The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

Shockingly, Nintendo is letting Amazon. Walmart, Target, and Gamestop sell 9 of the biggest 1st party Switch games for $40 this week.

Super Mario Odyssey, Super Mario Maker 2, Luigi's Mansion 3, New Super Mario U Deluxe, Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, and Mario Party Superstars

Amazon

GameStop

Walmart

Target

Yea I saw that the other day, so I fired up my Wii U on lunch break today - also because I wanted to install all the Xenoblade Chronicles X updates, because I heard once than when the eShop shuts down, you won't be able to download updates either.  

It was working fine.

The Xenoblade Chronicles X free downloads ended up being 15 GIGS! Supposedly they speed up the game if you're playing off the disc (which is what I own).

So I had to delete the Mario Kart 8 install that came with my Wii U just to fit the updates on.  Crazy.

I tried to browse the eShop for purchase ideas, but most of the stuff I had on my wishlist is now available on Switch except for one: Affordable Space Adventures.  Anyone here play that one?  I wish it waws $5 instead of $20...

I wish other games did stuff like that. What if I don't want to play a game in super duper 4k and mega surround sound, and all dialogue in 12 languages? Can my modern game be 20 GB instead of 120 GB? I'm able to download that much with no problem, but I imagine a majority of gamers can't do that.

Eh just buy physical then you're only downloading updates and patches instead of the game itself ;)

On Switch, yeah. On the others? You still have to install gigs and gigs of data even from the disc.

Switch wise, file size isn't even a problem. Switch games aren't gigantic like the games on the other two. 

18 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

You still have to install gigs and gigs of data even from the disc.

Install, yes, but I thought we were talking about downloading from the internet being something not everyone can do, not just installing into the system

This reddit thread has a nifty breakdown of every 1st Party Switch title and who developed it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nintendo/comments/11ku5sp/with_the_switch_completing_6_years_heres_a_list/

@Disco Stu would approve

On 22/02/2023 at 5:08 PM, Jay said:

Anyone else completely forget about this?

There wasn't much to it anyway

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

What? I am talking about the direct. It was all fluff around the trailer 

Oops, I thought you meant the trailer itself.

Standard fluff piece thing.  Jack Black was funny though.  

Im going to watch the movie eventually because I have a seven year old and what else are you going to do?  I watched the Angry Birds Movie, man.  But every new trailer I see makes it look less and less interesting. 

I have no reason not to think it'll be a fun time at the movies

Whether or not it will be anything worth watching again remains to be seen

I suspect it’s a combination of the modern trailerized music thing and them cherry-picking specifically trailer-friendly moments for it.  I have confidence based on the actual first movie clip they released that it’ll be good enough.

35 minutes ago, Jay said:

Adventure RPG? What's that? 

I put a slash in there, meaning I would accept recommendations from either of those two categories or in other adjacent categories.

Basically anything like Hollow Knight, Zelda, or Octopath/Final Fantasy.

For RPGs, 

Final Fantasy 4 Pixel Remaster

Final Fantasy 6 Pixel Remaster

Final Fantasy 7

Live A Live

For metroidvanias, 

Super Metroid (SNES Online) 

Metroid Fusion (GBA online) 

Steamworld Dig 2

Ori and the Blind Forest

Shantae and the Pirates Curse

Shantae Half Genie Hero

The Mummy Demastered

For Zelda-ish,

Tunic

2 hours ago, Jay said:

For RPGs, 

Final Fantasy 4 Pixel Remaster

Final Fantasy 6 Pixel Remaster

Final Fantasy 7

Live A Live

For metroidvanias,

Steamworld Dig 2

Ori and the Blind Forest

Shantae and the Pirates Curse

Shantae Half Genie Hero

The Mummy Demastered

Thanks!

Out of those 5 metroidvanias, 

The Shantae games have the most fun music and characters 

Ori has the most beautiful graphics 

Steamworld Dig 2 has one of the most satisfying gameplay loops ever

The Mummy Demastered isn't top in class in anything, but it's the shortest and you get to shoot instead of melee attack

Most people who've played it recommend Dragon Quest 11 as a great RPG, but I haven't played it myself

Some screenshots for Metroid Zero Mission found in Switch GBA Online, could hint at it eventually coming to the service

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2023/03/metroid-zero-mission-screenshots-found-on-nintendo-switch-online-by-dataminer

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Anyone know any of these games

No clue whether it holds up, but Kirby 2 was good at the time.  I preferred the first, but the second introduced some classic Kirby stuff like taking on the characteristics of certain villains.

On 13/03/2023 at 6:05 PM, Jay said:

Most people who've played it recommend Dragon Quest 11 as a great RPG, but I haven't played it myself

RPGs are my least favorite genre and I think Dragon Quest XI is incredible, and it's about as traditional as an RPG can get being made today.

Oh boy, that will be an interesting ride.

In one way it's an utter classic, especially as far as characters, story, and a lot of the battle mechanics go

But in other ways, it's quite outdated now, in terms of it not always being clear what you have to do, where you have to go, or how some things work.  My recommendation is do not feel bad about using guides whatsoever

Enjoy the music!

A 10 minute Tears of The Kingdom gameplay video is dropping in about 24 hours;

I created a separate thread so anyone who wishes to know NOTHING about the game (@Disco Stu) can still read this thread, and ignore that one

Nintendo just revealed the TOTK-themed Special Edition Switch OLED is dropping Friday April 28th!

I'm getting one.

Official page is up with more pictures

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/nintendo-switch-oled-model-the-legend-of-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-edition-112870/

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/nintendo-switch-oled-model-the-legend-of-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-edition-launches-on-april-28/

If anybody was on the fence about watching the TOTK gameplay video that dropped this morning, I thought I'd give a spoiler-free explanation of what's in it so you can decide if it's for you or not.

It doesn't say anything about story, setting, timeline, characters... it doesn't even explain why your arms looks the way it does, nothing.

You also only see one new enemy in the footage, and only some NPCs briefly (they aren't interacted with)

The video basically just shows you four new abilities, and some examples of things you can do with these abilities, and that's pretty much it.

I didn't find it to be spoilery at all, but everyone has different opinions on what they want and don't want to know ahead of time.