Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Marian, I think that theme represents something of an inability to cope with magic, as it is both used for Neville, and for the Dursley's. I used to think it had something to do with flying, but that way it would be kinda weird to have it as underscore for the Dursleys.

I have to give The Face of Voldemort another listen, to figure out the thematic elements right.

And Merkel, what you're saying is right, because from what I've read, Williams actually read the books before writing the score, one of the few occasions he actually dove into the material before writing the themes. As I understand it, he usually writes a main theme or two, and then when he spots the movie with the director, he goes in deeper, writing music to go with the scenes.

- Marc

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The theme is used in PS when Harry takes flight for the first time so it wouldn't have anything to do with Neville. I don't think that the theme is supposed to have a specific identification other than he probably needed a musical idea for that scene that would convey a sense of dark, wizadry heroism, adventure and flight.

Its inclusion during the Dursleys seen worked pretty well but I think its a mistake to read into clues about the themes' meaning from COS because of the whole adaptation thing. There seemed to be a lot of choices made about thematic use that were more born of the time constraint and the reuse of earlier music, then out of any decision about thematic content. Its partly for this reason that I'm skeptical about the Slytherin theme. Are you talking, Marian, about the fast, staccato motif that is first heard in the scene with the snake in PS and used in a slowed down way during COS?

- Adam

That's the one I'm talking about when I say Slytherin theme. In COS, it's used during the whole Crabbe & Goyle sequence, but also in PS it seems to make sense in that way as well. See the Quidditch match for example, it could be a fitting counter-theme for the Gryffindor theme that's used there as well.

And Marc, were you talking about the same sweeping string theme I was? I honestly can't imagine that relating to muggles or anything un-magical....it's probably the most magical theme in the entire score. ;)

I see what you're saying but I'm still not so sure...

I think this may be another case of a musical idea that isn't necessarily supposed to have a specific representation. I see it as a tool to provide varying degrees of comic energy and fun underneath the sequences. I think its application is more consistent if seen this way but I could be wrong. It will be interesting to see how its used in the future...

- Adam, who's been trying to ban himself from the message boards until a much later date but can't seem to stop contributing to this thread

Hogwarts Forever is perfect for Hogwarts. It seems that this would be playing on a Hogwarts graduation instead of Pomp And Circumstance.

Adam, who's been trying to ban himself from the message boards until a much later date but can't seem to stop contributing to this thread

Just post something of a religious nature and I'll ban you. ;)

Neil

Ironically, I would probably be banned for less time for saying something religious than my self-imposed ban is going to be. In that light, its tempting to use this opportunity to give my 10 point summary about the evils of organized religion but good taste prevents me..

Adam, partly wondering if even that crossed a line

And Marc, were you talking about the same sweeping string theme I was? I honestly can't imagine that relating to muggles or anything un-magical....it's probably the most magical theme in the entire score. :)

Oh, sorry. No, I meant another theme. I don't have the soundtrack with me right now, so I can't really look it up, but one of the times it's featured with the Dursley's is when Uncle Vernon reads Harry's letter. I also think it plays in the main menu of the CoS DVD 1.

- Marc, who needs to listen to PS again, but is busy listening to his new scores.

;) A Gift of a Thistle from Braveheart

This thread has been fantastic to read. I don't really think I can contribute much coming in so late, except to agree with those who love both HP scores. I especially agree with Adam and KM's thoughts about the CoS score, and how it was used sloppily in the film but is wonderful on album. On a rather random sidenote, I really missed the theme from Hogwarts Forever (call it what you will) in CoS; I hope Williams brings it back for PoA, since he will supposedly be producing a full-fledged score for the film.

Ray Barnsbury

The theme you are all talking about, ait's called "Nimbus 2000". I know that at one of his concerts a piece was played, and that was what it was called, however I wasn't there so I don't know if it's the same one I'm talking about. For those people (myself for instance) who purchased the Philosopher's Stone and/or Chamber of Secrets piano book know that one of the pieces is called "Nimbus 2000", the staccato piece heard in the second half of Hedwig's Theme. I'm hoping it's that one, anyway. Williams called it the theme to Harry's broom so I'm guessing it's supposed to be the main flying theme in the scores. Hence nearly every time you see an owl this theme is played. But it's also used in comic, bumbling instances. The obvious, Neville's Squib-like nature and behaviour and Crabbe and Goyle's comedic stupidity. It's fitting for the Dursley's idiocy also.

To previous posts about the sloppiness of the score heard in CoS I think there are several cues/pieces which were fantastic but not heard in either album. The castle-panning blasts and Ollivander's theme, used for Hermione's petrified state in CoS were excellent, but alas, maybe the next album (a full-release would be even better). I also loved the choir vocals and use of the 'Chamber' theme when the messages on the wall appeared. In the movie the score is very rushed, like in this instane but would benefit from a release on album, as these parts would be extended. It happens a lot in movies when sound effects drown out music to hide the fact that five seconds of it have been cut out. That's what the sloppiness in the movie score was mainly.

I would have ranted on some more, but it would have gone too far away from the topic: How Good Is The Philoshopher's Stone Score?

I don't trust Williams' names and description for this themes anymore I'm afraid. He might call it "Nimbus 2000", but to me it neither sounds like it nor does it seem to be used in that way.

Some places where I remember it being used:

The snake in the zoo. Snake = Slytherin.
  • Mr. Longbottom Flies - It could refer to Malfoy stealing the rememberall.
  • Quidditch - As I said above, this theme for Slytherin and "Hogwarts Forever" for Gryffindor (it's at least once clearly played to underscore a Gryffindor score).
      Marian - expecting Williams to write the first Indy love theme for the 4th movie.

The main problems I have with callling this Sltherin (though I agree it has nothing to do with Nimbus 2000) are the following :

1. There are lots of scenes with Slytherin where this theme is not used

2. In Mr. Longbottom Flies, the music is used for Neville's antics well before Malfoy becomes involved

3. The snake in the zoo would be a kind of abstract Slytherin connection especially since there are many more overt connections that he doesn't make throughout the movie

I do think with the Quidditch match that the theme in a couple places morphs into something with a litte darker edge to highlight something Slytherin is doing (like scoring a goal). In other places it just seems used to give the scene a frantic energy like when the Quidditch match first begins.

What most these scenes have in common is a certain lively, mischieviousness sense of fun. Its almost not a theme so much as it is a rythmic motif that injects PS with a certain comedic energy, I think. In COS, the motif loses its energy and becomes a more slapstick, comedic motif. But, again, what Marian says has enough validity that I'm open minded about this.

- Adam

I'm actually thinking of doing an analysis of the soundtrack. I've got some rough things on paper already, but I think it's going to be difficult, since I don't know a lot of technical terms, especially not in English, and I've never done something like this before. It may take me a week, it may take me a month, or I may never finish it. But when I do, you'll be able to find it here in this thread. I think it's going to be fun to do, but it'll mostly be something I do for myself.

- Marc

Calling rhe Nimbus 2000 theme a Slytherin theme is something that strikes me as very odd. First of all, it doesn't have the musical characteristics a Slytherin theme should have. It's playful, almost comedic and how on Earth can we guess they are the bad guys from that music?

I like to call that theme "Nimbus 2000", as Williams does. It's a dual theme. It seems to me it's associated not only with flying, but with "quirky magic" - those scenes where magic is used for "leisure", which usually involves comedy. Of course, my guess is it was composed as a flying theme, but it soon became a suitable theme for light, funny scenes, so it was used there for its musical characteristics only.

. It seems to me it's associated not only with flying, but with "quirky magic" - those scenes where magic is used for "leisure", which usually involves comedy.

I agree,I don't see it connected specifically to Slytherin either.When Crabbe and Goyle are walking around in CoS,it's used the same way as say,the thieves sneaking around in Home Alone,in the same type of comical way.And when it's used for the Dursley's in CoS and the snake at the zoo in PS,it's also in scenes intended to be amusing.If there was a theme for Slytherin,it would be darker.

To me the flying motif is the soaring strings that follows it in some instances,like in Mr Longbottom Flies or in Hedwig's Theme.That part of the music is similar to the flying theme in Hook.

And to me the motif for Quiddich and what I believe Williams calls "Nimbus 2OOO",is the brass fanfare we hear in part of the Quiddich Match music and Harry's Wondrous World.

K.M.

Hmm, I'll have to re-check, but it does sound like a dark theme to me, and neither comedic (except when it's arranged in a comedic way, see the snake and Crabbe & Goyle) nor fun. :mrgreen:

Marian - who never noticed Quidditch music in HWW either.

:) Lionheart (Jerry Goldsmith)

Marian - who never noticed Quidditch music in HWW either.

the same fanfare is used in the movie when the Quiddich teams come on the field and the crowd is cheering,then just after Harry realises that he caught the snitch,leading into his theme.In HWW it's in the last third of it,just after the middle section with the "family" theme.The Nimbus 2000 concert piece is an arrangement of that.

K.M.

I completely agree with Ender and KM about the theme, which I, like Ender, call Nimbus 2000. That's what it's called in the music books, though perhaps Williams bills it as Quidditch in concerts . . . I always consider the Quidditch theme like KM described, the brass fanfare. But many of the HP themes, particularly the one I called Nimbus 2000, have been used quite loosely, as has been pointed out earlier in this thread. Much of this is probably because of the fact that Williams was unable to score CoS completely, though it was apparent somewhat in SS. Moving on, I love imagining the use of the themes in the upcoming movies. There should be a great rendition of Voldemort's theme (or perhaps the more subtle You-Know-Who theme) during Trelawney's prediction in PoA, for one. *blissful sigh* This is a great thread.

Ray Barnsbury

I completely agree with Ender and KM about the theme, which I, like Ender, call Nimbus 2000.  That's what it's called in the music books, though perhaps Williams bills it as Quidditch in concerts . . . I  

Ray Barnsbury

The Pops concert suite is at the end of the PS boot(at least mine).and Williams narrates over each of the cues to explain them.So that should settle it.

K.M.Who will re-check and scribble down what Williams says.