The Official David Newman Thread

Bespin

Because it didn't exist!

David is the older brother of Thomas and Maria Newman.

Now, talk to me about this recent Hoffa expansion...

I have nothing to say about the HOFFA expansion (I didn't even know there was one), but I like David in general. My alltime favourite is probably THE PHANTOM (although I have issues with the film, mostly because I'm very connected to the original comic book series), but also shout-outs to THE AFFAIR OF THE NECKLACE, OPERATION DUMBO DROP, PARADISE, THE WAR OF THE ROSES and FIRE BIRDS. Several other fine ones too, but that's a great start.

I have been a big fan of his ever since BOWFINGER, although that was a bit of an odd score.  He definitely had a weird musical tic of repeatedly composing comedy scores with close variations on a simple rising and falling melody -- you hear it everywhere in those scores.  Nevertheless, I do favor his comedy scores, and just wish more of them had official releases.  

Same. That's one I heard after a friend kept raving about it, and especially once we managed to reassemble a previously SFX riddled cue. I've heard some random recommendations here and there, so it's someone I'll get to more down the road.

Scooby Doo is one no one really mentions, but I'm more fascinated by how he managed to score two different live action iterations of the characters. So I have a vague curiosity there in terms of if he changed his approach between both or kept it all the same.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
On 06/06/2023 at 9:37 PM, SyncMan said:

Bummer!

Postponed due to SAG-AFTRA strike.

Postponed.png

• 3 months later...
On 06/06/2023 at 9:37 PM, SyncMan said:

On 24/08/2023 at 10:10 PM, SyncMan said:

Bummer!

Postponed due to SAG-AFTRA strike.

Postponed.png