Superman II / III - 3CD Set from La-La Land Records INCLUDES NEW SOURCE MUSIC FROM SUPERMAN THE MOVIE

Jay

Is the Fanfare at 1:53 and 4:35 of The Streets of Metropolis, a reference to 0:25 of the Prelude from Superman I?

5 hours ago, Faleel said:

Is the Fanfare at 1:53 and 4:35 of The Streets of Metropolis, a reference to 0:25 of the Prelude from Superman I?

Yes absolutely. Thorne seemed to really like that little progression. It’s also at 0:40 of Streets of Metropolis, but my favorite is when Thorne combined it with the “Personal” theme in Superman II, here at 2:55

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Ken Thorne did a bang-up job, on II.

It was a thankless task, and he rose to the challenge, with guts, and aplomb. He deserves better.

The more I listen to the Blue Box, the more I like it.

I like them both. It is interesting to me that on III, chronologically, he took the same approach as on II, (mostly) adapting Williams for the first 2/3 of the film. But then, once the Evil Superman is vanquished, Thorne give the March one last hurrah, and then totally switches modes to make it (almost) all Thorne for the last act.  I particularly love the balloon cue, which is uplifting in and of itself, but also signaling the listener that the score now is shifting to belong to Thorne. 

On 07/03/2024 at 10:14 PM, Faleel said:

I feel they would be liked more, if they were recorded differently.

Agreed. The sound - even on the Blue Box - is still "small".

Imagine II and III with the LSO.

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Agreed. The sound - even on the Blue Box - is still "small".

Imagine II and III with the LSO.

I have a feeling it has more to do with CTS, it may be a fine studio space, but it's not Anvil/Abbey Road.

13 hours ago, Faleel said:

I have a feeling it has more to do with CTS, it may be a fine studio space, but it's not Anvil/Abbey Road.

Also, the orchestra was significantly smaller, on II.