Restored Isolated Score: The Godfather

Holko

It could be especially interesting in this case, because Godfather is one of THE Films that's a beloved, much studied standard - and here even scholars can probably see a lot of surprises, including some very weird early approaches that were dropped undoubtedly for the better.

This is a weird case of my having seen and heard absolutely nothing whatsoever from any of the films, except for the waltz.

I have to say that my first impressions from skimming a few of those clips are not good - the intended music very much feels like overscoring the movie and for me dates it considerably earlier than the early 70s. It's a different era of film and scoring than where my tastes are.

26 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

the intended music very much feels like overscoring the movie

While I do agree that many cues definitely overscore their scenes, I also want to say that not counting source music it's an hour of score for a 3hour movie, and by a very rough off the top of my head estimate 10-20 minutes of that hour were left unused without being replaced.

I agree that in terms of quantity that's sparse scoring, but I think style is just as affective, and having a very front and centre orchestra for this sort of character movie doesn't feel right to me.

But as I said, the basic approach of this score is completely not for me - far too classical and bold for my preferences so I'm pre-disposed not to like an isolated version of it.