Katharine Hepburn 1907-2003

Screen and stage legend Katharine Hepburn has died at the age of 96.

One of the greatest actresses ever, she has delivered an incredible body of work starting in the early 30's till the mid 90's.

A women with presence and character who could have you glued to the screen just by doing nothing at all.

My favorite film with her is The Lion In Winter, were she played the Oscarwinning role of Eleanor of Aquitaine. Those scenes between her and Peter O'Toole are absolutely brilliant. (Patrick Stewart and Glen Close have some very big shoes to fill in the upcoming remake.)

After the death of Gregory Peck a few weeks ago, and now Miss Hepburn, it will soon be the end of the era when Golden Age Hollywood stars roamed among us. (Kirk Douglas is still going strong though)

Atleast they leave a rich legacy.

Stefancos- ...

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't enjoy The Lion in Winter, as much of a soap opera as it was, but Guess Who's Coming to Dinner was particularly superb (with the aid of Tracy and Poitier), as I remember it.

With both Hepburn legends now gone, it truly is the end of an era of Hollywood -- a time for which I grow only more nostalgic, though I never knew it.

Lion in Winter is my favorite also (Also for O'toole's magnificent performance, as counterpoint). She was also very good in On Golden Pond.

I personaly didn't like her in all the old comedies- like 'Bringing Up Baby'- which is ridiculasly in the National film registry -and 'Adam's Rib' where I thought she really wasn't good, although that's compared to Tracy, who was fantastic.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 12, 1907 to June 29, 2003.

4 Oscars, and 51 films. RIP

One Christmas (1994) (TV) .... Cornelia Beaumont

Love Affair (1994) .... Ginny

This Can't Be Love (1994) (TV) .... Marion Bennett

Man Upstairs, The (1992) (TV) .... Victoria Brown

Laura Lansing Slept Here (1988) (TV) .... Laura Lansing

Mrs. Delafield Wants to Marry (1986) (TV) .... Margaret Delafield

Grace Quigley (1984) .... Grace Quigley

... aka Ultimate Solution of Grace Quigley, The (1984)

On Golden Pond (1981) .... Ethel Thayer

Corn Is Green, The (1979) (TV) .... Lilly C. Moffat

Olly, Olly, Oxen Free (1978) .... Miss Pudd

... aka Great Balloon Adventure, The (1978)

... aka Great Balloon Race, The (1978)

Rooster Cogburn (1975) .... Eula

... aka Rooster Cogburn... and the Lady (1975)

Love Among the Ruins (1975) (TV) .... Jessica Medlicott

Delicate Balance, A (1973) .... Agnes

Glass Menagerie, The (1973) (TV) .... Amanda Wingfield

... aka Tennessee Williams' The Glass Menagerie (1973) (TV) (USA: complete title)

Trojan Women, The (1971) .... Hecuba

Madwoman of Chaillot, The (1969) .... Countess Aurelia

Lion in Winter, The (1968) .... Eleanor of Aquitaine

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967) .... Christina Drayton

Long Day's Journey Into Night (1962) .... Mary Tyrone

Suddenly, Last Summer (1959) .... Mrs. Venable

Desk Set (1957) .... Bunny Watson

... aka His Other Woman (1957) (UK)

Iron Petticoat, The (1956) .... Vinka Kovelenko

... aka Not for Money (1956)

Rainmaker, The (1956) .... Lizzie Curry

Summertime (1955) .... Jane Hudson

... aka Summer Madness (1955) (UK)

Pat and Mike (1952) .... Pat Pemberton

African Queen, The (1951) .... Rose Sayer

Adam's Rib (1949) .... Amanda Bonner

State of the Union (1948) .... Mary Matthews

... aka World and His Wife, The (1948) (UK)

Song of Love (1947) .... Clara Wieck Schumann

Sea of Grass, The (1947) .... Lutie Cameron Brewton

Undercurrent (1946) .... Ann Hamilton

Without Love (1945) .... Jamie Rowan

Dragon Seed (1944) .... Jade

Keeper of the Flame (1942) .... Christine Forrest

Woman of the Year (1942) .... Tess Harding

Philadelphia Story, The (1940) .... Tracy Samantha Lord

Holiday (1938) .... Linda Seton

... aka Free to Live (1938) (UK)

... aka Unconventional Linda (1938) (UK: reissue title)

Bringing Up Baby (1938) .... Susan

Stage Door (1937) .... Terry Randall/Sims

Quality Street (1937) .... Phoebe Throssel, aka Olivia 'Livvy' Throssel

Woman Rebels, A (1936) .... Pamela Thistlewaite

Mary of Scotland (1936) .... Mary Stuart

Sylvia Scarlett (1935) .... Sylvia Scarlett, aka Sylvester Scarlett

Alice Adams (1935) .... Alice Adams

Break of Hearts (1935) .... Constance Dane Roberti

Little Minister, The (1934) .... Babbie

Spitfire (1934) .... Trigger Hicks

Little Women (1933) .... Josephine 'Jo' March

Morning Glory (1933) .... Eva Lovelace

Christopher Strong (1933) .... Lady Cynthia Darrington

Bill of Divorcement, A (1932) .... Sidney (Credits)/Sydney Fairfield

:cry: Yeah, I heard about this lost this morning. I agree with Stefan ( :) ), I also loved her in The Lion in Winter (yes, Ross, I'll never get tired of recommending it). It's a must for all those who love great scores, great stories, great acting, smart dialogues, complex characters.

She also did other brilliant characters, filling them all with ther characteristic intensity.

I always think "better dead than dying".

Katharine Hepburn, though, is unlikely to die. Movies like The African Queen, Bringing Up Baby (a personal favorite), The Philadelphia Story, or Little Women -- they will always be played somewhere. And there she will be.

She is one of my favorite actresses of all time. I absolutely adore her in films. From Morning Glory, Philadelphia story, Bringing up Baby, Woman of the Year, Desk Set, Adam's Rib, Guess Who's coming to dinner, The Lion in Winter, Suddenly last summer, The African Queen, Stage Door, Mary of Scotland, Dragon Seed, Holiday, and others, I have them all on video and DVD and was completely floored that she died. She had a long and fantastic career and of course and incredible life. She will live on in my house and indeed in most of the world forever!!!

I wanted to put a picture, but I can't find the attachment thing!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Yeah this is a really sad tragic death.

Hepburn was a far more talented actress than so mant of the lame stars we have today. She was one of the real gems from the Golden Age of Hollywood which sadly ended a LONG time back and has now left us with one over-hyped CG driven crap fest after another.

This is an old 1950's poster of the reissue of Bringing Up Baby from France. It hangs in my Kitchen.

img_0226.jpg

To bad I've only seen The African Queen, but she was great in that. Not another legend dieing. :)

I always think "better dead than dying".  

Ask the dieing about that..... they are worried about dying because of being dead you know. ;)

Ask the dieing about that..... they are worried about dying because of being dead you know. :)

I just like that he spelled "dying" two totally different ways in the same sentence.

Neil

What a way to return to the board....:)

Kate was one of the few women in cinema--ever--who could communicate entire soliloquies of emotional content without ever saying a word. She was almost like the female Ben Kingsley of the silver screen: silence was as valuable a tool in her repertoire as words ever were.

She will be missed....

- Uni

On July 1st, at 8 pm, all the lights in Broadway theatres were dimmed in honor of Katharine Hepburns passing. Also, on July 10th, Turner Classic Movies will air 24 hrs of the late great actress's greatest films including Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, Philadelphia Story and The Lion in Winter. Enjoy and remember!

Golden Age actors and actresses will come back to live in the motion pictures they've left behind, and this will be with each time we project their movies.

I was watching "In The Still Of The Night" last night and been solidified in my belief that Meryl Streep really belongs in the Silver Age hall of fame. The good times are not dead yet. They don't get beaten by some bad movies that are being shot recently, I think.

Also, on July 10th, Turner Classic Movies will air 24 hrs of the late great actress's greatest films including Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, Philadelphia Story and The Lion in Winter. Enjoy and remember!

I hope the Australian TCM does that too! :) I really need to see more of her movies.