TESB the score is too big for the movie

Luke Skywalker wrote:

Anyway, Alex, are you serious?! Can't you see the difference between the spirits and the holograms in SW?

Since the farewell waving Jedi knights in Return of the Jedi I deliberately call them holograms. You have to understand that, for me, that corny moment wasn't a pretty sight.

I think Roque Leader was being sarcastic, I know I was.

----------------

Alex Cremers

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Joe, why don't you just can it over there.  

Justin, I think everyone here thats been here awhile knows I love the Empire Strikes Back. Its a great film, though flawed, and a great score, which I can't say is flawed. Its not to the level of E.T., but John had more to work with E.T. than he did with Empire. I cannot say there isn't any emotion to ESB because there is. There is that moment when Luke and Han look at each other and don't say a word, but say so much. The love between Han and Leia is so real, and never forced like it will be in the next picture. The ending of ESB, if you can call it that, stopping point is a better term, is very sad, and the end titles are almost the best ever in the Star Wars Saga. I say almost best because the Throne Room is just unbeatable.

E.T. is a great film. I prefer Empire though. Both scores are fantastic. If I could only take one score with me I'd take the Empire set it's better than any of the E.T. releases.

Justin

It's true that overall, Empire provides a more varied listening experience than E.T. But E.T. is still my favorite.

Ray Barnsbury

Hello,

i think ESB is the best moviescore in history.  

John Williams is the master!  

Andreas ( Admin )

COULD ..... NOT ...... AGREE ..... MORE!

With that one 200%! :)

The first time I listened to TESB SPECIAL EDITION soundtrack,I wept.It is not only the pinnacle of JW's career,but the finest score ever written.Complex,diverse and quite beautiful,I still get the same thrill from it as I did in 1980.E.T. has a great theme,and an incredible finale,but as a piece of work,EMPIRE has no equal.Listen to it and you are in awe of what a human being is capable of,of the genius that is John Williams.I have lost count how many times I have listened to Finale and End Titles.It has inspired me for 3 decades now.

Hello,

i think ESB is the best moviescore in history.  

John Williams is the master!  

Andreas ( Admin )

COULD ..... NOT ...... AGREE ..... MORE!

With that one 200%! ;)

I miss Ricard's "No it's not :nono: It's Temple of Doom ! "

when i listen to something like Harry Potter,after the initialk glitter fades I sort of get bored or numbed and say something like what am I getting so excited about after all.EVERY time I listen to ESB no matter how many times it has been,I am reminded how a genus Williams is in every cue.

K.M.Who loves ToD too,but finds the love theme a bit irritating.

It is not only the pinnacle of JW's career,but the finest score ever written.Complex,diverse and quite beautiful,I still get the same thrill from it as I did in 1980.E.T. has a great theme,and an incredible finale,but as a piece of work,EMPIRE has no equal

I must agree once again ;) Empire of the Sunhas no equal: complex (indeed!), varied and oh! beautiful!, the best score ever written.

PBL, I also miss Ricard (as well as his thoughts on Temple of Doom).

My inner-child was taken away by social servicies for SEVERE abuse!  

Justin, its right next to my beautiful model of the Slave 1.

My inner-child was taken away by social servicies for SEVERE abuse!  

Justin, its right next to my beautiful model of the Slave 1.

Hey I got you beat! I got a huge ass model of Boba himself! ;)

A lot of Empire is very modern sounding, which is quite a departure from the sound of Star Wars which is quite a departure from the sound of Star Wars . Believe me, I'm not attacking the score to Empire . I listen to it quite a bit and enjoy it, but it is clearly a departure from Star Wars and I'm not convinced that is necessarily a good thing.

Modern sounding is usually a good thing. ;)

might be the case he does not want to top his own favorite, Close Encounters

I believe that's one of his favourites which includes Schindler's List and Jane Eyre.

And I have to say that the TESB score tends to be so good that it tends to overpower the film. :music: So you are probably right.

best Score ever would be E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, and it did something Empire Strikes Back was incapable of, it won the Oscar.  

What makes you think the oscar counts for anything?

I agree with Joe. E.T. can't be beaten because it has something ESB lacks: heart-stirring emotions.

Nonsense, TESB doesn't lack those. :) Maybe it's less 'overblown' in a romantic or of way but it doesn't lack them. There are several parts of the score that are quite heart string indeed, plus with the variety of the score and that every minute is excellent, that pushes it over ET.