The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

This weekend SNL had a sketch featuring Mario, Luigi, Wario, Waluigi, and Princess Peach

Why should they? They make a killing on them. They're more strategic with the releases AND higher in price than they were before so there's no Animal Crossing situation where they end up at Five Below immediately, sold at a loss. 

I buy the odd amiibo still.  It can be a beautiful alignment where I can take advantage of their sometimes near-cheat-code in-game uses while sort of justifying the purchase because when I don't use them for the game, my daughter loves to play pretend with all these random Nintendo character figures.  She loves to play with the Cat Mario and Cat Peach amiibo we got with 3D World.

Ni No Kuni 2 w/ all DLC included coming to Switch this September

I'm sure a bunch of people liked it, but it didn't have anything near the polish and inspiration as the first one, just like most Level 5 sequels are. 

It got us another Joe score which was masterful, as per usual with his music.

I can't recall - does anyone on JWFan play any modern Pokemon games?

Just out of curiosity. I have absolutely no confidence in GameFreak as a developer anymore after crapping out Sword and Shield. That's a game where they literally just lifted assets, copy and pasted animations from previous games, made it super linear, ugly graphics, ran poorly, and that was for a game that was fairly standard. A game like Arceus? Something that actually has to innovate and be different? Forget about it. 

Arceus looks dubious. I know the game’s not finished but it looks pretty average: uninspired graphics, awful frame rate, stilted animations, all while lazily ripping off the aesthetics of Breath of the Wild. 

Gamefreak have really dropped the ball with their IP over the past decade. They pretty much have a license to print money and they can’t buckle down and make anything remotely innovative or interesting.

It shocks me that Nintendo haven’t outright bought the company out to clean things up, but maybe they’re making too much money from their publishing deal. If they were making the games I guess we’d only see one every 5 years, but at least it’d be good.

As much of a Nintendo fanboy as they are, during the Switch era, they've been much more willing to sell out. How many times are they going to release Xenoblade Chronicles? They sell out of the anime pervert market with Fire Emblem to increase sales of that game. They do DLC way more than they used to. Pokemon is just another example of that.

Game Freak used to make super modern games. The graphics on Pokemon Red and Green were wild for the time on Game Boy. It's really around the DS era or so when the games have been falling behind technologically and design wise. I know lots of people love Diamond and Pearl, but those games were UGLY. Most DS games knew to do 2D or just go all in and do ugly 3D graphics. Pokemon did this halfway thing that was ugly. The game ran super slowly too. 

...but people keep buying it. Sword and Shield sold the best since Gold and Silver which was during the absolute craze of Pokemon. The game literally lifts animations from the handheld game 

Then the excuse for not having compatibility with old Pokemon is a lie too. They claimed it takes too long to do high quality models of the old Pokemon. They literally HAVE the models already. They used it in Sun and Moon (which is why those games run like garbage). The "National Dex" argument is misguided. Sun and Moon didn't have a national dex in game. You could import any Pokemon, though. Some would import and no new Pokedex entry would pop up because there was none in game, but it could still come in to the game and could be used. In Sword and Shield they flat out can't get used. Their reason was fake, and modders have even got some old Pokemon in the game. It's not that hard if they can.

The point is, Game Freak is falling behind. Arceus looks SUPER shaky. The animations looked stop motion in the first trailer. I wouldn't be worried if it was someone besides Game Freak making the game. It'll probably be empty and uninteresting. Who knows WHAT is going on with Pokemon, but the issue is they're not losing money yet. Quite the opposite, so this will continue for a long time.

Zelda was falling down from Ocarina to Wind Waker, then Wind Waker to Twilight Princess, then Skyward Sword didn't do all that great so they knew they had to reinvent the wheel. That's why Breath of the Wild was. It worked. The market told them they had to breath new life into the series. Until people treat Pokemon the same, it'll just get worse. Same with Fire Emblem and Xenoblade.

Did that make up for my bleh comments so far?

Twilight Princess way out-sold Wind Waker for the record.  But it's definitely true that the lackluster sales of Skyward Sword motivated them to reset the series.  I just wish they'd also make more traditional, less ambitious 2D Zelda titles alongside the BOTW line.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

I just wish they'd also make more traditional, less ambitious 2D Zelda titles alongside the BOTW line.

Right?

When they sunset 3DS and indicated they had no plans for a successor system and that instead the Switch was a combination of their "home" and "portable" hardware series, I thought that mean we'd get 1st party titles at a pace similar to the combined pace of their previous home and portable lines.  Instead we're basically just getting the same pace as their home consoles and the portable style smaller games have fallen off the face of the earth.  Maybe covid is to blame, I dunno

I think BOTW was such a huge (and honestly surprising) hit that Nintendo became a little more protective of the franchise. As a result, they've limited the game output in hopes of focusing on quality over quantity. The surprising Age of Calamity was probably only done due to its connection to BOTW and an opportunity to explore that "world" in a little more detail.

I'd love another 2D game in the vein of ALBW, but the randomizer for ALTTP keeps me plenty busy and scratches the 2D Zelda game for me at this time.

Yea, I but I wasn't talking about Zelda specifically, I was talking about their entire set of IP

Nintendo still hasn’t announced when their E3 showcase will be.  In normal years they always do it on the Tuesday morning (which would be June 15th this year) but of course that’s timed so that their announcements happen right before the show floor opens.  Since there obviously is no show floor this year, I wonder when it will be around that weekend.

Huh, looks like E3 is Saturday Jun 12 through Tuesday Jun 15 this year.  Surely they'd want to announce titles as early in that window as possible, no?

Wait, will they have an E3 Direct on their youtube channel just before e3?  Or literally be radio silent until they announce stuff during E3 on the official E3 stream?

Bloomberg (that same reporter actually) has been reporting this for months, so either there is going to be one or someone has been having fun for quite some time.  An updated model to allow for higher end games while still maintaining the very popular Switch brand seems like a no brainer, but Nintendo doesn't always make those seemingly easy decisions.

Whether true or false, it seems we'll know for sure in a couple of weeks.

The problem of course is that there is a worldwide chip shortage right now; Not only can people not get PS5s and Xbox Series, but Nintendo can't even keep up with demand for the current Switch model.

If this chip shortage wasn't happening I feel like we might have already had a Switch Pro launched by now; with the shortage, it doesn't seem likely.  But who knows.

Bummer that it's at the end.   Gotta slog through a weekend of non-Nintendo news before finally getting the juicy stuff on Tuesday - while I'm at work :(

Well hopefully there's little bits of Nintendo news here and there from 3rd parties over the weekend.  But yeah basically.  At least it's over the lunch hour here on the east coast though!

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Bummer that it's at the end.   Gotta slog through a weekend of non-Nintendo news before finally getting the juicy stuff on Tuesday

That's always the case. You gotta sit through days of CG bang bang trailers to get to the part of E3 that is actually interesting. 

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Yea except we go to lunch at 1 here

That's what sick days are for.

On 5/28/2021 at 4:52 PM, Jay said:

Even Bloomberg is saying a Switch Pro is coming, in September

Bring it on. I've been wanting a Switch for about two years now, but even then it was old enough that it didn't seem to make sense to pay full price when an update was bound to happen sooner or later. Though I'm really annoyed that it's only happening *after* the (hopeful) end of the (major part of the) pandemic. I could probably have converted multiple days' worth of languishing into Switch playing over the past year.

It was foolish to wait. Nintendo never indicated any upgrade was coming, it's all just rumors. 

It's a great system with a huge library of great games. You would have loved having it for the past two years. 

29 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's a great system with a huge library of great games. You would have loved having it for the past two years. 

Yes, but price-wise, Nintendo is like Apple. Their stuff never gets any cheaper (and apparently even increases in price once a newer system is out). I'd rather pay full price for a new system a year in the future than pay full price for a system that's already several years old right now. It's not like I was in a hurry to get it two years ago - though I might have chosen differently had I known a pandemic was coming up.

I mean. you're going to be swimming in classics by the time you get it now. That's going to be great.

I'm too much of a Nintendo nut to wait years to play a new console of theirs.