List of John Williams FYCs and Promos

Has anyone attempted to compile a list of all the FYC and Promo CDs featuring JW's scores?  

Here are a few that I know of (thanks for all the feedback received so far - I've added in what was left off and made corrections):

1988 Summer Olympics Album - Special CD Sampler (5-track promo including "Olympic Spirit") Arista Records ASCD-9745

A.I. Artificial Intelligence FYC - single CD (WB generic FYC film logo artwork front insert; no inlay card)

A.I. Artificial Intelligence FYC - double CD (WB generic FYC film logo artwork front insert; no inlay card)

The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn FYC (cardboard sleeve with generic artwork; unreleased music)

Amistad - Dry Your Tears, Afrika (radio edit; plain white cardboard sleeve) Dreamworks Records PRO-CD-5049

Angela's Ashes FYC - (no narration; no song; film artwork; regular jewel case with front insert and inlay card)

The BFG FYC (cardboard sleeve with film logo artwork; unreleased music) Walt Disney Records

The Book Thief FYC (cardboard sleeve with film logo artwork; unreleased music)

Born on the Fourth of July (promo with 2 radio edits and no artwork) MCA Records CD45-18122

Call of the Champions (radio edit) and "The Mission Theme" (2-track promo; slimline jewel case with artwork) Sony Music SSK55975

Call of the Champions (12-track promo; 5 radio edits; 7 John Williams interview clips; regular jewel case; black text on white) Sony Classical SK 89364

Catch Me If You Can FYC (generic artwork; regular jewel case)

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets FYC (WB generic FYC film logo artwork front insert; no inlay card)

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban FYC (WB generic FYC film logo artwork front insert; no inlay card)

Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone FYC (WB generic FYC film logo artwork front insert; no inlay card)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - Hedwig's Theme (radio edit; inlay card with generic text; no film artwork; regular jewel case) Warner Sunset/Nonesuch/Atlantic PRCD 300742

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (4-track promo including "Harry's Wondrous World", "Platform Nine-And-Three-Quaters [sic] And The Journey to Hogwarts", "Hogwarts Forever! And The Moving Stairs", & "Hedwig's Theme"; cardboard sleeve with film artwork) Warner Music Poland

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - Raider's March (radio edit; inlay card; no front insert) Warner Bros. PRO-CD-3560

John Williams Interview 4/9/99 (to promote The Phantom Menace; regular jewel case; black text on white) Sony Classical

John Williams: Jedi Maestro (to promote Attack of the Clones; regular jewel case; black text on white)

Jurassic Park (1-track promo, "Theme from Jurassic Park"; regular jewel case; slimline jewel case with grayscale film artwork) MCA Records MCA5P-2738

Jurassic Park (2-track promo, "Theme from Jurassic Park" and "End Credits"; slimline jewel case with colour film artwork) MCA Records MCD 30797

Lincoln FYC (film logo art; regular jewel case; unreleased music)

Memoirs of a Geisha FYC (film logo artwork; regular jewel case)

Munich FYC (no front insert, inlay card with film logo artwork and tracklist; regular jewel case)

The Music of NBC News Volume II (studio in house 2-CD set; 9 edits of "The Mission"; 39 reworkings using JW material) NBC-A1005

Sabrina - Moonlight (single with edit and ST version; cardboard sleeve with film artwork) A&M AMCOP 00128

Schindler's List (2-track promo, "Theme from Schindler's List" and "Theme from Schindler's List (reprise)"; slimline jewel case with film artwork) MCA Records MCA5P-3042

Schindler's List (1-track promo from Spain, "Theme from Schindler's List"; cardboard sleeve with film artwork) MCA Music Entertainment MCS 004

Star Wars: A New Hope - Special Edition Soundtrack Sampler (no artwork) RCA Victor RCDJ-68795-2

Star Wars: A New Hope - Special Edition (Millenium Falcon shaped CD-single; slimline jewel case; film artwork; includes "Main Title/Blockade Runner" and "Imperial Attack"; produced by Pepsi in Europe and includes the Pepsi logo on the back of the insert; reportedly only 18 were produced) RCA Victor 74321-455952

Star Wars: Attack of the Clones - Across the Stars (radio edit with dialogue and sfx; brief unreleased bit of music from the original version of the finale; regular jewel case with film artwork)

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith - Battle of the Heroes (edit with dialogue and fx; slimline jewel case with film artwork) Sony Classical

Star Wars: The Force Awakens FYC (cardboard sleeve with film logo artwork; unreleased music) Walt Disney Records

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace - Duel of the Fates (regular jewel case with film artwork; dialogue and fx) Sony Classical SSK 5776

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace - Duel of the Fates (regular jewel case with film artwork; no dialogue and fx) Sony Classical SSK 5776

The Star Wars Trilogy: Special Edition - Canadian Promo Sampler (12 tracks; regular jewel case with SW Trilogy: SE gold logo artwork; Darth Vader on CD artwork; uncertain of content) RCA Victor KCDP-51439

Stepmom FYC (no song; front insert and inlay card with film artwork; regular jewel case) 

Summon the Heroes - Official Centennial Olympic Theme (2 radio edits; slimline jewel case with artwork) Sony Classical SAMPCD 01 

Summon the Heroes - Official Centennial Olympic Theme (2 radio edits; no artwork) Sony Classical SSK 6362

The Terminal FYC (generic artwork)

War Horse FYC (film logo artwork; unreleased music)

War of the Worlds FYC (generic artwork)

Please correct or add any others and I'll update the list.

5 minutes ago, Thor said:

Bunch of older ones you're missing, like IMAGES.

Please provide info and I'll include (assume you are referring to the LP, was that a promo or a boot?)

23 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Please provide info and I'll include (assume you are referring to the LP, was that a promo or a boot?)

It was a FYC promo -- the same one they used when they issues the CD a few years ago. I'm sure Bespin can chime in with the details.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

It was a FYC promo -- the same one they used when they issues the CD a few years ago. I'm sure Bespin can chime in with the details.

Thanks. Any more of the older ones I'm missing?

19 minutes ago, Jay said:

What ORDER do you have those listed in?

No order, I first listed the ones I own, and then the rest as I researched them / managed to remember.

Depending on the response, I'll recompile everything in alphabetical order with more detail.

The only FYCs worth owning are Tintin, War Horse, Lincoln, Book Thief, TFA, The BFG.  All the other ones are just the same as the OSTs, except AI (but the LLL release included everything on that)

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

The only FYCs worth owning are...

In your opinion. 

I like owning the ones that have the same contents as the OSTs as I'm a collector and want to own as many FYCs and promos as possible.

I also own many imports that simply have different cover art from the US versions (for example, Seven Years in Tibet JP, Sayuri JP, Angela's Ashes DE and JP).

And what about the radio edits? Those aren't on the OSTs either.

I'll have more to add/correct on the list above, but quickly, some radio edits are more than just edits of existing versions of the piece.  Some contain previously-unreleased music/variations.

13 minutes ago, thx99 said:

I'll have more to add/correct on the list above, but quickly, some radio edits are more than just edits of existing versions of the piece.  Some contain previously-unreleased music/variations.

Great stuff! Looking forward to it. I may consider adding images once the list is compiled.

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

The AOTC promo with 3 seconds of the original Finale cue is a notable exception

Thanks! Completely slipped my mind about the brief 3 second "orchestral blowout" as someone called it back then.

Your list really needs to be in either chronological order or alphabetical order to make any sense.  Or maybe by Studio as a third choice

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

The only FYCs worth owning are Tintin, War Horse, Lincoln, Book Thief, TFA, The BFG.  All the other ones are just the same as the OSTs, except AI (but the LLL release included everything on that)

Jay, since you appear to be familiar with these titles, is The Book Thief in a cardboard sleeve or jewel case?

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Your list really needs to be in either chronological order or alphabetical order to make any sense.  Or maybe by Studio as a third choice

As I said in my reply to you above, I'll edit it once I have more feedback.

A few comments/corrections...

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

6. Amistad - Dry Your Tears, Afrika (promo with radio edit and no art) Dreamworks PRO-CD-5049

Mine came in a cardboard sleeve.

20. Call of the Champions (radio edit/s? with art)

I have two different Call of the Champions promos:

• Call of the Champions (radio edit) and "The Mission Theme" (2-track promo; Sony Music SSK55975, slimline jewel case with artwork)
  • Call of the Champions (radio edits) and Williams interview clips (black text on white; Sony Classical)

28. The Book Thief (unreleased music)

Cardboard sleeve.

32. Munich (cardboard sleeve with film logo art)

Not a cardboard sleeve.  Regular jewel case with no cover artwork but does have an inlay card with tracklist.

ADDITIONS:

• 1988 Summer Olympics Album - Special CD Sampler (5-track promo including Williams' "Olympic Spirit"; Arista Records ASCD-9745) [1988]
  • Jurassic Park (1-track promo, "Theme from Jurassic Park"; MCA Records MCA5P-2738; regular jewel case with grayscale film artwork) [1993]
  • Jurassic Park (2-track promo, "Theme from Jurassic Park" and "End Credits"; MCA Records MCD 30797; slimline jewel case with color film artwork) [1993]
  • Schindler's List (2-track promo, "Theme from Schindler's List" and "Theme from Schindler's List (reprise)"; MCA Records MCA5P-3042) [1993]
  • Schindler's List (1-track promo from Spain, "Theme from Schindler's List"; MCA Music Entertainment MCS 004; cardboard sleeve with film artwork) [1993]
  • Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (4-track promo from Poland, "Harry's Wondrous World", "Platform Nine-And-Three-Quaters [sic] And The Journey to Hogwarts", "Hogwarts Forever! And The Moving Stairs", & "Hedwig's Theme"; Warner Music Poland; cardboard sleeve with film artwork) [2001]
  • Call of the Champions (radio edit) and "The Mission Theme" (2-track promo; Sony Music SSK55975, slimline jewel case with artwork) [2002] [SAME AS ABOVE]

13 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Jay, since you appear to be familiar with these titles, is The Book Thief in a cardboard sleeve or jewel case?

I can't remember if I even own a physical copy of this one yet.  I can check my collection when I'm at home

7 minutes ago, thx99 said:

ADDITIONS:

• 1988 Summer Olympics Album - Special CD Sampler (5-track promo including Williams' "Olympic Spirit"; Arista Records ASCD-9745)
  • Jurassic Park (1-track promo, "Theme from Jurassic Park"; MCA Records MCA5P-2738; regular jewel case with grayscale film artwork)
  • Jurassic Park (2-track promo, "Theme from Jurassic Park" and "End Credits"; MCA Records MCD 30797; slimline jewel case with color film artwork)
  • Schindler's List (2-track promo, "Theme from Schindler's List" and "Theme from Schindler's List (reprise)"; MCA Records MCA5P-3042)
  • Schindler's List (1-track promo from Spain, "Theme from Schindler's List"; MCA Music Entertainment MCS 004; cardboard sleeve with film artwork)
  • Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (4-track promo from Poland, "Harry's Wondrous World", "Platform Nine-And-Three-Quaters [sic] And The Journey to Hogwarts", "Hogwarts Forever! And The Moving Stairs", & "Hedwig's Theme"; Warner Music Poland; cardboard sleeve with film artwork)
  • Call of the Champions (radio edit) and "The Mission Theme" (2-track promo; Sony Music SSK55975, slimline jewel case with artwork) [SAME AS ABOVE]

Awesome, thanks! Will update when I am able.

Any possibility of posting/sending artwork for the various Olympic promos?

I knew about JP and Schindler (the MCA5P ones) but wasn't sure if they were promos or released singles. Do you have images for these?

I also have the other JP single (MCD 30797) but again wasn't sure it was a promo.

2 hours ago, thx99 said:

Artwork:

• Call of the Champions (radio edits) and Williams interview clips (black text on white; Sony Classical)

This one is on my Wiki article, but strangely missing from my website... wooops! I will correct that next weekend!

But the Single 2-tracks promo is here!

http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/disco/singles.htm

All the known FYC CDs are on the album page (thanks to @thx99!)... rare stuff... but legit and collectable!

http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/disco/albums.htm

Artwork:

• Call of the Champions (radio edit) and "The Mission Theme" (2-track promo; Sony Music SSK55975, slimline jewel case with artwork)
Spoiler

CotC_single.jpg

FYI, the label on the disc indicates that the "Call of the Champions" track is 3:45, but it is actually 4:07 as the artwork above reads.

• 1988 Summer Olympics Album - Special CD Sampler (5-track promo including Williams' "Olympic Spirit"; Arista Records ASCD-9745)
Spoiler

1988_Olympics_sampler_cover.jpg

1988_Olympics_sampler_inlay.jpg

• Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (4-track promo from Poland, "Harry's Wondrous World", "Platform Nine-And-Three-Quaters [sic] And The Journey to Hogwarts", "Hogwarts Forever! And The Moving Stairs", & "Hedwig's Theme"; Warner Music Poland; cardboard sleeve with film artwork) [2001]
Spoiler

HP&TPS_cover.jpg

HP&TPS_back.jpg

• Schindler's List (1-track promo from Spain, "Theme from Schindler's List"; MCA Music Entertainment MCS 004; cardboard sleeve with film artwork)
Spoiler

SL_Spain_cover.jpg

SL_Spain_back.jpg

• Schindler's List (2-track promo, "Theme from Schindler's List" and "Theme from Schindler's List (reprise)"; MCA Records MCA5P-3042) [1993]
Spoiler

SL_2trk_cover.jpg

SL_2trk_inlay.jpg

• Jurassic Park (2-track promo, "Theme from Jurassic Park" and "End Credits"; MCA Records MCD 30797; slimline jewel case with color film artwork) [1993]
Spoiler

JP_2trk.jpg

• Jurassic Park (1-track promo, "Theme from Jurassic Park"; MCA Records MCA5P-2738; regular jewel case with grayscale film artwork) [1993]
Spoiler

JP_1trk_cover.jpg

JP_1trk_inlay.jpg

22 minutes ago, Richard said:

Am I missing something? Why does the AMPAS give-away these CDs, anyway?

I thought the studios gave them away to promote their films' scores during awards season?

I'm surprised there's no FYC CDs for the Prequel trilogy. Or are they just extremely well hidden?

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I can't remember if I even own a physical copy of this one yet.  I can check my collection when I'm at home

It's in a cardboard sleeve.

2 minutes ago, Lockdown said:

I'm surprised there's no FYC CDs for the Prequel trilogy. Or are they just extremely well hidden?

I suspect that none were ever issued for the Prequels.  At least I've never seen one offered up on eBay, and I would expect to have seen one by now.

The earliest Williams FYC CD that I've come across is Stepmom (1998).

I don't know if that's entirely true, because, not every single FYC ends up on eBay. You rarely see Two Towers of Fellowship of the Ring FYC on eBay but you consistently see Return of the King. It's just weird.

Yes, I understand that not every FYC ends up on eBay, but I think we would have heard something by now if there were FYCs for the Prequels floating around.  Regardless, back then, the FYCs would probably have just consisted of the OST material.  As Jay pointed out above, it really wasn't until 2011 with War Horse and Tintin that the Williams FYCs contained unreleased music.

2 hours ago, thx99 said:

I have two different Call of the Champions promos:

I found another one, I would post an image here but I only have the JPG on my PC. It is in a plastic CD sleeve with printed black text on white paper insert, text reads: "John Williams - Call of the Champions (The Official Theme of the 2002 Winter Olympics)  4:58  11/27/01  Rough Session Take - Unedited/Unmixed" and the usual stuff about copyright etc. Not sure who it's intended audience was, perhaps the TV studios covering the event?

5 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

TTT wasn't even eligible, was it? Wasn't it the year they decided sequel scores couldn't be nominated?

FYC CDs are pressed to promote scores to ALL award ceremonies, NOT just the Academy Awards.

Just added this one, had to find the information in my archive first:

Star Wars: A New Hope - Special Edition (Millenium Falcon shaped CD-single; slimline jewel case; film art; includes "Main Title/Blockade Runner" and "Imperial Attack"; produced by Pepsi in Europe and includes the Pepsi logo on the back of the insert; reportedly only 18 were produced) RCA Victor 74321-455952

11 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

I found another one, I would post an image here but I only have the JPG on my PC. It is in a plastic CD sleeve with printed black text on white paper insert, text reads: "John Williams - Call of the Champions (The Official Theme of the 2002 Winter Olympics)  4:58  11/27/01  Rough Session Take - Unedited/Unmixed" and the usual stuff about copyright etc. Not sure who it's intended audience was, perhaps the TV studios covering the event?

Interesting!! I've never seen that, but is this it? (poor-quality picture, admittedly)

cover.jpg

It appears to be some sort of "DJ" CD that once appeared on eBay Japan, but I can't find it listed anymore.  The image came from a Google Image search.

3 minutes ago, thx99 said:

Interesting!! I've never seen that, but is this it? (poor-quality picture, admittedly)

cover.jpg

It appears to be some sort of "DJ" CD that once appeared on eBay Japan, but I can't find it listed anymore.  The image came from a Google Image search.

Yes I think its the same one, except the image I have must be from the back, as it has all the text I quoted above. The fonts and layout look identical.

13 hours ago, Jay said:

They don't; The film studios do, to try to get their scores nominated by all the various award ceremonies

13 hours ago, Jay said:

FYC CDs are pressed to promote scores to ALL award ceremonies, NOT just the Academy Awards.

Perhaps I being really dumb, but...the whole point of a score is to be heard within the film - in context - and not separate from it.

That's like asking blind members to vote for Best Cinematography. 

Without the film, the score, no matter how nice it is, has no frame of reference.

4 hours ago, Richard said:

Perhaps I being really dumb, but...the whole point of a score is to be heard within the film - in context - and not separate from it.

That's like asking blind members to vote for Best Cinematography. 

Without the film, the score, no matter how nice it is, has no frame of reference.

Those who vote for the scores don't see the movies? I doubt it.

22 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Has anyone attempted to compile a list of all the FYC and Promo CDs featuring JW's scores?

Yes, they are on my website! I am the first who did that.

18 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Yes, they are on my website! I am the first who did that.

Fantastic site! Thanks for providing a great JW resource for all of us.

On ‎2016‎-‎12‎-‎23 at 6:30 AM, JTWfan77 said:

Fantastic site! Thanks for providing a great JW resource for all of us.

But I need fans like @thx99 and you to feed this aspect of my site.

I'm currently passing through the list of this thread to assure myself I have all those entries.

Of course, I can only add FYC and promos, no bootlegs. 

Website updated with the Singles I was missing.

Except for these ones, where I need additional infos (visual, content, length):

John Williams Interview 4/9/99 (to promote The Phantom Menace; regular jewel case; black text on white) Sony Classical

John Williams: Jedi Maestro (to promote Attack of the Clones; regular jewel case; black text on white)

The Music of NBC News Volume II (studio in house 2-CD set; 9 edits of "The Mission"; 39 reworkings using JW material) NBC-A1005

Star Wars: A New Hope - Special Edition Soundtrack Sampler (no artwork) RCA Victor RCDJ-68795-2

The Star Wars Trilogy: Special Edition - Canadian Promo Sampler (12 tracks; regular jewel case with SW Trilogy: SE gold logo artwork; Darth Vader on CD artwork; uncertain of content) RCA Victor KCDP-51439

54 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

No, you weren't. This website started doing that long before you did!

http://www.jw-collection.de/start.htm

This guy mix everything, CD, CD-R... bootlegs... and his categories are a mess.

It's a great "fan" site, a great ressource site, but I was the first to organize a real discography. Whatever you may think.  :P

Even this guy who's currently (re)working on his www.johnwilliams.org website, I saw his categories and he's going directly in a wall, he don't even know it yet.

You write a book tomorrow about John Williams and want to include a complete discography that stands on its own feet?  You only have to take the text of my two pages "Singles" and "Albums" almost as it is, and you have your discography.

That's the goal of having everything on two pages. You can print it, you can recopy it, it's there for that. ;)

28 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Except for these ones, where I need additional infos (visual, content, length):

John Williams Interview 4/9/99 (to promote The Phantom Menace; regular jewel case; black text on white) Sony Classical

The Music of NBC News Volume II (studio in house 2-CD set; 9 edits of "The Mission"; 39 reworkings using JW material) NBC-A1005

I will try to get artwork, etc. over to you today or early next week. :)

Artwork:

• John Williams Interview 4/9/99 (to promote The Phantom Menace; regular jewel case; black text on white) Sony Classical [CD LENGTH:  33:38, but each track has an extended period of silence at the end so when removed, the total length is 28:18]
Spoiler

Cover1_final.jpg

Cover2_final.jpg

Inlay_final.jpg

Is there music on this interview CD?

The exact lenght is not very important, all I need to know is if it's fit on SP, EP or album category. :D

This one is clearly an album, I added it right under the Phantom menace CD. Thanks.

1 minute ago, Bespin said:

Is there music on this interview CD?

No.  It is essentially the full, "raw" audio captured during this interview (the video clips were edited):

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Bespin said:

The exact lenght is not very important, all I need to know is if it's fit on SP, EP or album category.

That I can't answer for you.