The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

Nice!  I really liked the first game, though I never ended up buying/playing the DLC...

mario-and-rabbids.original.jpg

I'm looking forward to it!  It'll be interesting to see what they mean when the dude said something about introducing some action elements to the battle system.

Well damn because I'm freaking working, I missed the beginning of the stream.  What did I miss at the start?

HOLY SHIT!  Life Is Strange Remastered and True Colors coming to Switch!  Wow!

Guardians of the Galaxy - meh

Worms - meh

Two Point Campus - meh

Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania- I've never played a single one of these games.  Anyone here like this series?

Mario Party Superstars - So like is like WarioWare Gold but for Mario Party?  Again, never played a single entry in this series

Holy fuck he mentioned Metroid Prime 4!  But says he's going to show a different Metroid game instead??

METROID 5!?!?!?!?!?  Whaaaaaaaaaaaat !?

It's in 3D?  Or is this only a cutscene?  Where's the gameplay!!!

Oh snap it is 2D gameplay!  THIS LOOKS AWESOME!!!

It's called Metroid Dread

Gameplay looks a little on the slow side, but really freaking cool.  Some cool new powerups.  Day 1 purchase here, holy shit

October 8th!  So far away!

Heh, it'll even get an Amiibo

Just Dance 2022 - lol

Cruisin' Blast - ha!  I remember these games.  The Switch needs more racing games so this is cool

Dragon Ball Z - never seen this show, its movies, or played any of its games

Mario Golf: Super Rush - this game looks really cool

Monster Hunter Stories 2 - another series I've never played.   I like that they are releasing a "serious" entry and "more cartoony" entry in the same year

New Wario game!

Not a Wario Land entry, definitely a Wario Ware entry

Looks like Snipperclips at times

called WarioWare Get It Together, coming Sep 10, preorders coming today, wow

Shin Megami Tensei V - another series I haven't played.  Looks cool though

Danganronpa - never heard of it.. looks weird

Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water - another series I've never played before.  Doesn't look like my cuppa tea.  Any fans here?

Doom Eternal The Ancient Gods part 1 - what a mouthful.  I played the demo of Doom 2016 on PS4 and was amused by its fast gameplay but haven't returned

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 - fun!

Strange Brigade - meh

Mario + Rabbids 2 - looks like a very worthy sequel to a very cool game

Advance Wars... the original game remastered!  Wow!

Advance Wars 1+2 Re-Boot Camp - so it's both of the first two games together, cool!

Age of Calamity Expansion Pass - no surprise here

Dropping this week for the first, and then November for the second

Skyward Sword HD - looks great

WTF!?

They are releasing another mini-Game and Watch that comes with old Zelda games (1, 2, and Link's Awakening), and that's all they are doing for the 35th anniversary?  WTF?

BREATH OF THE WILD 2 TRAILER!!!!!

Wow.  That was pretty awesome!!!!!!

Coming 2022!!!!!

So no Pikmin 4, no Metroid Prime 4, no Bayonette 3, no Hollow Knight 2, no idea what Retro's next game is still.......

But some pretty cool stuff!

I doubt it'll be delayed.   It only remains to be see if it'll be March 2022 or Holiday 2022

I think anytime they've put a date in an actual trailer, it's stayed that way

Other "delays" are when they casually give an expected release day somewhere else then miss it

Yea I mean BOTW was shown at E3s and stuff for a long while until it finally came out, but the only time they actually announced a release date was when they announced it's release date was the same as the Switch.

This'll definitely come out in 2022.  I mean, it uses the same engine as BOTW and has been in development since either 2017 or 2016

So what does everyone think of the 2021 Switch exclusive list?

(bold = published by Nintendo)

Feb 12 - Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury

Feb 26 - Bravely Default II

March 26 - Monster Hunter Rise

April 30 - New Pokemon Snap

May 14 - Famicom Detective Club 1 & 2

May 21 - Miitopia

June 11 - Game Builder Garage

June 18 - Age of Calamity Expansion Pass Wave 1

June 25 - Mario Golf: Super Rush

Jul 9 - Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin

July 16 - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD

Aug 27 - No More Heroes III

Sep 10 - WarioWare: Get It Together!

Oct 8 - Metroid Dread

Oct 29 - Mario Party Superstars

Nov 12 - Shin Megami Tensei V

Nov 19 - Pokémon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl

Nov - Age of Calamity Expansion Pass Wave 2

Dec 3 - Advance Wars 1+2 Re-Boot Camp

Jan 28 2022 - Pokémon Legends: Arceus

2022 - Splatoon 3

2022 - Breath of the Wild 2

2022 - Project Triangle Strategy

2022 - Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope

no date - Metroid Prime 4

no date - Bayonetta 3

no date - Detective Pikachu

no date - Hollow Knight: Silksong

rumored to be "very close to completion" in 2015 - Pikmin 4

I do wonder if Pokémon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl is their big Holiday release, or if they have 1 more thing up their sleeve

I feel like I'm being trolled

This game is going to sell millions of copies

4 of the 40 best selling Switch games are Pokémon games - that's 10% of the list

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Nintendo_Switch_video_games

I have no interest in playing it, or any other Pokémon game, and I'm sure many JWFanners are in the same boat, but it's still a guaranteed high-selling title regardless of its quality

The GBA remake of gen 1 sold 12 million copies; the Switch remake of Gen 1 sold 13.2 million copies

The DS remake of gen 2 sold 12.7 million copies

The 3DS remake of gen 3 sold 14.3 million copies

There's no chance in hell that this Switch remake of Gen 4 doesn't crack 10 million copies

Heck, the original release of Gen 4 sold 1.5 million more copies than the original release of gen 3

Pokemon is HUGE

I'm not saying it's not going to. It's just not a game to excite people and get them to run out and buy hardware around the holiday season. You save that for a new main game in a big series, not a low budget remake of a game people never really got excited about.

I don't have a clue about Pokemon, but I don't see how this release is seen as significantly more or less exciting than any other mainline Pokemon game.  Pokemon fans seem to get excited for and then gobble up every mainline game. 

Every gen is someone's first gen, and even kids who started on gen 4 are now adults with disposable income who want to relive their childhood

Sure, but Pokemon's first two generations were beyond a certain segment of kids. Same with Breath of the Wild, same with Mario Odyssey, same with Animal Crossing as examples. Usually your shining jewel of the year isn't a low budget remake of a game that isn't considered a classic. Even then, it depends on the remake. 

I don't know if things like "low budget" and "not considered a classic" matters to Pokemon fans, they gobble up all these things regardless of all that

Luckily, there is precedent for Q3 Switch titles not being announced until after e3 - in bold below

2017-10-20 Fire Emblem Warriors (announced Jan 2017)

2017-10-27 Mario Odyssey (announced Jan 2017)

2017-12-01 Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (announced Jan 2017)

2018-10-05 Super Mario Party (announced e3 2018)

2018-11-16 Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee! (announced e3 2018)

2018-12-07 Super Smash Bros Ultimate (announced e3 2018)

2019-10-18 Ring Fit Adventure (announced Sep 2019)

2019-10-31 Luigi's Mansion 3 (announced Sep 2018)

2019-11-15 Pokémon Sword and Shield (announced Feb 2019)

2020-10-16 Mario Kart Live Home Circuit (announced Sep 2020)

2020-10-30 Pikmin 3 Deluxe (announced Aug 2020)

2020-11-20 Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity (announced Sep 2020)

2021-10-08 Metroid Dread (announced e3 2021)

2021-10-29 Mario Party Superstars (announced e3 2021)

2021-11-19 Pokémon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl (announced Feb 2021)

2021-12-03 Advance Wars 1+2 Re-Boot Camp (announced e3 2021)

Yeah, but that's Pokemon fans you're talking about. A big November game has to appeal to everyone. It's the big Christmas game. You can pop out a game in a fan focused series at any time of the year and fans will buy it.

Yea, I just can't follow your logic, it doesn't track for me at all.  Look at what they've done in the Switch era for the past 5 Q3s.  3 of the 5 have mainline Pokemon games.  They are considered big holiday titles by Nintendo, even if they aren't anything you or I or a decent portion of Switch owners care about.

I think that has more to do with the Pokemon people wanting to just crap anything out every November Pokemon related rather than it being Nintendo's big holiday game. Sometimes you get a brand new Pokemon game out of it and Nintendo relies on it to be the big November game, like in 2019, and sometimes it's other things like Mario Odyssey or Luigi's Mansion while Pokemon is still there, it's just a remake or something instead.

I actually forgot that in Q3 2017, they had Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon on November 17th for the 3DS.  So that means 4 of the past 5 Q3s have had a mainline Pokemon game.

It is what it is.

Bill Trinen Says There's A Reason Nintendo's Keeping Breath of the Wild 2's Name a Secret

“As for why we’re holding back on the name, you’ll just have to stay tuned because, obviously, Zelda names are kind of important,” Trinen says during our interview. “Those subtitles… they start to give little bits of hints about maybe what’s going to happen.”

It felt to me like that slow floating castle reveal shot at the end of the trailer was meant to be where the title would be revealed.  They must have changed their mind about revealing it now last minute

Some Nintendo deals for you today

Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit for $75 instead of $100: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08H9KGMWK/

Bravely Default II for $40 instead of $60: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086G788Y2/

Luigi's Mansion 3 for $40 instead of $60: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SK4W1VJ/r

Fire Emblem Three Houses for $40 instead of $60: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DK13HKX/

Super Mario Odyssey for $40 instead of $60: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MY7GHKJ/

Link's Awakening for $40 instead of $60: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SG15148/

Limited Edition SMB Game & Watch for $40 instead of $50: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nintendo-game-watch-super-mario-bros-/6428471.p?skuId=6428471

7 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

sorry i havent posted in a while, moved out of my apartment for a box so i can afford all the nintendo games im excited for later this year.

Switch ones?

Playing through Super Mario 3D world co-op with both my spouse and my kid, and we’ve gotten through all the levels EXCEPT the last world which requires every single green Star, stamp, and gold flag to get to - so guess what mad task we’re working on now…

We're actually on the last level. Getting all the stamps, green stars, and flag poles have been way easier than I remember it being the first time on Wii U. My wife is getting FED UP on the final world. It takes a level of precision and skill that is unforgiving and all the little tiny imperfections in the multiplayer game design are rage inducing. 

Everything from when you're trying to make a tricky jump and the other player gets hit so it pauses the game for a split second which messes up the timing to the perspective being hard to understand. These games really aren't made to be multiplayer. 

We have the first four and a half worlds covered already. If we had known gold flags were a thing while we were playing though, we probably would have paid more attention to the flag thing earlier.  I don’t think it will be too hard until we get to the post-story worlds, as we did a lot of collecting on our way, but some of the later levels were hard enough just to beat.

One of my favorite indie developers (I'm a *huge* fan of both Mutant Mudds and Xeodrifter) is putting out their own Picross game on Switch tomorrow, titled Pictooi

image.png

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/07/like_picross_say_hello_to_pictooi_a_new_puzzler_out_very_soon_on_switch

I bought the Mutant Muds collection and played it for half an hour or so and wasn't really feeling it.  Should I jump to the next game in the collection or just right into Xeodrifter perhaps?

Being that I've played and replayed Mutant Mudds to 100% 15-20 times, and you didn't really respond to it, I don't know if my opinion will be very relevant to you.  I will say that if you weren't feeling the first Mudds, you definitely should not go straight to Super Challenge.  There was a time when I beat Xeodrifter once a week for like 2 months straight (it's a very short game).