The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

Good ol' days...

TNgyOmz.gif

QFT

Isn't Skyward Sword supposed to be a crap Zelda game? I don't know I've never played it (don't have the Wii) but I haven't heard much good about it.

I'd want to check it out as I love Zelda on gamecube.

It's a good game, but it has some pacing issues.

Damn, now I want to try it out. :yes:

So if I buy a Wii and a classic controller will I be able to play Skyward Sword the old-school way?

And is it backwards compatible with all the GC games I still have?

Anyone have a Wii here? Care to answer these questions?

You can't use the Classic Controller to play Skyward Sword - in fact, you have to have the Motion+ addon to the main controller.

As for playing GameCube games, they aren't compatible with the Classic Controller from what I understand. BUT, you can simply plug your GameCube controllers directly into the Wii, which is awesome. It's a nice way to play your GameCube games with component out and digital audio.

OK, that's good to know.

What sort of video cable comes with the Wii?

Would you say the 480p output is better than what the GC offered?

Is there an optical output for audio?

Thanks Nintendo nerd. :mrgreen:

!@#$%^&*, now I want to try it out. :yes:

So if I buy a Wii and a classic controller will I be able to play Skyward Sword the old-school way?

And is it backwards compatible with all the GC games I still have?

Anyone have a Wii here? Care to answer these questions?

No, you have to somewhat like you are using a real sword (with the obvious limitations)

I believe the GC could show 480p if you use Progressive Scan mode with component cables?

OK, that's good to know.

Composite I think..

Mine came with standard RCA white yellow red. I never knew that was called composite cable, I only ever knew it as RCA. I bought a component (red green blue) from China but it failed, so I went back to the composite and never looked back.

OK, that's good to know.

Is there an optical output for audio?

Thanks Nintendo nerd. :mrgreen:

The Wii will probably just come with composite, but you can buy component online (they were only sold in Japan)

As for audio, now that I'm thinking about it... I think there is no digital out, I think it's just rca out. Damn.

Now I should clarify, I'm talking about the original Wii. If you're thinking of buying a Wii U, that would be all digital. But it doesn't play GameCube games.

You mean without one?

I still have my GC hooked up through Scart. Much better then I reckon?

Not interested in the Wii U, hell before a week ago I wasn't even interested in the Wii. :pfft:

Doesn't the Wii U have Virtual Console, which essentially is a legal emulation of all of Nintendo's older games?

You're half right. It is infact a legal emulation of old Nintendo games, across all home and portable systems - but its not even remotely close to ALL games ever made for these systems. Its just the ones they decide to release for it, and you have to pay for each one individually.

We never bought it, but we rented it a lot. The aiming mechanics are a bit tough, making the boss fights tougher than needed. I've had it on emulator for maybe twenty years, never beaten it.

I mean you're much better off with one than without.

yes, definitely .It you use the composite you won't even have a widecreen image

On the Wii? How does that work? By using composite the screen stretches 4:3 to 16:9 ?

However component you get real 16:9?

And is it true you can only buy a component cable from Japan?

I'm not sure about the composite...maybe it does a 16:9 480i image if you select "wide TV " in the Wii menu .But it looks really shit

Component makes it true 1080p 16:9 ...not stretched

You can buy the component cable anywhere

From what I understood here Wii only displays 480p through component, not 1080p. Or am I wrong?

Thanks for clarifying this somewhat confusing issue. ;)

The Wii is only capable of outputting in 480p. The Wii U is full HD 1080p.

If you use the composite cable that comes with a Wii, it will be low resolution, so if you go into the settings and tell it you have a 16:9 tv, it will not look good.

If you use the component cable and tell it you have a 16:9 display, it will all look good. And I BELIEVE all games are programmed to know which display you are using and adjust accordingly.

Xenogear Chronicles has one of the most intricate and beautiful game world I've seen, but I can't understand for the life of me why it was made for the Wii in 480p graphics. And it doesn't even really work unless you buy the classic controller. what a waste

Because the four year game development was started in 2006 and the company was bought by Nintendo, who only made for the Wii at the time, and maybe some handheld.

• 2 weeks later...

I've finished Xenoblade Chronicles .Pretty good game that would have been 5X better with HD graphics

it was long...100 hours and so many sidequests I gave up on doing them all

I've finished Xenoblade Chronicles .Pretty good game that would have been 5X better with HD graphics

One day I want to finish it (meaning the main story ;)), too... but it has been years since I had to put it on hold after a few weeks of initial progress, and I never could get back into it the few times I tried, mainly due to the enormous complexity of the gameplay systems (I know, not all necessary, but it just felt strange only remembereing the bare minimum of actions), and engagement in the story suffered from stopping midway through... I guess I'd have to start again at the beginning. A pity, as I remember the two weeks or so of playing it as one of the most engaging gaming experiences I've had, due to sympathetic characters, unexpected story twists, awesome scale and variety of the world, and great music. I wonder if this kind of game has become too long for my spare time.

---

I just finished "Ori and the Blind Forest" a few days ago, which I'd highly recommend - gorgeous visuals, lovingly crafted world, engaging and heartbreaking story with more depth than was apparent at the start, great music (ranging from sweet and idyllic to suspenseful and epic), very responsive controls (best I remember for a platformer in a long time) and great game mechanics. It took me about 11 hours to get through, which was a perfect amount to both really get into it and also finish it while still freshly engaged in it.

I've already played it and it's agreat game

awesome scale and variety of the world, and great music. I wonder if this kind of game has become too long for my spare time.

It weird because there is absolutely no JRPG in the PS3/xbox360 generation that can match it in terms of scale. Final Fantasy 13's environments were very limited by comparison and usually long coridors with no exploration (though Lightning Returns made huge progress). And lots of other JRPG's didn't even have controllable cameras and small environments like the genre was still stuck in the 1990's. It's also frustrating and even more of a waste that Xenoblade Chronicles X is a Wii U exclusive , again with previous generation graphics

I'm going to play Atelier Shallie now, and it's the first in the series with full 3D environments. I love this series despite the archaic gameplay of the previous titles

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I could spend hours making and playing levels with this thing

Might push me into buying a Wii U if I didn't have a wedding and honeymoon coming up...