Poledouris Cherry 2000

thestat

I remember when it used to be commonly referenced as the rarest and most expensive soundtrack ever as someone had reportedly paid a couple of thousand dollars for it. Not sure if it’s true or not! Mind you, despite having been reissued some years ago, it’s probably fairly hard to find again now if not quite so pricey.

Yes, it's a weird one. The score is brilliant but the film is totally forgotten. Tom's correct - it, alongside Fiedel and Serpent and the Rainbow were literally the most expensive soundtracks ever issued.

Another Basil that has been mistreated is his amazing score for Quigley Down Under. Literally watched that epic tonight after dismissing it as some sort of Magnum in Australia scheisse. It's actually not a bad precursor to Costner's Dances with Wolves with its politics of indigeneity and human rights (despite the white saviour bollocks).

Basil's score is a beauty overall - the main theme totally misrepresents the score as some jaunty good-old-times, but the rest is amazing epic action or really emotional melodies:

This epic melody for Laura San Giacomo's character is fantastic>

I believe Steiner's THE CAINE MUTINY is generally considered the most rare and - at a time - the most expensive soundtrack that ever changed hands. But yeah -- I remember the insane price for CHERRY 2000 once upon a time. I had to suffice with a CD-R at the time, which I still own.

Quiqley Down Under: Selleck dealt with the Australian genocide of aboriginales a week before Costner cast his happy white saviour net on it in the the US context

Both are terrible examples of white saviour narratives in the old 'transcontinental' west. They all have brilliant scores. Let's focus on those.

These are white men interpreting attacks from 'Indians' - they are historical documents of enslavement, corruption, colonialism and exploitation.

And that is why the only thing that works here is listening to an ironic interpretation of fascism (but one that is arguably too good in sounding fascistic):

An anthem for Hitler or an ironic self aware piss-take