moments in the SE trilogy where original cues were dropped and replaced? Really, I had no idea this "tampering" had gone on before. I always thought AOTC was the first time.

I noticed ever since I bought the SWT Anthology box back in 1993. (Ah, what a marvelous day that was! I'll never forget it.) Once I was able to listen to the Final Duel/Dark Side Beckons music on its own it didn't take me long to notice.

If the SEs didn't have the following changes/additions in them I would love them:

1. Greedo firing first (ANH)

2. Lukes scream when falling into the air shaft in Bespin (ESB)

3. Vaders new line and his trip to the Star Destroyer (ESB)

4. Jedi Rocks (ROTJ)

Honestly, I like all of the other changes. I love "Victory Celebration"; I love seeing the Banthas in ROTJ; I love the dogfight in ANH, I love the more scenic Cloud City in ESB; I love the bustling Mos Eisley. And some changes I could take or leave, like the beak on the sarlacc and the extra Wampa footage.

...since I bought the SWT Anthology box back in 1993. (Ah, what a marvelous day that was! I'll never forget it.)

Boy, I remember the day I heard it for the first time, too. Can't remember the exact year or anything, but I remember listening to it. I got it for Christmas but I couldn't wait until Christmas so I begged my mom to just let me hear the damn stuff and she caved.

Man.....hearing The Dark Side Beckons for the first time outside of the movie was....damn. It was just simply amazing. I ain't ashamed to say I got tears in my eyes.

Just like the first time I heard Helicopter REscue from STM on the Varese set.

[

I noticed ever since I bought the SWT Anthology box back in 1993.  (Ah, .

that's where I noticed it too now that you mention it.On the film a loy of the Jabba muic is mixed low.

K.M.

There are annoying score edits in the original movies, and then there are additional annoying score edits (most notably in ESB's Hyperspace cue) in the Special Editions.

I don't mind much the edits on the original trilogy, but the one that I think disrupts the tension from the scene is when they changed the cue of "The Imperial March" from the Escape from Cloud City. It really slows down the action from what the original "feel" of that part of the score had.

:wave: Horner Jenny

My favourite change to the SE's is seeing more of the wompa. :wave: If done right without those flaws you list, I'd be very approving of the SE's.

Yeah, but it was in the same sense of the first half of Jaws. Less is more. I didn't mind not seeing the Wampa in the original version. I think it worked better that way, honestly. There was absolutely no need to show more.

How about Spielberg going back and adding in more shark in Jaws?

I found it more scary seeing the creature. Jaws only works with less because of the score and some fancy camera work. :)