Pirates & Bad Boys 2 score

UCFKevin

Don't know if anyone here has any interest in Bad Boys 2 or it's score, I have a feeling folks here won't care for either, but the movie itself is ridiculous and over the top and a hell of a lot of fun, action packed and really damn funny, but the score.........sucked.

The first one's score was almost a little quirky with that great main theme for the two leads, and then it had a good bad guys theme and action theme, but this new one, it basically lacks any themes for anyone. There are a few "Ohh ohh oh ohhh!" that sounds a lot like that Braves chant fans do, but not having Mancina on the flick sorta took just an eensy bit away from the enjoyment of the flick for me. It was just one long rock/hip-hop track. Feh!

Pirates score...well.....it sounded a lot like Gladiator. TOO much like Gladiator, often times damn near exactly like it. It was enjoyable and well done but it wasn't very original. Kinda disappointing. I thought Goldsmith did the score? Or was his score rejected? I can't quite remember. I'd buy the movie's score CD if it had one, though, that's for sure, could be fun to drive to. Ditto for the first Bad Boys score.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alan Silvestri was dropped from Pirates of the Carribean citing those dreaded "creative differences". Don't look for a boot of that score either. He never got to record it, and according to him his Tomb Raider II score does not use any of his rejected Pirates material.

Neil

At first I thought Bad Boys II might be a nice sequel, but after seeing the trailer and finding out it was 2 and a half hours i'm just not gonna bother with it.

The first one running 118 minutes was to long already, and I cannot imagine having a good time watching one carcrash or explosion after another for 2 hours and 30 minutes.

Instead i'll dust off my Lethal Weapon DVD's and watch some REALLY good action films.

As for the score, Mancina did a good job with the first one, the theme was atleast nice, a pity they rejected his score.

Stefancos- who expects BBII to be a foulmouth overly long piece of nothingness directed by the master of nothingness.

That's probably because it IS just that.

If you go into a Michael Bay movie starring Will Smith and Martin Lawrence and expect anything else, that's your own fault.

Don't think it's going to be some smart, intriguing, thought provoking piece about the human mind, it's just a huge action/comedy that doesn't make any sense but is incredibly entertaining and fun.

I liked Bad Boys and I loved the Rock, but with Armegeddon Bay really overdid it with the lightspeed edits and camera style, obnoxious sound and actors screaming at each other way to much.

I'm sure BBII will be an extention of that style, and i have no interest in getting my eyes and ears assaulted on for 2,5 hours while my brain has nothing to do.

If you go into a Michael Bay movie starring Will Smith and Martin Lawrence and expect anything else, that's your own fault.

I know exactly what to expect of a Bay film, and i'm not gonna spend my money on it.

And I still think this film has no bussiness being longer then 100 minutes.

Stefancos- who thought Pearl Harbor did do a good job in subjecting the audience to the pain and suffering those marines must have gone through on 07-12-1941. ;)

As for a little insight into why Alan Silvestri's score was rejected..... Bruckheimer told media ventures that if any of the composers working on Pirates gives him any woodwind floureshes it will be rejected. How's that for stupidity when it comes to writing swashbuckling music?! And so far, I know of 6 composers who wrote material for Pirates but there were more.... So really, it's not one composers work but w huge mishmash.

Stefancos- who expects BBII to be a foulmouth overly long piece of nothingness directed by the master of nothingness.

I thought I was the director of nothingness.

Hitch, amused at Stefan's lack of devotion for us directors

Well, I for one enjoyed "pirates" and everything about it -- including the score. But then, I've gotten the feeling over the last couple of months that this board is full of downright cynical critics (very few works of music seem to be appreciated around here, outside of Williams' stuff). I do not go to a movie to judge it or its score. That being said, if something about the music or something else seems "off," well that can ruin a movie, but I DO NOT analyze anything about film. I intend to spend my money and sit back for a couple hours and enjoy -- forgetting myself for that period of time.

So, yes, I enjoyed "Pirates" andit's music, but I cannot really recall anything particular about the score (aside from sitting through the credits at the end of the film and enjoying it).

I know this sounds unusually harsh, but it gets to me when very little praise flows and instead bitter bile gushes out.

I agree with Ocelot when it comes to the score for "Pirates". One really wonders how the score is said to be composed by Klaus Bedelt, when one only needs to watch the credits to see that Zimmer and the rest of Media Ventures had their signature written all over it. I think the score was very good, but I find the Media Ventures "sound" is starting to sound to unoriginal and bland. I guess thats just the thing about synth orchestral material, is it just doesnt have any character. I for one would have prefered a Silvestri Score; something along the lines of his compositions for Mummy Returns would have been much better. Im gonna wait to hear the score on CD before I make my final judgement.

Matt C

I think the score was very good, but I find the Media Ventures "sound" is starting to sound to unoriginal and bland. I guess thats just the thing about synth orchestral material, is it just doesnt have any character.

Question: what do you mean "synth?" Studios aren't using real orchestras anymore?

Well, to my only basic understanding, Bedelt, Zimmer and most of the media ventures crew will compose their score with the aid of synthesized orchestra tracks to ?pre-visualize? instead of a more formal method of composing with the use of a Piano. When it comes to recording the score with a full orchestra, Media Ventures? Gregson-Williams will actually use the orchestra to its full glory in his final completed scores, after using this synth technique. However Zimmer and Bedlelt seem to send the orchestra back into the synthesizer. Goldsmith for example would add synth material on top the score, layering the synth while leaving the orchestra track alone. Zimmer and crew usually rely heavily on the use of synthesized instruments and elements in the final mix. Using the orchestra as just its own separate element, it is manipulated to fit the synthesized tracks, instead of vise versa. This is my understanding of it, but I may be wrong. Its a different way of scoring, which can gather good results, like Gladiator. I like it, its just doesn?t sound as fresh anymore. I guess I just prefer a natural full orchestra performing a Williams, Goldsmith or Horner score. I don?t think this is a BAD way or scoring, it?s just different. I enjoy it, but as I said before, it just sounds to unoriginal.

MattC

MV does have a bland sound to most of their scores. At times they can show promise but it quickly fades back to the synth sound. At times some of their music can literally be headache inducing, see Armageddon. At times it sounds like someone is just pounding on a synth with no musical direction at all. Even Trevor Rabin, who is not a MV clone and is classically trained from what I've heard, has the same problem. I watched a special on HBO when Deep Blue Sea was released and it had a section devoted to the score. The music performed by the orchestra alone actually sounded quite good but when the music was mixed for the film he must have filtered it back thru the synths or mixed them because it had that MV sound.

To me Gladiator was ruined because of the music. I actually found the score to be annoying & distracting while watching the film. That movie screamed for a pure orchestral score.

Maybe it's just me but when I watch a film scored by those composers I just get the feel it's all recycled material.

I'm sure BBII will be an extention of that style, and i have no interest in getting my eyes and ears assaulted on for 2,5 hours while my brain has nothing to do.  

That means there are approx. 5000 seperate shots in this film, using Bay's tradition 1,2,3,2,1 editing sequence.

The average shot in this film is 1.8 seconds long, how could anyone be bored by that?

That style can be effective, but not for the full duration of a 2 and a half hour film.

90 minutes...or 100 tops is the maximum length such a film can be without becoming either intolarable or just plain boring.

The Rock was a near perfect film, but it ran slightly to long. (especially that over the top car chase should have been trimmed down)

Stefancos- who is sure Morlock is cursing him right now.

Zimmer and Bedlelt seem to send the orchestra back into the synthesizer. Goldsmith for example would add synth material on top the score, layering the synth while leaving the orchestra track alone. Zimmer and crew usually rely heavily on the use of synthesized instruments and elements in the final mix. Using the orchestra as just its own separate element, it is manipulated to fit the synthesized tracks, instead of vise versa. This is my understanding of it, but I may be wrong. Its a different way of scoring, which can gather good results, like Gladiator. I like it, its just doesn?t sound as fresh anymore. I guess I just prefer  a natural full orchestra performing a Williams, Goldsmith or Horner score. I don?t think this is a BAD way or scoring, it?s just different. I enjoy it, but as I said before, it just sounds to unoriginal.  

MattC

When I first heard that Badelt was doing this score, I was extremely excited. I for one adore his score to the Time Machine. The score is lush and melodic, with great thematic development that really displays his gifts as a composer. The action music in the second half of that score got a little to "fake" I though, with the overuse of synth and not much genuine action music. But in terms of the soft music, the orchestra was left in place with no intrusions of the synth sound and it was oncredible. I was hoping for something a little bit more orchestral for Pirates, but the end product isn't that bad I think. Its not original, but then again, neither is the movie. The music is really a combination of some of the best MV melodies. Like I said before, not a hint of originality is contained in the score, but it is very fun. Though I still think that Sinbad is a more complex, and overall better score, and that Gregson-Williams may be the best composer to come out of Media Ventures.

Ted

Though I still think that Sinbad is a more complex, and overall better score, and that Gregson-Williams may be the best composer to come out of Media Ventures.  

Yes, most definitely. Gregson-Williams doesn't have that loud, generic MV sound at all, at least in his wonderful score to Sinbad. I really hope he continues to compose on his own like this; he has done great work so far and I'm excited about what he will do in the future.

Ray Barnsbury

He did have a lot of the MV style in Antz. But I do consider Chicken Run a truly great score.

Marian - big fan of that film and score.

:mrgreen: Tirol Concerto (Philip Glass)

Here's to that! ;)

Ted

The average shot in this film is 1.8 seconds long, how could anyone be bored by that?

Easy, you likely will lose interest because it's too busy. :) Bay could learn a thing or 2 from The Hulk, it certainly has very exciting action scenes.

I think Bad Boys 2 is a crappy movie.... a stupid script.... uninteresting characters.

Bruckheimer told media ventures that if any of the composers working on Pirates gives him any woodwind floureshes it will be rejected. How's that for stupidity when it comes to writing swashbuckling music?!

So right...

And steffy, you think the Japanese were beaten in 1 year? :cool:

Bad Boys II was more than a crappy movie, it was absolutely horrendous. Never has watching a movie been so painful.

Pirates score...well.....it sounded a lot like Gladiator. TOO much like Gladiator, often times damn near exactly like it. It was enjoyable and well done but it wasn't very original. Kinda disappointing.

I finally saw Pirates of the Caribbean last night. At times it sounds very close to Gladiator. As far as film scores go, this was probably the least inspired score this year. It was awful. It sounded nothing like pirate movie music but instead it was merely generic Media Ventures action music that could have been used in any movie. It was really a worthless score.

Neil