The Official Michel Legrand Thread

Bespin

Michel Legrand: The Grand Master Of French Cinema | uDiscover

I'd like to introduce "The Official Michel Legrand Thread." Here, we can delve into the exceptional contributions of Michel Legrand to the world of music. From his film scores to his jazz and classical works, Legrand's talent has left a lasting impact.

Please feel free to share your thoughts, favorite compositions, and anything related to Michel Legrand's musical journey. Let's explore his rich legacy together in this space.

Looking forward to engaging discussions!

I have to say, I was really enthusiastic about his work on Yentl and wanted to hear more from this genius. But everything else (I don't even remember, what it was) didn't really click with me. Same by the way with Georges Delerue. Never became my cup of tea. But I accept the judgment that this must be the fault of my pure ignorance.

Well done, @Bespin!

He's a much loved, yet a much overlooked composer, along the lines of North, Schifirin, and Rosenthal.

I'll offer up this opening gambit: I like the score for NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN.

I know it's the STAR TREK IV of James Bond scores, but, along with GOLDENEYE, I can't imagine the film having any other score.

38 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

He's a much loved, yet a much overlooked composer, along the lines of North, Schifirin, and Rosenthal.

He's probably overlooked on this forum, probably because his music is more in the vein of popular music. I the real world, I'd say he's not overlooked.

image.png

"The Thomas Crown Affair," scored by Michel Legrand, is a 1968 film directed by Norman Jewison. The movie stars Steve McQueen as the wealthy businessman and art thief, Thomas Crown, and Faye Dunaway as the intelligent investigator, Vicki Anderson. Legrand's music combines jazz, classical, and pop elements, enriching the film's atmosphere and character dynamics. The score received critical acclaim for its seamless integration with the visuals, enhancing the cinematic experience. With its stylish heist plot and captivating performances, "The Thomas Crown Affair" remains a timeless classic, and Legrand's score stands as a remarkable achievement in film music history.

image.png

Summer of '42 is a 1971 American coming-of-age film with a score composed by Michel Legrand. The film, directed by Robert Mulligan, follows the poignant journey of Hermie, a young teenager who falls in love with an older woman during World War II.

Legrand's score for Summer of '42 is widely regarded as one of his most outstanding works. It seamlessly blends a delicate mix of romantic and melancholic melodies, perfectly capturing the film's emotional depth. The music's evocative nature draws viewers deeper into the narrative, enhancing the movie's impact.

The score's timeless quality has endured for decades, continuing to resonate with audiences, and solidifying its place as one of Michel Legrand's finest compositions.

https://www.discogs.com/release/10427294-Michel-Legrand-Summer-Of-42The-Picasso-Summer

On 04/08/2023 at 1:20 PM, GerateWohl said:

But everything else (I don't even remember, what it was) didn't really click with me.

Haven't you heard The umbrellas of Cherbourg? That main theme is to die for.

Other than that, I have listened to 2-3 scores but I don't remember anything of them.

5 hours ago, Bespin said:

image.png

Summer of '42 is a 1971 American coming-of-age film with a score composed by Michel Legrand. The film, directed by Robert Mulligan, follows the poignant journey of Hermie, a young teenager who falls in love with an older woman during World War II.

Legrand's score for Summer of '42 is widely regarded as one of his most outstanding works. It seamlessly blends a delicate mix of romantic and melancholic melodies, perfectly capturing the film's emotional depth. The music's evocative nature draws viewers deeper into the narrative, enhancing the movie's impact.

The score's timeless quality has endured for decades, continuing to resonate with audiences, and solidifying its place as one of Michel Legrand's finest compositions.

https://www.discogs.com/release/10427294-Michel-Legrand-Summer-Of-42The-Picasso-Summer

You're using AI to describe the plots of the films and musical qualities of the scores you listen to now? 

@Jay I just wanted short texts to introduce the two classic scores of Legrand, which are on the AFI 250 list, to someone who didn't know them or the subject of the movies.

5 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Other than that, I have listened to 2-3 scores but I don't remember anything of them.

Of course, this album is a classic, but I wonder how it can be fully appreciated by someone who doesn't understand French. The music is great, and the voices too; undoubtedly, the lyrics are very touching as well. However, I concede that it must be difficult for someone unfamiliar with the language, like an American, to fall in love with this score.

"Devant le garage" is a poignant song from the film "Les parapluies de Cherbourg" (The Umbrellas of Cherbourg). In the song, Geneviève, the main character, sings about her feelings as she stands in front of the garage where she works. She expresses her longing for her lover, Guy, who has been drafted into the army. The lyrics convey her sadness and hope, as she dreams of their future together despite the challenges they face. The song beautifully captures the bittersweet emotions of love and separation, making it a memorable and heartfelt moment in the film.

Each time I hear this song, I cry.

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

@Jay I just wanted short texts to introduce the two classic scores of Legrand, which are on the AFI 250 list, to someone who didn't know them or the subject of the movies.

I honestly thought I was in the Last Score You Listened To thread when I wrote that lol

My mistake! 

5 hours ago, filmmusic said:

I am not sure. So, I will give it another listen as I usually seem to like what you like.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

I am not sure. So, I will give it another listen as I usually seem to like what you like.

Watch the YouTube video I've posted; it's the movie rendition of the main theme, a duet version that's truly moving. It's so emotional that it might bring tears to your eyes.

Finally, after this scene, Guy goes to war, and there's a heart-wrenching scene when Geneviève comes back to the garage years later and sees Guy, who is now married with a child. Geneviève is also married, and she struggles with the fact that she cannot reveal to him that her little girl is, in fact, his own...

Here's a more light-hearted great song from an earlier scene in the movie.

The score from the Summer of '42 is pretty short; I think it's only 16 minutes (you can see the 2004 Intrada release through the link I've provided in my previous post).

The score consists of variations of a unique theme, and here it is.

A few words about the box set 'Les moulins de son cœur' that I discovered a few days ago. Firstly, Michel Legrand's career is eclectic, and so is this box set. As a lover of jazz and French songs, I'm pleased, but as a film music enthusiast, slightly less so.

In fact, very few albums aside from the singing and jazz ones are presented in their entirety. In a way, it's quite representative of Michel Legrand's career, but considering it's released under a collection called 'Listen to the Cinema,' I would have anticipated a more focused approach on film music. Nonetheless, we can at least relish in the iconic original soundtrack of 'The Thomas Crown Affair,' but that's about it.

The 5th CD featuring songs from movies stands out as a highlight of this box set, "Le cinéma en chanté," which plays on words in French that can be translated as either "Enchanted Cinema" or "Sung Cinema." However, this box set isn't precisely tailored for devoted film music enthusiasts.

https://www.discogs.com/release/13142775-Michel-Legrand-Les-Moulins-De-Son-Coeur

Just now, Naïve Old Fart said:

THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR is rather hamstrung by a good, yet possibly over famous, song that overshadows the rest of the score, which is a pity, as it's a really good score. 

I'm not a fan of the vocal rendition of the theme on the OST. Who is this Noel Harrison? This song has been performed by numerous talented singers, both women and men, over the years, and his version is the least effective!

Here's the version sung by Michel Legrand himself, which is very good. He was a great signer (of his own material, indeed).

11 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Noel Harrison is the son of Rex Harrison.

I shit you, not.

I'm really advanced, thanks!

Here is another exampe of the singing abilities of Michel Legrand. I always loved his voice.

"Une Femme Est Une Femme" (1961), a Jean-Luc Godard classic, playfully unravels love and identity in Paris. Anna Karina's Angela grapples with romance alongside boyfriend Emile and confidante Alfred. Godard's innovative storytelling and vibrant visuals guide the viewer through witty dialogues and self-aware references. Michel Legrand's evocative score complements the narrative, infusing emotion into the characters' journeys. A quintessential French New Wave creation, the film remains a charming exploration of relationships, underscored by Legrand's timeless melodies.

Released in 1973 and helmed by Clint Eastwood, "Breezy" artfully follows the unique relationship between a spirited young woman and a reserved older man. Michel Legrand's evocative musical score enriches the film's emotional depth. This poignant narrative delves into themes of love, liberation, and human connection, resulting in an engaging cinematic experience.

"Les mariés de l'an II" (1970) is a delightful French romantic comedy set against the backdrop of post-revolutionary France. Directed by Jean-Paul Rappeneau, the film follows the adventures of a soldier (Jean-Paul Belmondo) who embarks on a journey to find his beloved (Marlène Jobert) two years after their separation due to the French Revolution. The film captures the spirit of the era while exploring love's resilience. Accompanying the enchanting visuals, Michel Legrand's score adds a captivating layer of emotion, weaving a melodic tapestry that heightens the romance and nostalgia, making it an integral part of this cinematic gem.

• 2 weeks later...

"Legrand Jazz" is a captivating audiophile album released in 1958, showcasing the genius of French composer and arranger Michel Legrand. This album is a harmonious fusion of jazz luminaries like Miles Davis, John Coltrane, and Bill Evans interpreting Legrand's arrangements.

The album's rich textures and innovative arrangements create a seamless blend of traditional jazz with a touch of cinematic allure. With each track, listeners embark on a musical journey that exemplifies Legrand's prowess in creating intricate melodies and harmonies.

"Legrand Jazz" remains a timeless treasure that captures the essence of both jazz and Legrand's creative brilliance, making it a must-listen for audiophiles and music enthusiasts alike.

image.png

• 1 month later...

The score from "Oum le dauphin" by Michel Legrand is an enchanting musical journey that beautifully captures the essence of the beloved French television series. With its evocative melodies and playful orchestrations, Legrand's composition intricately weaves a tapestry of aquatic wonder and adventure, effortlessly transporting listeners to the mystical world of the white dolphin, Oum. Through its enchanting blend of whimsical tunes and emotive arrangements, the score not only complements the narrative's heartfelt essence but also serves as a testament to Legrand's unparalleled ability to evoke a sense of magical escapism through his timeless musical craftsmanship.