Seven Years in Tibet, and the lack of score in the movie

Pelzter

IMO, the main theme to Seven Years in Tibet is one of the most beautiful pieces of film score in the 90s, and Williams' talent in a nutshell. But a few days ago, after seeing the so-so movie for a second time, I was appauled at the lack of score actually present in the movie! Many of the beautiful, sweeping passages on the album seems to have been omitted, and apart from the last ten minutes of film, the pieces of score which do make appearences, are presented in a fashion way to low-key for such a film... Frankly, I find it scandalous. Thoughts?

--Pelzter.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I completly agree. It's one of Williams finnest achievements and the score is sadly underused. It's one of the few good things about the movie, but it's hardly noticeable.

But a few years later, to compensate JW, Annaud ahd Schindler's List inserted in Enemy at the Gates.

there is not much resemblance between Schindler's List and Enemy at the Gates (which is my favorite Horner score).

I also like Seven Years in Tibet (both the film and score, though the music is better). The main theme is not underused. It's played 5 times more or less, just when the film needs it. A short score, true, the ones i like.

I'm sorry Peio, but the other day I was watching enemy the gates with several peopel that are by no means soundtrack collector, and they all asked what was Schindler's List doing in that movie.

The score may be still great though, but that theme is flagrant.

Horner's Schinder's List motif was also used in Apollo 13 from 1995, and hopefully not in movies produced prior to 1993...

--Pelzter

A SLIGHT resemblance, but they are very different in my opinion. Moreover, there are more (excellent) themes in Enemy at the Gates

schindlerenemy.jpg

Don't you think it's a striking coincidence similar themes in movies dealing with similar thematics?

And as I said, I'm not judging the score as a whole.

Holocaust is different from War. And different movie genre. And different approach from Spielberg/Williams and Annaud/Horner.

Schindler's List is more lyrical, whereas Enemy at the Gates is more descriptive (action cues for the battles, e.g.)

Scoping in just the theme, the instruments are different (violin for Schindler, mandolin for Enemy). The chords are not the same either (more complex in Schindler). The melody is similar, but not enough to think of some plagiarism.

:P

Yes, and his parents were thrown to a river, both tied, with just one shot :( That's why she wants to fight (Vasili Zaitsev supports her, but Danilov doesn't).

But not every 'jewish' film music must be based on Schindler's List (for example, Kilar's awful The Pianist).

Referring to the original topic, I watched the film recently as well, and didn't hear that more poignant string theme (not the main theme) at all in the film. I was disappointed, since I know it from the Greatest Hits track and like it a lot.

Ray Barnsbury

Well,it's one score album that ended up better than whatever music made it into the film.I remember the music beeinfg butchered,but i haven't seen the film since 1997,and I don't plan to either,so I don't care.

But I think there's a nice version of the main theme in the underscore that didn't make it on the c.d(when there's a panoramic view of some mountains somewhere in the film)

K.M.

The best version of the main theme that isn't in the soundtrack, IMO, is towards the end when Heinrich is leaving Tibet. Its a nice French horn solo with interesting string counterpoint. The scene with the train is on the soundtrack, I think. I'm not sure what theme you're speaking of, Ray, but all of the themes appear in the movie, I think. There's a nice little motif that's used in the end credits that contrasts with the main theme. I don't think it appears in the main of the movie - so maybe that's what you mean.

Overall, people are right to criticize the score's treatment in the movie. Its one of the worst I can think of for JW. Angela's Ashes comes sort of close and we all know about the prequels. There's an epic scene towards the beginning with wide camera angle shots, beutiful scenery, the whole business and there's literally NO music. Instead of being treated to JW's epic theme, conjuring up the grandeur of the Himilayas and the sense of the perilous, sad journey we're instead transported to a documentary. Lots of other places where there's music but its pretty clearly a rewrite where he was told to tone it down several notches. So potentially poignant scenes are treated to wandering flute of some sort. There's music that is some of my favorite of JW's at about 3:00 into track 9 with the piano and cello counterpoint. Absolutely heartbreaking if it had been allowed to stay in the movie, I would imagine. Oh well...

- Adam

I'm not sure what theme you're speaking of, Ray, but all of the themes appear in the movie, I think. There's a nice little motif that's used in the end credits that contrasts with the main theme. I don't think it appears in the main of the movie - so maybe that's what you mean.  

Yes, I'm sure that's it. I meant that it didn't appear in the main film; I do remember hearing it in the credits.

Ray Barnsbury

When I saw Seven Years in Tibet I didn't particularly notice the score at all. Now after hearing the main theme in the Greatest Hits CD and having been incredibly impressed with Yo-Yo Ma Plays the Music of John Williams, I may very well purchase the soundtrack sometime in the not too distant future. I take it that it's a worthy score and an enjoyable enough listen on its own?

CYPHER

I remember hearing several nice cues in the movie that are not on the CD. :(

Marian - who doesn't often play the CD, partly due to it being a bit boring as a whole, and partly because of Murphy's over-done bass.

A SLIGHT resemblance, but they are very different in my opinion. Moreover, there are more (excellent) themes in Enemy at the Gates

schindlerenemy.jpg

You should be ashamed, Peio, a musician like you... it is a rip off. It's structurally the same, it rests in the same notes, same rythm, applied to the same historical topic, and even a musical deaf recognizes the similarity. It's an escandalous rip off. If as you say, Horner does show talent in the rest of the score, then why he had to copy this theme? :) Schindler's list theme is based on very conventional chord progressions, you only have to play them for a minute and improvise until a decent theme comes out. Horner was just lazy...again :P

As for the AMAZING Seven Years in Tibet, this is one of the scores that makes me respect so much Williams. His blending of ethnic percussion and choir, the lyricism, the developments and cohesion of the whole work surparses whichever movie it was meant to accompany. I could never appreciate this score in the movie itself. So many silly directors out there...

I really must agree that seven years in tibet is one of the best scores of Williams made in the 90's!

Secondly I have to agree that the lack of using various score is also a considerable lack of justment of Annaud and his men, but then again when I think very closly that part of the score that is being used is well placed and displayes how well Williams can capture a moment of film and make it take your breath away.

For instance the main theme used to slide over the mountains or the invasion when the chinees invade Tibet, well done. The best moment (IMO) is the part in which Heinrich is climbing with his son Rolf at the end of the movie and in which the piece regaining a son is used. Really it captures the moment!!