20 years ago: remembering the best scores from 2004

It was also a pretty decent year for games and game scores:

Gamecube:

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles

Zelda: Four Swords Adventures

Mario Party 6

The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age (Not great, but I have a soft spot for it)

Gameboy Advance:

Metroid: Zero Mission

Zelda: The Minish Cap

Pokemon FireRed

Donkey Kong Country 2 GBA remake

Great idea for a thread, Edmilson!

In 2004, I was finishing up my thesis at the university (delivered in November that year, if memory serves). About film music, incidentally. Good times, I was in shape, physically, and being very.....uhm....socially active. 2004-2007 is the peak period of my life. I turned 27 that year.

My favourite score of the whole year is -- obviously -- HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN, in many ways the last score in Williams' "old style". But immediate runner-ups are CRASH (Isham) and PASSION OF THE CHRIST (Debney).

But you mention many other gems in your list that I can only echo.

HIDALGO was a surprisingly action heavy score; I had expected something more broad and slow, like Barry.

THE VILLAGE was the last great score of JNH until the similar-sounding A HIDDEN LIFE many years later.

GIRL WITH A PEARL EARRING is one of the few Desplat scores I like. And I mean REALLY like.

THE POLAR EXPRESS was Silvestri at what I consider the tailend of his most fruitful period. 

KING ARTHUR was likewise a delightful Zimmer score that was at the tailend of the power anthem style.

THE TERMINAL is a sweet and airy Williams score.

ALEXANDER is Vangelis' last masterpiece, a film that is quite underrated (especially in its latest cut). Stupendously gorgeous.

Beyond the ones you mention, shout-outs to METROPOLIS (Korzeniowski), ICEHOTEL (Williams), HECTOR (Illarramendi), A VERY LONG ENGAGEMENT (Badalamenti), LA TERRE VU DU CIEL (Amar), SOMETHING THE LORD MADE (Young), THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW (Kloser), BOBBY JONES: STROKE OF GENIUS and THE FORGOTTEN (Horner), COLLATERAL (Howard), EARTHSEA (Rona), BROTHERS (Söderqvist), FORBIDDEN WARRIOR (Verta), NOUVELLE FRANCE (Doyle), LA RIVINCITA DI NATALE (Ortolani) and AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS (Jones). 

Sorry for the long post.

Well I guess like many here my favourite score of that year is Prisoner of Azkaban which is one of Williams most perfect score bringing so many new flavours to the HP universe while building up the old themes in a very clever way.

A not so close second but also absolutely brillant score is Williams' The Terminal, with it's delightfull and light Navorsky's theme

Horner delivered a couple of very good score, my favourite being Bobby Jones: Stroke of Genius, but his Troy was quite fantastic too and The Forgotten a nice little addition to the year.

King Arthur was quite a great score in the continuity of his powerfull peplum anthem

Powell wrote three scores that year: Supremacy a strong and fun action score, that I find even better than Identity, Alfie and Mr. 3000 two fun comedy score, not his best effort but really pleasent ones. This two last never got a proper release so Mr. Powell if you read this, I would love a release for both of them ;)

Van Helsing despite an OST presentation that I didn't really like and a poor movie, Silvestri gave a nice fantasy score

Two other great action scores are Rabin effort on National Treasure which is hell of a fun ride and Beltrami I, Robot

Finally the last great action score of 2004 was Elfman & Young Spider-Man 2 a terrific sequel score (not up to the first one but quite close though)

Despite not being back with Emmerich on The Day After Tomorrow, Arnold wrote a really fun score for The Stepford Wives

JNH delivered a lovely violin driven score for The Village with perhaps one of his best theme

2004 had also two terrific animated score Giacchino's The Incredibles and Gregson-Williams Shrek 2

Also this list reminds me that there is a tons of them for which I would love an expansion to happen (plus a little Troy reissue with Yared's score as a third disc)

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Vangelis wrote an epic score for Alexander that is controversial to this day.

Why is it controversial?

2 hours ago, Thor said:

THE VILLAGE was the last great score of JNH until the similar-sounding A HIDDEN LIFE many years later.

Nah.

8 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Arnold wrote a really fun score for The Stepford Wives

That’s the best Danny Elfman score that Elfman didn’t write. The main theme is pure Elfman, really good.

There was also Steamboy (my favourite Jablonsky, and a great movie too), Howl's Moving Castle (Miyazaki + Hisaishi, what more need be said), and the first season of Battlestar Galactica which put Bear McCreary on the map.

5 hours ago, Thor said:

BOBBY JONES: STROKE OF GENIUS and THE FORGOTTEN (Horner)

I considered adding Bobby Jones to the main list, but I'm not really a fan of that score. It isn't awful by any means (I am unable to completely dislike a 90s/2000s James Horner score), but the Braveheart quotes on this score were even more annoying than in Bicentennial Man (and those quotes were already the weakest part of BM, a score I otherwise love dearly).

I read on James Horner Film Music that the For the Love of a Princess quotes on Bobby Jones were a request by the director though.

And I keep confusing The Forgotten with The Missing! Lol. I guess this is why I haven't heard The Forgotten yet. Judging by the movie's synopsis, it is a suspense psychological thriller, so I imagine it's a darker, perhaps more synth based score?

2 hours ago, JTW said:

Why is it controversial?

I read somewhere (I think it was here on another thread) that it has as many fans as it has haters. It's not controversial due to any problems like the ones Troy faced, more due to the mixed reception amongst film music fans.

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

And I keep confusing The Forgotten with The Missing! Lol. I guess this is why I haven't heard The Forgotten yet. Judging by the movie's synopsis, it is a suspense psychological thriller, so I imagine it's a darker, perhaps more synth based score?

The Forgotten is almost all synth, piano and solo violin. It's a little bland and lacking in memorable thematic material. The Life Before Her Eyes from 2008 is similar but better.