New Varese CD Club titles announced on April 7

Ricard

Varese Sarabande will announce 4 new releases of their 'CD Club' series on Monday, April 7. They may or may not include a John Williams score.

Just remember that last year Varese CD club released 'The Fury' 2CD and 'Home Alone 2' 2CD. They also released 'Heartbeeps' in 2001.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At this point I really don't care what Varese Sarabande does! My last order (Home Alone 2 and Studs Lonigan) never arrived -- tha t I can understand, got lost on the mail or something -- but they could at least show some concern and answer my e-mails. i never asked any re-shippement of the order, only to check with US mail services if they knew of any problem... Is that asking too much? I think not! So I have to assume that "the nice folks" at Varese really don't care with those who buys their cd's.

I'm sorry to hear that, Miguel. Hope you get those CDs soon (and Varese answers their customers)

Well, Earthquake complete would be great.

And what about a complete Edward Scissorhands?

I'm sorry to hear that, Miguel. Hope you get those CDs soon (and Varese answers their customers)

Well, they never answered this one :P

And after several e-mails and over four months of waiting, I really loosing my hope.

That is a Paramount score, Justin, so consider that unlikely.

Better yet, just don't consider it at all.

What is the exact problem with Paramount release? They won't accord the copyrights to Varese? Originally the Home Alone 2 was a Fox release and yet Varese came up with deluxe edition.

Personally I think THE WRATH OF KHAN is not only the best Trek movie so far, but the score by James Horner is truly exceptional and very, very original, which makes it even more worthy a re-release. Anyway, if there's ever a re-release of Wrath of Khan in demand or consideration (which would be covetable), I would like the City of Prague Philharmonic in full size to record it on Silva Screen label to make up for the original, thin-sounding recording. I like their so-far released takes on Trek music.

Roman.-)

I second that! This is such a wonderful score, perhaps even superior in quality to Catch Me If You Can jazzing... :|

Personally I think THE WRATH OF KHAN is not only the best Trek movie so far, but the score by James Horner is truly exceptional and very, very original, which makes it even more worthy a re-release. Anyway, if there's ever a re-release of Wrath of Khan in demand or consideration (which would be covetable), I would like the City of Prague Philharmonic in full size to record it on Silva Screen label to make up for the original, thin-sounding recording. I like their so-far released takes on Trek music. Roman.-)

Even if they dont expand the score, it would be nice to get a modern re-recording. It would be wonderful to hear my beloved "Genesis Countdown" with some real fullness to it, rather than hearing the orchestra inside a tin bucket (the sound quality on the original release). It's amazing how this score has never fully been given justice. It could be for a number of reasons. I often wonder if Horner is even interested at all himself, because he has moved away from that style considerably in the recent years. :|

Personally I think THE WRATH OF KHAN is not only the best Trek movie so far, but the score by James Horner is truly exceptional and very, very original, which makes it even more worthy a re-release. Anyway, if there's ever a re-release of Wrath of Khan in demand or consideration (which would be covetable), I would like the City of Prague Philharmonic in full size to record it on Silva Screen label to make up for the original, thin-sounding recording. I like their so-far released takes on Trek music. Roman.-)

Even if they dont expand the score, it would be nice to get a modern re-recording. It would be wonderful to hear my beloved "Genesis Countdown" with some fullness to it, rather than hearing the orchestra confined inside a tin bucket (the sound quality on the original release). It's amazing how this score has been neglected. It could be for a number of reasons. But i've often wondered if it's Horner himself who is not interested in going back to re-trace his steps, because he has moved away from that style considerably in the recent years and goes more for the contemporary style. If they did, then i should imagine they'd secure their business gamble by releasing it as a double cd (the other CD being a cheesy collection of Star Trek garble) just to make sure they can get enough customers (as with the STMP score). Who knows. I dont know who we'd petition. Any ideas?

Melange - Losing his temper at this fragile login system :|

........., because he has moved away from that style considerably in the recent years.  :|

Not completely, though, just listen for how many times he has used ideas from Wrath of Khan in recent scores (Titanic, Aliens, The Mask of Zorro) to such a miserable effect. It's really a shame because by thieving himself so blatantly he himself degrades the arguably best input he has ever accomplished with WoK. I would, like you, welcome the complete, even perhaps two-disc release of the score.

Roman.-)

Personally I think THE WRATH OF KHAN is not only the best Trek movie so far, but the score by James Horner is truly exceptional and very, very original

WRATH OF KHAN is surely one of Horner's best scores ever... but it's not really "very, very original". In fact, there's a LARGE amount of stealings from Prokofiev, especially from the ALEKSANDR NEVSKIJ. Listen carefully to "Battle In The Mutara Nebula" and then listen to Nevskij's "Battle On The Ice"...

BTW, TREK II is a truly great score and one of Jamie's best. It would be cool if Silva re-record it with the City of Prague Philharmonic (which is becoming a very outstanding orchestra).

[WRATH OF KHAN is surely one of Horner's best scores ever... but it's not really "very, very original". In fact, there's a LARGE amount of stealings from Prokofiev, especially from the ALEKSANDR NEVSKIJ. Listen carefully to "Battle In The Mutara Nebula" and then listen to Nevskij's "Battle On The Ice"...

Well, I so much agree.

I only didn't mean that "original" to be looked upon in relation to classical music in general, but "original" as for James Horner's own repertoire, something so usually conceived as "...for this score I will borrow from that score of mine". Everyone gets more or less inspired by what once was employed by someone else... John Williams has long been professing to doing so and I don't certainly mind...

Roman.-)

Listen carefully to "Battle In The Mutara Nebula" and then listen to Nevskij's "Battle On The Ice"...

You don't have to listen that carefully to hear it. It's a pretty blatant rip.

Neil

I'm sure it's actually an improvement of what Nevskij's piece.

It's a note for note lift. Horner didn't improve a thing.

Neil

I'm sure it's actually an improvement of what Nevskij's piece.

Are you criticizing it on the assumption that it is "classical" music?

:mrgreen: The Lord of the Rings (Leonard Rosenman)

Personally I think THE WRATH OF KHAN is not only the best Trek movie so far, but the score by James Horner is truly exceptional and very, very original

WRATH OF KHAN is surely one of Horner's best scores ever... but it's not really "very, very original". In fact, there's a LARGE amount of stealings from Prokofiev, especially from the ALEKSANDR NEVSKIJ. Listen carefully to "Battle In The Mutara Nebula" and then listen to Nevskij's "Battle On The Ice"...

Stealing by Horner? You don't say! :mrgreen:

Good point, Marian.  Everyone knows that Prokofiev's music was written for Sergei Eisenstein's film, Alexander Nevsky.

Oh, Stefan knows that! I'm sure he was... joking :mrgreen:

BTW its a REAL FRIGGIN SHAME Varese could not get in control of a project like the release of the full Indy scores or something like that. Man! The awesome job they would do! Just imagine it!

I would guess the releases as follows:

COMMANDO (James Horner)

GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY (expanded) (Jerry Goldsmith)

MAGIC (Jerry Goldsmith)

ROBOCOP (complete) (Basil Poledouris)

Maybe right - maybe wrong.

:mrgreen: Scissorhands, Yoda L., you both have impeccable taste. However, as Earthquake was a Universal picture, I'm not holding my breath.

My money's on Bachelor Flat... 8O

Damien