Rodgers & Hammerstein's THE SOUND OF MUSIC (1965) - 2023 Deluxe Edition remixed and remastered by Mike Matessino

Jay

The instrumentals are it for me.

I've always loved instrumental versions of songs, because you can really here all the details that the composers put into the music that otherwise would go unnoticed due to the vocals.

But the whole deluxe version is a joy to me!

I only watched the movie for the first time last year, so I don’t have a lot of connection to the pieces that were missing previously.  I had bought the OST digitally and enjoyed it at the time, but I’m very glad to have a package that includes both the whole shebang including song reprises to tell the full story and the cast album to sit down and just have a representation of the iconic bits.

At the moment it’s on my shelf with Hook, Heidi, and Jane Eyre to be played ASAP.  I’m not going to be able to avoid listening to these working, but I can at least avoid the interruption of my kid once she’s back to school during the day!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I actually just managed to give this a listen. It has been a busy couple of months and this kind of set takes some commitment. Plus, I wanted to watch the film first (which was quite charming actually). I also read the very extensive and detailed liner notes, which cover just about everything you might want to know about the adaptation, filming and scoring process. It's very exhaustive. And the set design is just gorgeous. The presentation itself is absolutely exquisite as well, both in terms of presentation and sound. It is also cool you can create an almost exclusively instrumental version of the score if you wish to do so. It's the kind of fuzzy and warm experience that feels like a warm blanket in those miserable winter months.

Karol