THE BOYS

Quintus

Gen V 1x08 Guardians of Godolkin

Hmmm, that was somehow both a big, satisfying climax to all the stories of the season, and also underwhelming?  I can't really put my finger on why it felt a little less than it could have been for me; it touched on all the storylines, had a bunch of action and deaths, character arc completions, triumphs, losses, action, deaths, etc.  Maybe it was the somewhat confusing and rushed ending....

Ashley in the board meeting was funny as always, and that director guy had some funny scenes too.  Doing a school shooting parallel with Supes killing innocent non-Supes was interesting, but honestly inevitable in this world they've set up.  I think the most interesting angle touched on here was the idea that using your powers long term can have side effects, but that was not explored very much (maybe it's going to be the major plot point of The Boys season 4?)  It was great seeing Butcher again as you know this Supe killing spree will bring more people to his side of killing all Supes, but the Homelander cameo was disappointingly short, especially with no explanation given to why Marie was able to survive his eye blast.  I guess we'll find out in season 2!

If you don't like The Boys, you don't like this. If you like Karl Urban as the nastiest cunt in the world, you will like this. If you don't like explicit scenes of exploding penis you don't like this. If you like satirical political commentary, you will like your GEN V as much as your Boys

I dunno, I read a few reviews that say that the only things Gen V could replicate from The Boys are the gross out dark humor and satirical commentary, but not the quality of writing and complex characters of the main series. 

Yea the cast is not half as good - neither the characters as written or the actors they found to play them. But it's still more fun than a lot of stuff made these days, and has some interesting world building for season 4 of the main show

Completely forgot to post them here.

I thought the finale was great. I was a bit worried when I saw it was only 37 minutes, but it turned out it actually worked this way.

Sure I would've liked to see more of Homelander when he showed up. But on the other hand, I thought he was really terrifying this way. The last time Homelander felt this threatening to me was during the plane in S1. He has of course had it's moments of brutality and threats, but something here made it just work for me.

I loved the power ups of some of the characters. Cate is frightingly powerful. And I wonder she always has to touch people with her hands or if it's just touch or other ways. I hope something cool gets done with it in S2.

It was great to see Marie power up in full and to see what she learned throughout the season. But the cutting to scenes from earlier in the series was a little corny I though and didn't entirely work.

Ashley and the film director were both hilarious. Especially Ashley during the boardroom scene.

Andre is still the least interesting character I feel and Jordan was underused this episode.

One of my favorite scenes was the (verbal) fight between Emma & Sam. Sam said some really awful things and has gone full villain together with Cate. Emma then shrinking was really interesting in that it somehow has to do with her emotions. Looking forward to exploring that more.

The ending was pretty nuts and a great set up for S2 (or The Boys S4, which can't come soon enough as it looks like Homelander is winning some kind of political thing, which is nuts)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...