Return Of The King SCORE Discussion

Have it at my dads.  He converted his garage into a movie theater.  I'll post a photo sometime.

Curtains closed...

curtains_closed.jpg

Curtains opening...

curtains_opening.jpg

Looking up at the projector...

ground_view.jpg

And now our feature presentation...

tmp.jpg

Projection booth point of view...

projector_pov.jpg

Neil

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'll have to pm you about the scores.  i don't feel like convincing you in public.

Keep in mind that I do have them (thanks Steef!), but I've never felt any desire to listen to them.

Neil

We don't have single car garages here. Do you know approximatly (misspelled, I know) in feet or meters how much it is?

Not off hand, no. It seats 12, if that's any help. :mrgreen:

Neil

I agree, without ripping of Williams in any way, it did kinda resemble music Williams has written for dark shadowy places with creepy monsters in it.

Also, part of the first minute sounds a lot like something out of Goldsmith's TMP score.

Anyway continuing that post I made before. I can see Jackson putting Evles at Helm's Deep it provides a nice sentimental touch .....

but WHY NO MENTION of Elrond's human blood?

I mean here you have a guy calling men "weak" and he is like damn near half human himself.

I mean here you have a guy calling men "weak" and he is like damn near half human himself.

Yeah, but considering he had to witness what the descendants of his brother did, it's understandable.

Marian - who always thought that was a nice touch. :)

Well ren, are you implying Jackson's work is better than Tolkien's?

That touches heresy, one will say... :evil:

I think that the half-elven thing is explained with the character. He and her daughter (who has 14 human) are the only elves with dark hair (though many of them have strange dark brows ;) ), plus they did not tried to erase his beard shadow...

Has anyone else noticed that every single person in LOTR has long hair? The shortest are the hobbits and it's still long.

Odd. 8O

Justin

they didn't have barbers then. . .

and no i'm not implying that jackson is better. i'm saying that what he added enhanced the theatrical production.

Stuff that works well in the books might not work well in film which Peter knew and translated well into the movies along with a bit of his own style put into it, ex-Numerous slicings of heads and gore

I agree, without ripping of Williams in any way, it did kinda resemble music Williams has written for dark shadowy places with creepy monsters in it.

Also, part of the first minute sounds a lot like something out of Goldsmith's TMP score.

If we're talking about the same track here, I guess the first few opening bars of that cue are resemblant of "Klingon's Theme". Very much, they're nearly identical, but I don't mind. But I think of Star Trek each time I listen to it. Strange... 8O

I hate to add this but climax of the score has chorus very much similar to Ó Fortuna's, both melodically and rhythmically (More than anything we've discussed here thus far (DotF, Omen,...)) That's disappointing. Shore could have and actually have done better than that in both TTT and FotR.

But, what is it that reminds you of JW's music? Still haven't noticed any similarity, though many have pointed to that before as well..... :roll:

I noticed the music similar to the Klingon motif in the score. It was on the track Ash and Smoke. My friend, an ardent Star Trek fan, had noticed it instantly and pointed it out to me(I had thought that music sounded familiar).

I think Shore handled the Destruction of the Ring in the movie fantastically. The Piece on the album is an edit that tries to piece together a cohesive musical presentation of the scenes. I think that it wasn't satifactory as I heard the real majesty and power of the full cues in the movie. I personally don,t like the pounding timpani beneath the choir in the beginning of the End of All Things that much(it makes it somewhat Orff like)but the rest of the track is awesome.The movie version is simply amazing as the Barad Dur collapses the choir reaches a peak and just as you think it could not get any more higher or majestic it builds into a bigger statement of the Fullfilment of the Quest motif as Black Gates tumble and comes to a climax with cymbal crash when Mt. Doom erupts (First time I saw/heard it in theatre I thought "Now that's beautiful movie scoring").

Incanus - who waiting anxiously for the complete release of the LOTR scores next winter.

Incanus - who waiting anxiously for the complete release of the LOTR scores next winter.

Is anyone at all planning on buying the LOTR symphony? I'm myself eager to hear it and have higher expectations for it than I've ever had for the scores. Hope the result won't be much costly upon me...

8O

I'd much much rather see Star Wars symphony come out, but once JW will have finished up the episode III, it may be practicable... hopes do never die

I just hope the symphony won't be a rehash of the cues on the soundtrack albums, since there is no point buying the same cues with different chronological order and some small differences in the cues themselves. I plan to buy it if it is not a rehash and I'm hoping for something special and new (maybe different orchestrations or unreleased music). It's simply amazing to hear Shore write music like this considering his past scoring forte of thrillers and Cronenberg films. This has been the most pleasant surprise of the film scoring frontier for years.

Though I love the Star Wars and would like to see the complete Prequel trilogy scores in the near future.As you said hope never dies. :)

Incanus - who has been waiting for the complete releases of Prequel scores since the year 1999.

I just hope the symphony won't be a rehash of the cues on the soundtrack albums, since there is no point buying the same cues with different chronological order and some small differences in the cues themselves. I plan to buy it if it is not a rehash and I'm hoping for something special and new (maybe different orchestrations or unreleased music).

Incanus - who has been waiting for the complete releases of Prequel scores since the year 1999.

I read that the symphony is designed to consist of six movements, 2 for each installment of the trilogy. Each movement could run for about 20 minutes presuming the whole symphony runs approx. 120 minutes, thus giving Shore roughly 40 minutes of time to "devote" to each installment.

The symphonic structure of movements and thematic processing itself is a solid undertaking for the whole work to sound unlike anything you've spent your money on before. I'd even go so far as to say that it will be a stand-alone pillar strong enough to live individual life separately from the movies, giving the whole trilogy more variety than all expanded editions altogether, simply something that will proffer Shore a chance to appeal unto different kind of listeners.

I can only hope Shore hasn't bit too much to chew.

And when I talked about Star Wars symphony, I didn't want to think separating prequels from sequels. I kind of vision a symphony comprised of all themes and motifs that have been composed since 1977 until what will have been finished in a year from now... you know, I'm kinda demanding... :) 8O

Roman.-)

Cirdan the Shipwright was never at Helm's Deep.

Also, should Elves even have beards, I know Tolkien wrote about Cirdan's beard but that's the only mention I've noticed on an Elf having one.

Maybe he was a 'bastard' and no one noticed....

Legolas should have dark hair? now that is insteresting...

Also, should Elves even have beards, I know Tolkien wrote about Cirdan's beard but that's the only mention I've noticed on an Elf having one.

Which is why it does annoy me a bit...Tolkien singles him out as the only Elf with a beard, yet he doesn't have one in the movies.

Regarding Legolas: Tolkien never mentions his hair colour, but blonde hair is extremely rare among his kind. I think the Noldor were the only branch of Elves to commonly have blonde hair, all the others were typically black.

Marian - who will re-read The Silmarillion when he's finished The Stand.

Elves of Sindarin birth had lighter shades of hair than Noldor not the other way around. So Legolas quite easily could have had blonde hair since his father Thranduil had golden hair. The Noldor had in rare cases blonde hair (only one family line is said to have golden or blonde hair and Galadriel belonged to that.)This is in any a case splitting hairs kind of topic :) . The fact that Cirdan has a beard and it is never explained why which is odd though.

oh please, this again?

Marian - i loved the stand. the book was amazing!

I don't think the End of All things timpani sounds like Orff, and if it did how could that be bad? I mean that's like . . . . .the redefining point in choral/orchestral literature.

Ren, if you're referring to my point, than we're talking about different things here. I don't think there's anything strikingly resemblant of Orff in End of All Things. I meant the chorus that opens one of the last four score cues on the album (can't tell you which now), where there's it is like at 0:30 - 1:10 into one of these tracks where the chorus part is very similar to O Fortuna, incl. timing, phrasing and even perhaps the key--but I'm not sure about technical terms here.

And whoever was concerned, I don't have any problem with any resemblance in most scores out there.

Roman.-)

As I said the timpani is little Orffian but I don't usually even like these comparisons since every friggin

chanted choral piece is claimed to be "the second cousin to Carl Orffs O Fortuna" and every rising falling motif or theme is calimed to be Hermannesque as these people have most notably used these devices in music. Though these are indicative of the nature of the piece it gets little boring after the upmhteenth review to point this out. :D

Yes and the choir is phrased much like O Fortuna, Imperiatrix Mundi but I didn't notice it untill you pointed it out. And for the classical music references and similarities in scores is not too destracting for me either.

By the way it's funny how the people in Antiquity thought imitating of a great author was not the sacreledge it is nowadays but an honor to the author and testimony of his great talent. Now it's a sign of unoriginality and just plain thieving or lack of talent:)

One detail that has caught my ear on the LOTR scores is the operatic use of the choir and soloists(I mean the opera style). I realized just a while ago that every choir piece in the entire trilogy has lyrics (that usually relate to the scene they are in) and it is a wonderful way to add subcontext to the movie. It is much like an opera in three acts as Shore described it early on. Soloists add something akin to characters in an opera to the films representing Nature, Elven characters and even Gollum at times. This utilization of choir in a meaningful way is good idea instead letting them create just wordless athmospere and at the same time it honors Tolkien's languages.

The problem is that the music industry has become so commercial these days, "modelling" is often just cheap copying. I'm all for original modelling.

And yes, Justin. Even/especially The Omen is always compared to Carmina, and I don't see it having ANYTHING in common with that.

Marian - who likes both, and also likes pre-Orff choral music, even though most people seem to think Orff invented the chorus. :D

Maybe he was a 'bastard' and no one noticed....

Dude, the preferred nomenclature is Half-Elven, please.

Lets not forget Dude that keeping wildlife, um... an amphibious rodent, for... um, ya know domestic... within the city... that ain't legal either.

All I have to say is that this 'lord of the rings "phenom"' is helping my male choral numbers. . .

Ren, who's guys group has tentatively decided on "Second Breakfast Glee Club" . ..LOL

I noticed the music similar to the Klingon motif in the score. It was on the track Ash and Smoke.  My friend, an ardent Star Trek fan, had noticed it instantly and pointed it out to me(I had thought that music sounded familiar).

At last someone convinces me to check out this score, or at least one track of it. I heard the Klingon theme in that track. Pretty blatant. In the future, if I want to hear "The Klingon Battle" I'll just listen to my TMP CD. :)

Neil