The Witches of Eastwick

First off, I'm thinking about buying Williams' score to The Witches of Eastwick soundtrack on Ebay. There's a sealed one available for $49.99, plus about $10 shipping, and I wondered if this was a good deal or not.

Also, I'd like to know people's thoughts on the score, like the Jane Eyre thread that convinced me to seek out that soundtrack. I've only heard Dance of the Witches on the Fantasy Album, and I love it, so I would imagine that the rest of the score would appeal to me as well.

Thanks,

Ray Barnsbury

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's worth twice as much at least. It's a bargain. Do it. It contains one of Williams's best tracks ever: The Tennis Game. You will not regret this.

----------------

Alex Cremers

If it's cheap you want, I guess you can always ask someone a copy. The issue here is a relatively rare Williams CD for $50. Even with isolated scores, I do not value DVD the same as CD. If it was DVDA, I might think about it.

Or if you want cheap, wait for a rerelease.

If you want cheap, download it if it's there somewhere. Afterall, you can't take it with you.

----------------

Alex Cremers

The Ballroom sequence is simply stunning. Get the score anyway you can. I personally recomend the complete score. ;)

Justin

Thanks for the replies. I wouldn't download an entire score or rip it off a DVD, so it sounds like this one on e-bay is my best bet.

Ray Barnsbury

Ray, just checked eBay and there are several Wittches Of Eastwick CD's by John Williams, but they are ALL the complete bootleg, not the rare and out of print OST CD.

So you would be paying 50 bucks for a bootleg.

Just thought you should know.

Stefancos- who thinks Ray might as well get the DVD then.

Really, wow. Thanks for checking, and how did you tell? Does anyone have a pic or tracklisting of the OST?

Ray Barnsbury

Maybe, but I was going to take advantage of the opportunity to get the real thing, which is apparently not what I found on Ebay. I didn't have my heart set on getting that particular score, I was just glad to find a rare soundtrack available.

Ray Barnsbury

Really, wow.  Thanks for checking, and how did you tell?  Does anyone have a pic or tracklisting of the OST?

Ray Barnsbury

I know things about bootlegs, Lily. - Frank Horrigan

I have that boot, or atleast a copy of it, that's how I know.

Stefancos- who has never seen the OST.

Here a pic and the tracklist from the OST.

witches-cd.gif

The Township Of Eastwick (2:47)

The Dance Of The Witches (4:57)

Maleticio (3:20)

The Seduction Of Alex (2:40)

Daryl's Secrets (3:55)

The Seducion Of Suki and The Ballroom Scene (7:05)

Daryl Arrives (2:35)

The Tennis Game (2:52)

Have Another Cherry (3:25)

Daryl Rejected (3:03)

The Ride Home (3:22)

The Destruction Of Daryl (5:39)

The Children's Carousel (1:54)

End Credits (The Dance Of The Witches Reprise) (4:57)

Stefancos- up way to late.

And info about the bootleg:

witchesboot-cd.gif

1 The Township of Eastwick (2.50)

2 Daryl Arrives (2.48)

3 Forgotten Name (0.34)

4 Daryl Van Horne (1.59)

5 The Seduction of Alex (2.41)

6 Insane Felicia (3.01)

7 The Seduction of Jane (0.41)

8 The Tennis Game (2.52)

9 The Seduction of Sukie (3.03)

10 The Ballroom Scene (4.04)

11 Scandal in the Church (0.53)

12 Have a Cherry! (0.50)

13 Have Another Cherry! (3.25)

14 The Witches Quarrel (0.43)

15 Devil's Call (0.41)

16 Daryl Rejected (3.04)

17 Maleficio (3.22)

18 Alex and Daryl (1.35)

19 Voodoo Witches (0.24)

20 Daryl's Secrets (2.56)

21 Spitting Cherries (0.42)

22 The Ride Home (3.33)

23 The Destruction of Daryl (movie version) (3.36)

24 The Children's Carousel (1.54)

25 The Dance of the Witches / End Credits (4.47)

26 The Ballroom Scene (alternate version) (4.57)

27 The Destruction of Daryl (alternate version) (3.39)

28 The Dance of the Witches (alternate version) (4.57)

BONUS TRACKS

29 Family Plot Theme (3.52)

30 The Mission Theme (3.24)

Links about the boot and normal release:

http://www.classicalrecordings.com/johnwil...itches-boot.htm

http://www.classicalrecordings.com/johnwil...ms/witches1.htm

I find the complete score to be fine but then again I don't hear anything wrong with Murphy's stuff so... ;)

Justin -Who thinks the sound on the boot is as good as any official album.

Stefancos- who has never seen the OST.

I have one,but I bought it around 1990 in a discount bin.Anyhow,I doubt there still exist "factory sealed" copies.They all sold out way before anyone would think of buying spare copies and keep them unopened untill they could sell them on e-bay which didn't even exist then.

K.M.Only missing an "Accidental Tourist" official copy.

Are there still any of those Expanded "Witches of Eastwick" out there for sale still?

I bought mine a while back and was uncertain if any place still carried em.

I know some guy who wants to sell his Witches bootleg CD, but hasn't told me the prize yet.

Hope it's 50€ or less, because if not, i won't buy it.

BONUS TRACKS  

Is this conducted by Williams? And is it from the OST?

Does the boot/iso score sound as horribly dry as the official album?  

Marian - considering it hardcore Murphy.

It's Armin Steiner. Even the mastering is done by our beloved Armin.

BTW, why does it always have to sound a certain way? This is film music. Original Star Wars albums sound dry too. Listen to the penetrating strings of The Township of Eastwick. Wow! Me like!

BUT...

Why is everyone selling their bootlegs? Seems to me that everyone wants to ditch their expanded version of The Witches of Eastwick. Is there something wrong with the bootleg sound?

----------------

Alex Cremers

I know some guy who wants to sell his Witches bootleg CD, but hasn't told me the prize yet.

Hope it's 50? or less, because if not, i won't buy it.

BONUS TRACKS  

Is this conducted by Williams? And is it from the OST?

The Family Plot Theme is the original theme that Williams composed and was used in the film "Family Plot".

Hmmm...it's NOT worth twice as much considering you can get the DVD with isolated score for much cheaper then that.

Steef, the DVD isolated score, as you poin t Ray to it, does it suffer from constrained fade-ins and fade-outs inside the dialogue-heavy parts? If it doesn't, I would consider making CD-R off of it. There must be nothing to it, then! You'd get the score in its entireness for the money below a HP score price (the DVD sells pretty cheap around here, around $13.99)!

What region is the United Kingdom, anyway? I thought they were 2 as well as we. If I manage to get the UK's release, will it play on my DVD? My friend bought a few in the UK where he voyages 6 times per year, and he can play them all perfectly, so I hope Witches won't be the unpalatable exception... I shall ask him to get me a copy soon. :-)

Thanks, Steef.

Roman.-)

Sorry I came into this discussion way late, Ray. In the Reviews page there is a review I wrote many years ago about "The Witches of Eastwick." Check it out.

And don't let these guys talk you out of getting a bootleg (PM me if interested). It sounds fine to me.

Jeff -- who coincidentally ate cherries this weekend and thought of the cherry scenes

i'm just informing him about the fact that the Cd's on Ebay are NOT the rare and OOP OST's.  

And I'm very grateful for that. :lsvader:

Ray Barnsbury

It's Armin Steiner. Even the mastering is done by our beloved Armin.

Ok. I wasn't sure if Murphy did this, and I didn't check my cover (if it says so on the outside - being a CDR copied from an ex-colleague at work, I don't have the inside of the covers ;), my point being that it sounds like Murphy, whether it's him or not. :)

BTW, why does it always have to sound a certain way? This is film music.

Oh, it doesn't have to. And to tell the truth, I'm not as hardcore-anti-dry-sound as I used to be anyway. When I criticize a recording for being dry, I usually mean it's so dry it just doesn't sound natural at all anymore.

Original Star Wars albums sound dry too.

But there's still lots of air, which makes the music sound real.

Listen to the penetrating strings of The Township of Eastwick. Wow! Me like!

I dunno, I always though the strings suffer most on Witches....they sound like half of their sound didn't even make it onto the recording, if that makes any sense. :)

Marian - who should listen to it again.

Since this is such a rare score of Williams' in terms of the uniqueness of the score itself and the limited availability, I purchased the dvd, which I found for 10$ at Blockbuster, and whenever I want to listen to it I put in the isolated score.

Ted, who almost always skips right to the end credits every time to listen to the phenomenal music in them

just doesn't sound natural
they sound like half of their sound didn't even make it onto the recording
Quote:  

Original Star Wars albums sound dry too.  

But there's still lots of air, which makes the music sound real.

The strings sound like real strings and nothing but real strings to me. Especially in The Suduction of Suki and the Ballroom scene. Maybe something is wrong with your copy since your not listening to the original CD. These strings do sound very real on my CD.

But I admit, this must be the one of driest recording in the 80s.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I have heard some great things about this score. Why is it so rare? I have thought about getting this CD for a while now but i couldn't find it anywhere. It isn't avaliable on amazon or anything! After a while i just put it to the back of my mind, but now i'm frustrated again because this topic revived my desire to have this score! So why is it so hard to get a copy of?

I think the bootleg is made up of the original c.d. tracks when available and the unreleased music is from the Lazerdisk,not the DVD,so there might not e fade ins and fade outs,and if there are,only on the unreleased tracks,which is about 15 minutes of music..i think.

K.M.

Okay, call me ignorant, but I'm not aware of how to isolate the score on a DVD. Does it depend on the DVD or the DVD player or what? There are several movies in which I would like to be able to listen to parts of the soundtrack that aren't included in the score, or that I don't have the score for. Any information would be helpful.

Maestro

Only a very limited number of movies have isolated scores. Witches, Superman, and Tomorrow Never Dies are the only ones I can think of. You typically access them like you do alternate languages or (an even better example) commentaries.

I believe there is a drib more to find. Well, you forgot a very splendid one, "Alien", and a very awful one, "Erin Brockovich".

Despite the long silences between each cue, the "Alien" isolated score is very easy to isolate onto MD or CD-R as it doesn't fade in and out. You get the score in its entireness, which is all the more treasurable since the score had never been available on a score CD outside of the few cues on various compilations. It only takes a little elaboration to note down the start and end marks of each sound track to facilitate isolating.

Stefancos- who owns the DVD and spend a full day trying to find the iso score. :)

That was somehow the funniest thing I have heard this week.

the score had never been available on a score CD outside of the few cues on various compilations.

Wrong, Silva Screen released a CD containing over 35 minutes of the score (10 tracks)

I believe it's no longer in print, but i'm not sure.

Stefancos- who thinks a complete re-release is overdue.

Stefan, I need your helping hand on this. I went to a video rental yesterday to find out what DVD version of Witches of Eastwick we have here and the inlay says this:

"Selecting MUSICAL SCORE ONLY from the LANGUAGES/SOUNDTRACKS Menu allows you to hear John Williams' score minus the dialog and sound effects. In scenes where no music exists, periods of silence are normal on this audio track."

This is the Region 2 DVD I wrote up about. It's very cheap and it claims to HAVE the score within the content of the disc. Is it the isolated thingy I'm after? Is this what you had troubles locating on your DVD? Tell me quick how it stands because I would love to buy it yet today, but if it has no musical score although it says it has, I won't go for it.

Thank you!

the score had never been available on a score CD outside of the few cues on various compilations.

Wrong, Silva Screen released a CD containing over 35 minutes of the score (10 tracks)

I believe it's no longer in print, but i'm not sure.

Stefancos- who thinks a complete re-release is overdue.

Yeah I had always believed there was an original CD release of this. Even if it was VERY limited. I know a guy a while back who had this CD.

Not very limited at all to my knowledge. Pretty much everyone interested in it seems to have it, and I didn't have any problems buying mine a few years ago.

Of course, it's missing lots of great music, and the sound quality is rather disappointing (same on the DVD iso).

Marian - hoping for a DE.

Stefan, I need your helping hand on this. I went to a video rental yesterday to find out what DVD version of Witches of Eastwick we have here and the inlay says this:

"Selecting MUSICAL SCORE ONLY from the LANGUAGES/SOUNDTRACKS Menu allows you to hear John Williams' score minus the dialog and sound effects. In scenes where no music exists, periods of silence are normal on this audio track."

This is the Region 2 DVD I wrote up about. It's very cheap and it claims to HAVE the score within the content of the disc. Is it the isolated thingy I'm after? Is this what you had troubles locating on your DVD? Tell me quick how it stands because I would love to buy it yet today, but if it has no musical score although it says it has, I won't go for it.

Thank you!

Interesting, if it says so on the cover then it should contain an iso score.

The version i have has no mention of an isolated score track like yours.

I believe the iso score was dropped from the version i own so they could add more language tracks (English/French/Italian), the UK release probably only has an English track, possible the Thech version only has English and Chech, making room for an iso score.

If i were you i'd go for it.

Stefancos- who now feels more robbed by Warner Bros then ever.