External Blu-Ray Drives

Drew

Looking for recommendations for an external blu-ray drive. Not wanting the price range to be more than the $100 range. 4K UHD Blu-Ray support would be nice but is not mandatory. And it obviously needs to have ripping capabilities (I hear that some of the 4K drives try to prevent ripping).

On a similar note, why on earth haven't the prices for these things gone down at all? Blu-Ray is 15+ years old now! Is Sony's licensing fee responsible for this?

Just get whatever has good reviews on Amazon or New Egg and is around $60-$70. They're all the same

If you want a 4K drive that can rip, it needs to be flashed with old firmware or the disc cannot be read.

Some useful info here: Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2022 - www.makemkv.com

If you don't want to flash your own drive, you can always buy one pre-flashed like I did a few years ago.

• 3 weeks later...

I stopped looking for one. Every time I'm in a hardware store, they have everything but Blu Ray drives. DVD it remains. They clearly don't want to make this accessible to the general public. DVD drives are 100 times easier to find.

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/08/2022 at 12:14 AM, filmmusic said:

I have this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264849119450

It plays 4k discs fine (with VLC and menu support, or MPC without menu support).

I have it for over a year and no problems so far...

I bought this drive BTW, thanks for the rec.

Well, I haven't actually gotten it yet, so maybe I shouldn't thank you yet! :P 

44 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I bought this drive BTW, thanks for the rec.

Well, I haven't actually gotten it yet, so maybe I should thank you yet! :P 

I hope you don't have any problem.

Do you want it for just Blu-rays or UHDs too?

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm only planning to use this drive to rip my HD and 4k blu rays, not to play them.

To be fair, being able to play them helps with cataloging and identifying the rips.

So... now that I'm in the business of ripping 4K blu-rays.... is it possible to make that enormous file size smaller without noticeably sacrificing video/audio quality?  (bearing in mind I'm especially not an audiophile)

I made a promise to myself that I was never going to spend money on an HDD again, that I was solid state from now to eternity.  Few more years yet before external SSDs with that kinda capacity are affordable!

For the same reason anyone rips a music CD: convenient access without having to bother the with the physical disc as well as being a backup of the discs.  I put all my video files on my Plex server so I can stream them to my TV from the computer.

52 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

For the same reason anyone rips a music CD: convenient access without having to bother the with the physical disc as well as being a backup of the discs.  I put all my video files on my Plex server so I can stream them to my TV from the computer.

Problem is, for 600+ films on Blu (not counting the various TV series!), I'd already need up to 30 TB of hard drive space (calculating with 50 GB per Blu, which is surely more than most of them use, but then many release have two or more discs). And considering how many weeks (or probably months) it'd take to rip everything, I'd want a RAID setup to make sure I don't lose everything when the drive becomes faulty.

(Even my ripped FLACs take up 832 GB already)

It would help protect against dying discs though. I already got a couple that went faulty on me. Super annoying when it affects (persumably) the lower layer and everything works fine until you're halfway or two thirds into the film and it suddenly freezes.