POLL: What are the 5 best new themes from the Stars Wars Sequel Trilogy (Ep 7, 8, 9)?

TheUlyssesian

What are the 5 best new themes from the Stars Wars Sequel Trilogy (Ep 7, 8, 9)?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. What are the 5 best new themes from the Stars Wars Sequel Trilogy (Ep 7, 8, 9)?

• Jedi Steps - Ep 7 debut
    • Kylo Ren (All 3 parts) - Ep 7 debut
    • March of the Resistance (Both parts) - Ep 7 debut
    • Poe - Ep 7 debut
    • Pursuit (Often mistaken as Finn's theme) - Ep 7 debut
    • Rey (All 3 parts) - Ep 7 debut
    • Desperation (Often mistaken as Holdo's theme) - Ep 8 debut
    • Luke in Exile (Both parts) - Ep 8 debut
    • Rose - Ep 8 debut
    • Anthem of Evil - Ep 9 debut
    • Farewell/Victory/Rise of Skywalker Theme (See note below) - Ep 9 debut
    • Trio/We Go Together (See note below) - Ep 9 debut
    • Other (Please specify)

For me the TFA themes dominate my rankings, JW built an impressive roster right off the bat that covered a lot of the main aspects of the trilogy (as opposed to the last two trilogies, where many of the important themes came later), and was able to develop them throughout the three films (which kind of gives them an advantage). The three TLJ themes are a little too specific, so don't get as much use out of them, and the TROS themes just come in too late to make a big enough impact for me personally. 

I'd rank them like this:

1. Rey's theme - a beautifully layered work that goes through a number of fantastic iterations in each film. Certainly one of Williams's all time greatest themes.

2. Kylo's themes - each is sort of simplistic, sure, but Williams gets a lot out of them. There's a certain beauty to that simplicity, and thematically the seemingly unfinished nature works well for the character. Many of my favorite musical moments in the trilogy feature one or more of these themes, and the way it transforms in TROS is really the icing on the cake.

3. The Jedi Steps - doesn't get a lot of play, but it is an absolutely perfect melody to capture the awe, excitement, and mystery of finding Luke. It helps that it's one of the few moments in the trilogy where the music does all of the heavy lifting.

4. Poe's theme - controversial, probably, but for me Poe's theme feels quintessentially Star Wars. It only has a few moments where we hear it, but in every moment it puts a smile on my face.

5. March of the Resistance - maybe I'm taking this one for granted, I don't know. A great theme with a lot of fun variations, especially in TLJ. But I guess it just doesn't stir the same emotion in me as the others.

After that I'm not so sure (need to sit with TROS some more), but I'm inclined to put the Desperation theme from TLJ next. Just a jaw-droppingly epic and exciting theme that pairs perfectly with the film.

• 6 months later...
On 12/25/2019 at 3:56 PM, p0llux said:

Knights of Ren Motif - Really enjoyed hearing this motif in the brass.

came here from jj arbams liner notes on ROS. What is the knights of ren motif? I definitely know the music but must have falsely labeled it as something else...