David Arnold to score Amazon's Good Omens 6-part TV Series (based on Neil Gaiman/Terry Pratchett book)

crocodile

9 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

think every major Hollywood composer has had to work even having children at home. JW's children were kids in the 70s and he was a widower but that didn't stop him from writing all those disaster movies, Jaws, Black Sunday, The Eiger Sanction, Star Wars, Close Encounters, Superman, etc. If that was good or not for his kids' well being is an entirely different conversation... :mellow:

He did say in an interview that he was away a lot.

had his first kid during the recording sessions of Wyatt Earp.

You mean during the session? On the podium?

I don't think that's the only reason... Unless Arnold is one of those people who found more satisfaction in being close to his family then on working on big budget movies, and if that's the reason I have some real respect for him.

I really depends on how much his kids sleep. 

25 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

think every major Hollywood composer has had to work even having children at home.

Yes. Just think Alfred Newman. He was working at home, while little David, Tom and Maria were running around the house. 

21 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

He did say in an interview that he was away a lot.

I think JW was so depressed after Barbara Ruick's death that, instead of going home and staying with his children, he instead drowned himself into work. It resulted in some of the most iconic film scores of all time... But I wouldn't be surprised if it came at the expense of a happy (or as happy as it could be given the circunstances) childhood for his kids.

24 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You mean during the session? On the podium?

I don't have the booklet here with me, but IIRC his son Jackson was born during the recording process for Waytt Earp. So JNH had to step away from work to be with his wife at the hospital, and while he was there Randy Newman covered for him. It's one of his happiest memories at a recording studio.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

I haven't seen the second season yet. But having just read Rob Wilkin's biography on Terry Pratchett, I have trust in Gaiman and Wilkins that they have a good "artistic" reason for making a third one. Pratchett was hugely protective of his work and almost utterly unwilling to compromise even slightly for adaptations, which is the reason why (despite a few attempts) it never came to a Hollywood feature film version of any of his works during his lifetime, and why even the Discworld TV adaptations took a long time to come about. He had been trying to get a Good Omens adaptations going together with Gaiman for years, and one of his dying wishes was for Gaiman to make it happen. Gaiman and Wilkins (his personal assistant) were among his most trusted friends; Narrativia was founded by Pratchett to produce adaptations of his works without having to compromise with "external" producers, and he chose Wilkins to manage his literary estate and to run Narrativia along with his Pratchett's daughter Rhianna; they also supervised the destruction (by steamroller) of the hard drives containing Pratchett's numerous unfinished story fragments after his death according to his will. During Pratchett's lifetime, a sequel to Good Omens (the book) was something Pratchett and Gaiman considered possible, and desirable, but unlikely . So I believe if Gaiman, Wilkins, and Narrativia decide to make a third one, it must be more than just a cash grab and maintain his artistic integrity.

That said, I liked Good Omens the book, but it was never my favourite by either author, and I liked but not loved the series adaptation (i.e. the first season). But I did like it well enough, so I really should get around to watching the second one someday.