Duel of the Themes 1. round

What is your John Williams top theme (out of these)?  

46 members have voted

1. 1.

• Jaws Main Title
    • Star Wars Main Title
    • The Force Theme
    • Close Encounters (the famous 5 note theme)
    • Superman March
    • The Imperial March
    • Yoda´s Theme
    • The Raiders March
    • The Ark Theme
    • E.T. Theme(as heard in far from home/The very movie end)
    • E.T. Flying Theme
    • Temple of Doom Theme(as heard in slave childrens crusade)
    • Hook Main Theme(as heard in the beginning of the credits)
    • Jurassic Park A/B Theme Medley (as heard in welcome to Jurassic Park)
    • Duel of the Fates
    • Hedwig´s Theme

O.K., I`ll admit, I have a weak spot for this kind of stuff :) .

Last night I couldn´t sleep somehow and had some strange idea about a John Williams themes "knockout-contest" vote.

I want to start with 16 themes, after this poll has ended , I`ll continue with the top 8 votes in the quarterfinal and so on.

Thinking about what 16 themes I should choose kept me awake even more 8O .

I have now choosen my 16 "top themes", based on a wild mixture, of what I think are the most well known, well liked and personal preference.

Where I´m not fully sure about the theme name I give an example.

Sorry for all your favorites themes you are missing, I´m missing quite a few myself (don´t wanted more than 16 themes, that would grow to large), so I want to make some honorable mention:

Rebel Spaceship Fanfare, Han Solo and the Princess, the Emporer´s Theme, Short Round´s Theme,the Banquet/Never Feast, Harry´s Wonderous World, Across the Stars, Fawkes Theme

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if you compiled a list using every theme JW has composed so far, I would have stuck with Star Wars main title, which is my winner. I always wanted a jwfans' official consensus on JW's top themes of so-far all-times just like we did with individual scores a few months back... So this topic might be kind of amends...

Roman.-)

IMHO, the Imperial March is the greatest theme ever written for a movie. Relatively simple, never loses it's impact however old it gets and it works thorough every variation that JW has ever used it for.

Made me very happy when it returned on the AOTC soundtrack. Great stuff!!! :wave:

I chose the Imperial March. Something about that theme that makes it perfect . . . .I'm pretty sure it's the simplicity. I think everything else comes from there -- its effectiveness, its changing abilities, it all derives from its utter simplicity.

Not saying that every simple theme is effective, though. Or that only simple themes are effective.

jesus, could you try making a hard poll? :wave:

i picked the force theme... but in round two could you please include themes from a.i. and the other HP ones?

i picked the force theme... but in round two could you please include themes from a.i. and the other HP ones?

Sorry, the way I intended these polls themes will only be "knocked-out", no additional ones in the next round(that´s "quarter-final" :) ).

I knew that a lot of people would miss themes, that´s just natural.

But maybe you could host another round of "Duel of the Themes", after "my" final is finished(I would be glad to have no competion as long as my polls run, I´m thankful for every vote :wave: )?

It is, indeed, VERY hard to choose, which shows the brilliance of Williams. He's come up with so many excellent themes.

It came down to the Force theme and Supes for me, and I went with Superman. It's just so majestic and powerful.

But the Force is like an EXTREMELY close second. It's definitely my favorite theme from the SW movies.

What themes by John Williams aren't good? :)

Justin -Who sersiously can't think of one. Heck even Heartbeeps has a good theme.

Okay, now how about people say their favorite version of their favorite themes, like the favorite instance it's used in?

Mine:

Superman: Damn, it's hard but if I HAD to choose, I'd go with when Superman flies up to catch Lois and the guy on the street says, "What the hell is that?"

The Force: I have to pick two, I can't just go with one. Oh screw it, three. First and foremost, Night Skies from the Shadows of the Empire score. Amazing. Simply amazing. Second would be near the end of ESB when Luke is calling to Leia through the Force. The most dramatic use of the Force theme, to be sure. Third, the alternate version of the Funeral Pyre for a Jedi in ROTJ. As close to a concert version of the Force we we'll get.

Weeeeeeeell..... :)

The best performance of the Raiders March is when they spot Indy on the sub. It's the biggest performance of it.

Imperial March. The Alternate version of the Aboard the executer scene when we first see the super star destroyer. Why this was cut I will never know. The muted trumpets in the background are stunning.

Justin -Who thinks cutting the cue was an awful choice. (what else is new with Lucas? ;))

This poll closes tomorrow, Friday on 6:25 am EST(hopefully, this is my first timelimit poll :) ).

If you haven´t voted already, please do so.

I would also like to invite everyone to vote (again) on the upcoming "quarterfinal" poll, once this has closed.

Thanks in advance ;) !

Jakster