Star Wars Visions

DarthDementous

I’m not the biggest fan of this show but it does yield some interesting ideas and lots of interesting compositional takes on Star Wars, which is fun.

• 4 weeks later...

Comparing season 1 and 2 feels like apple's and oranges.

Personally I prefer season 1's stories, and it's wildly different animation styles, but I also very much also liked the variety of season 2's animation, with it feeling more diverse than season 1, but think story wise this new season was maybe lacking.

I'm not entirely sure but episodes 3, 4 and 9 seemed to be stop motion and Aardman to me was the best, especially in terms of animation, the others felt kinda janky like frames were missing, but Aardman was completely fluid and as always had a brilliant British sense of humour about it (but that's probably just personal biases).

For this second season it feels like it takes a few more liberties with canon, while season 1's episodes could almost fit within the main canon, this second season feels like it would be more suited to legends.

But overall this season was fun and I enjoy the verity of takes on stories that could happen in a galaxy far far away, 

There's not a lot of discussion on this show, so I will share my thoughts on the first 4 episodes of the second season, to see if someone else wants to comment them as well

Sith: Spectacular animation style, very artistic, and quite important to the inner message of the story, using the painting as a metaphor for the Force, and the balance between light and darkness. It was cool hearing the two voice actors, which are quite famous in Spain. One of the best so far in terms of pure artistic style!

Screecher's Reach: Cartoon Saloon has done my favorite short of the show so far! Their animation style is so unique and it perfectly fits within the Star Wars universe. I particularly liked the apparently innocent dynamics, before the story turns quite frightening and scary, and the resolution is quite dramatic and stunning. Also, quite enjoyed the score in context. Chilling and emotional.

Into the Stars: The stop-motion animation style reminded me of Laika Studio movies. The story was beautiful and I really liked the dynamics and the relationship between the two sisters, which makes the climax a lot more intense and emotional. I quite like the message it gives away, even if the story is nothing really innovative. I also liked the main theme a lot, and the different variations we hear through the episode.

I Am Your Mother: Defintely a more lighthearted adventure than the previous ones and I really enjoyed it for what it is, a fun and cute short, with a beautiful mother-daughter relationship at the core, and brilliantly animated by Aardman. I tend to prefer the darker and more emotional stories, so I wasn't as big a fan of this one as the previous ones, but it's still great nonetheless.

Overall, I think I'm enjoying more this season than the previous one, which felt a bit more uneven in terms of quality. The first season had The Duel, The Village Bride and The Ninth Jedi, which are my favorite ones from that season, but the first three of S2 are mostly on par with those, and I really like that they give total creative freedom, which allows for some unique takes on the Star Wars lore, both in terms of stories and visuals. 

On 06/05/2023 at 12:34 AM, Groovygoth666 said:

I'm not entirely sure but episodes 3, 4 and 9 seemed to be stop motion and Aardman to me was the best, especially in terms of animation, the others felt kinda janky like frames were missing, but Aardman was completely fluid and as always had a brilliant British sense of humour about it (but that's probably just personal biases).

3 and 9 were CG simulating stop motion, they built the models, and recreated them with CG.

On 06/05/2023 at 12:34 AM, Groovygoth666 said:

For this second season it feels like it takes a few more liberties with canon, while season 1's episodes could almost fit within the main canon, this second season feels like it would be more suited to legends.

I felt the opposite, since here there was a bunch of Empire focused episodes and what they do are pretty much canon, invading vilages, destroying civilizations, slavery. And those Jedi x Sith shorts could very well be in the Old Republic.