A Young Person's Guide to the Cello (aka RIP, Lynn Harrell)

Thor

A very sad loss. He was incredibly talented, and also a loving generous human being. He definitely was one of JW's favourite soloists, he performed with him several times, both in concert and in recordings (last time was just last year for the Anne-Sophie Mutter project).

A few years ago he also acted in a powerful short film titled Cello, playing the role of a cellist diagnosed with ALS and his battle with the sickness through music. The film features a very lovely score composed by Randy Kerber (one of JW's preferred piano players and also a fine orchestrator for people like James Horner), with cello solos performed by Lynn Harrell himself. The music is lovely, it has some Williams/Horner callbacks here and there.

https://www.cellomovie.com

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

Idk why 1:36-1:48 sounds especially Williamsy to me. It’s reminding me of something.

There are several moments throughout where Kerber used some Williams and Horner mannerisms (in a good way). It's lovely music.

12 hours ago, Bespin said:

Experts, can you suggest some scores with great Lynn Harrell passages?

I don't know if he ever did film scores as soloist. He certainly recorded with JW and Anne-Sophie Mutter for the Across the Stars album, on both The Chairman's Waltz and Prayer for Peace tracks.

He has recorded quite a lot of classical albums over the course of his career. Some of the most celebrated are the Tchaikovsky and Beethoven Piano Trios he did with Vladimir Ashkenazy and Itzhak Perlman in the early 1980s.

RIP Mr Harrell. He seemed such a warm and sweet person and was a wonderful musician as well.

Thanks, there's Elegy too:

p_887158373572.jpg

We'll Paint You a Rainbow (2013, Nightengale Records, 887158373572)

Music conducted by John Williams: Somewhere Over the Rainbow (performed by Christine Brewer); Music composed by John Williams: Elegy (performed by Lynn Harrell).

146230.jpg

https://open.spotify.com/album/2868LWRTCgY4U5qAJb5l3I?si=PicoLrsxTMWJNXrDGTk3Og