The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

Played some more today.

Spoiler

beat the first dungeon, got turned into a painting, and helped some frog lady get a gem.

Oh I also got a glove for lifting rocks

• 2 weeks later...

Pictures of an upcoming Tears of the Kingdom Special Edition of the Switch OLED have leaked

https://imgur.com/a/EmgbM9H

Since they're already producing these, that hopefully means a full Direct focused on the game is coming soon (this month?)

I still only have my launch day Switch (literally purchased on launch day), so I might finally make the OLED jump with this edition; Lately I play portably more often than I do on the telly, so I'd like a bigger and better screen

Retro Studios pitched a FFTactics-style Zelda game called Heroes of Hyrule for the DS in 2004

39 minutes ago, Jay said:

Retro Studios pitched a FFTactics-style Zelda game called Heroes of Hyrule for the DS in 2004

"The video Nintendo didn't want you to see."

They're really proud of themselves.

I don't know why all these pitch ideas are such big news. Studios pitch projects all the time that get rejected. Doesn't mean it was even considered for development. Like that Mario Kart for GBA:

Most Youtube videos act like it was a lost Nintendo game. It was an external studio who had an idea and pitched it to Nintendo and it was denied. 

Same with that Diddy Kong Racing sequel pitch.

The Switch just jumped past the Gameboy to become the #3 best selling console of all time

1 PlayStation 2 - 158.70 million units

2 DS - 154.02 million units

3 Switch - 118.99 million units

4 Game Boy - 118.69 million units

5 PlayStation 4  - 117.04 million units

Other way around. I keep meaning to pick up Eternal again, but something didn't click about it for me. At first I thought it was just that it was too much of the same too soon, but lately I think it's something different in the mechanics that I haven't nailed down yet. 

On 04/01/2023 at 5:25 PM, Jay said:

The Switch just jumped past the Gameboy to become the #3 best selling console of all time

I think it may very well approach the PS2 if Tears Of The Kingdom can satisfy expectations just a little bit.

Pokemon should have always been open world. It was what we dreamed of in the late 90s before open world was really a thing.

That being said, Scarlet and Violet are lousy games. They feel better than they are because they're a step in the right direction, but it was hard to make it worse than Sword and Shield. 

All the hate and criticism Pokemon gets for the last 10 years is justified. It's especially frustrating when they made much better games on weaker hardware. 

A long road indeed.

Also:

On 13/01/2023 at 12:05 PM, Jay said:

Everytime this thread gets bumped now I hope its news of the first Direct of the year

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/01/2023 at 11:25 AM, Jay said:

On 05/01/2023 at 9:38 AM, SilverTrumpet said:

Unconfirmed though, since the story is from the fake guessing numbers from VGChartz.

On 05/01/2023 at 9:40 AM, Disco Stu said:

Yeah just wait for Nintendo's fiscal Q3 (calendar Q4) report that'll come soonish.

Here's your confirmation with a bigger number than the estimate: 122.55 million units sold

The top selling games list is nuts too.  Over 50 MILLION copies of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe now

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/index.html

That's more copies of that game, than Super Nintendo/Famicons that exist.

I wasn't able to watch live but just saw there's a new Pikmin 4 trailer

Sweet and a Sea of Stars demo drops today!

Oh wow the first 3 Etrian Odyssey games are coming to Switch in HD

And Advance Wars reboot is finally dropping in April

OMG Gameboy games finally coming to Switch - it has been 3,000 years......

I liked the TOTK trailer!

What I noticed was that we don't see Link inside any closed-in spaces, like the shrines from BOTW.  Everything is either outdoors, or if he's inside, it's like these big caves / caverns.  I like it

I am looking forward to playing this game, too bad it comes out the same weekend we are going away for my wife's birthday lol

I'm excited by the news that the og Metroid 2, Oracle of Seasons, Oracle of Ages, and Minish Cap are coming to Switch Online, because I haven't played those games yet.  I actually bought those first 3 digitally for my 3DS, and own the fourth on GBA cartridge, just never found time to play them lol

2 hours ago, Jay said:

, too bad it comes out the same weekend we are going away for my wife's birthday lol

Don’t worry Jay - they’re still gonna delay it :devil:

I think the villain’s trailer voice acting was…a little much.

26 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Don’t worry Jay - they’re still gonna delay it :devil:

Keep dreaming, pal!  Your $10 is mine!

26 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I think the villain’s trailer voice acting was…a little much.

That I can agree with actually.  But I didn't play BOTW for the story

45 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'm excited by the news that the og Metroid 2, .... coming to Switch Online, because I haven't played...yet.  I actually bought... first digitally for my 3DS,... just never found time to play lol

Me too! (And Mario and Luigi.)

In before @Disco Stu decry's the genre lol

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yea I've always been curious about the whole wider mario RPG series, haven't played any of them yet

I played the DS one, (inside story) and enjoyed it.

I'm big fan of the Paper Mario series (Thousand Year Door might be my favorite GameCube game), so it scratched that itch post SPM.

"Metroid Prime Remastered runs at a stable 60 FPS with new textures and much better ambient occlusion and antialiasing. 900p 60 FPS docked and 612p 60FPS handheld"

Sounds great.  I will be buying the physical edition and playing this game.  

And this is where I must shamefully admit to JWFan that as much as I love the Metroid series, and consider Super Metroid one of the greatest video games ever made, I never actually got around to playing the Prime trilogy!  >sucks and covers<

I don't personally think there's anything remotely wrong with buying video games digitally, and will probably go that route on the next generation of systems.  But I started my PS4 and Switch collections physically so will continue that route till the system's end of life

Oh yea........... another thing not discussed on JWFAN yet is the Tears of the Kingdom retails for $70.

Catching up on the full Direct and I see Ghost Trick is coming to Switch!  Good news for me, I never played that game but have been intrigued by it since hearing about it on a podcast

19 hours ago, Jay said:

Yea I've always been curious about the whole wider mario RPG series, haven't played any of them yet

Superstar Saga is easily in the top 3 of Mario RPGs.

8 hours ago, Clockwork Angel said:

So what are they not showing us? All we've seen is the Breath of the Wild map with a couple platforms attached to the mountains and a few islands in the sky. What's taken more than the development cycle of Breath of the Wild to put out?