12. I Have A Light Day
13. Trenchcoats vs. KGB
14. Arrested
15. Cold Soup
16. Breakdown
17. When You Come Home
18. Maybe We Are Only Two People

Total time - 40:57

I feel like it's been a while since we've heard a new Abel K score, where's he been hiding?

Yes, it's been a while since I was excited for a new Korzeniowski (his last great one was ROMEO & JULIET in 2013, IMO -- I'm not a big fan of the PENNY DREADFUL stuff, unlike most other people, nor NOCTURNAL ANIMALS, LOCKE & KEY or THE NUN), but I'm always eager to check out what he has to offer.

I got to know his music and was quite excited with "A Single Man".

I didn't care much about Penny Dreadful season 1.

But all the waltzes from Penny Dreadful season 2 are stunningly beautiful.  

But I also heard a lot from him that left me unimpressed.

I think he is one of the most interesting lesser-known composers working right now, but it's too bad that he does not work that much. I like Nocturnal Animals and A Single Man a lot, and Romeo and Juliet is one of my favorite scores of the last ten years or so. 

I really hope this new one is in the same style of those, because I'm not really a fan of his more horror-sounding scores.

He had an amazing stretch with METROPOLIS (rescore), A SINGLE MAN, COPERNICUS STAR, W.E, ESCAPE FROM TOMORROW and ROMEO & JULIET, but then I haven't been that impressed with the works since. I also got the EARLY WORKS 2CD set, which ranges from interesting to kinda alienating.

This COURIER thing seems rather too modern for his post-minimalist romanticism, but I won't pass any judgement untill I've heard it.

To rank Korzeniowski really higher in my hit list he uses for my tast too often this obvious simple song-like four chord structure and put some random melody on top. That gets used up pretty fast.

So, it pretty much depends on, if I like his melodies or not.

Apart form that he has a very nice and natural sound in his mostly chamber like orchestra pieces.

I will give this new one a listen.

JUST OUT: THE COURIER - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack with music by Abel Korzeniowski is now available on digital platforms.

https://music.apple.com/.../the-courier.../1556910012
https://open.spotify.com/album/0eDjcAQF01QZ6FBQeJlKDO

composer's note:
"My main inspiration for the score was the constant anxiety, relentless suppression and grotesque absurdity embedded in everyday life behind the Cold War’s Iron Curtain. Since I lived that life myself, having grown up in communist Poland, this is still very personal. 
The sound is raw and rough at times, like a concrete wall of the prefabricated social housing of that period. For sake of authenticity, we recorded in a large, old scoring stage in Warsaw with Orchestra Sinfonia Varsovia, which infused it with the characteristically expressive and emotional Eastern-European sound. My music follows the impossible transformation of Greville Wynne, from an average, money-oriented businessman, to a selfless hero, from a five-bedroom house in Chelsea, to a Soviet prison cell. The score’s centerpiece is a waltz, representing the reckless cloak-and-dagger ploy and the growing friendship between a rookie British spy and a Russian defector."

track list:
01. Spies and Typewriters
02. Iron Curtain
03. First Contact
04. Greville
05. Secret Meeting
06. Prelude
07. It Has To Be You
08. Eyes Of The State
09. Cigarettes
10. Cuban Missiles
11. One Last Trip To Moscow
12. I Have A Light Day
13. Trenchcoats vs. KGB
14. Arrested
15. Cold Soup
16. Breakdown
17. When You Come Home
18. Maybe We Are Only Two People
Total Duration: 40:57

album credits:
Music composed, orchestrated and conducted by Abel Korzeniowski
Score Producer: Mina Korzeniowski
Composer Assistants: Alexandre Wyse Cote, S. Peace Nistades
Music Editor: Stuart Morton
Score recorded at the Polish Radio Studio S2 in Warsaw, Poland
Orchestra Contractor: Patrycja Bukowska
Orchestra: Sinfonia Varsovia
Music Scoring Mixer: James Thomas Hill
Additional Score Recordist: Tadeusz Mieczkowski
Mastering: Patricia Sullivan at Bernie Grundman Mastering Studios
#TheCourierMovie

https://www.facebook.com/abelkorzeniowski/posts/10159216955164214

Listening now. It's pretty good, okay-ish at the very least. I never expected old-school Viennese waltzes to feature (Abel has previously "hidden" these classic idioms behind a more modern, minimalist style), but there you go!

I like the score, but if you played this for me without knowing who the composer is, I would say it's Desplat.

It's like he's imitating him. The way the piano and percussion is used. Very odd for Korzenwioski, since he always has such a distinct sound.

But it's an e joyable score, so not really a big deal for me