Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

JoeinAR

It's like James Bond. He's British, and I can't imagine him being played by a Scotsman, a Welshman, an Irishman and certainly not an Australian!  

What's your point? I never said non-Brits wouldn't be able to play the characters. Rowling just wants authenticity, and I think that's pretty cool.

Ray Barnsbury

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I think only three of those ones worked; Scotsman, Englishman and Irishman.

Please don't judge Australia on George Lazenby. *Horrible memories of that LotR concert thread where we talked about Australian Icons...*

FYI, I love all 4 of those Bond actors. I was just making a joke, that's all.

Neil

You're not a Timothy Dalton fan?

I didn't realize he removed Welshman and replaced it with Englishman.

Yes, I like Dalton. He's the closest to the books. I'm not a Moore fan.

Neil

Only Moore movie I really liked was The Man With the Golden Gun. Though I must say it's been a while since I've seen any of his movies.

I didn't like Live and Let Die at all (though I love Yaphet Koto), but otherwise- I guess you're right. they're mildly entertaining, but not much more. I just a few weeks ago saw the best Bond films, From Russia With Love and Goldfinger, they realy reassured me of how great Bond is, since oyu can sometimes forget amidst the crapier efforts. FRWL is my current favorite, I just love all the classic elements- Red Grant, Rosa Klebb, Smirch, S.P.E.C.T.R.E, Blofeld and his cat, the great locations, my favorite gadgets, and the fantastic music, which always felt like a breath of fresh air.

Only Moore movie I really liked was The Man With the Golden Gun.

I think Joe may be onto something. :sigh:

Neil - who thinks TMWTGG is the worst Bond film

The last great Bond film was The Spy Who Loved Me, starring Roger Moore. Great Song, great stunts, great gadgets, great effects, great characters, and great story

it was on TV here yesterday.It didn't have a Barry score,and this really hurts the movie.The music has a disco-ish late 70's pop sound.

K.M.

Me too, and we've all speculated how pretty Hermione/Emma Watson will get.

WB UK & Ireland will be releasing Harry Potter & Prisoner of Azkaban from Bank Holiday Monday May 31st. We are looking at the possibility of doing midnight shows on the Sun evening before hand, but TBC by Warners.

For further details and show times visit www.warnervillage.co.uk

-Tim.

I want Christopher Lee in a Harry Potter movie. Couldn't he do a good Voldemort, e.g. after he has risen again?

Yes, that could work. I like Lee as a villain, so when rumours of him as Dumbledore surfaced I had to laugh.

On a similar topic, I'd really like to see the French and Saunders parody of Harry Potter, as well as their version of Lord of the Rings.

And for the record, TMWTGG was my least favourite Bond film. Ironically it had one of my favourite actors (Lee) too.

I dont think Lee should play Voldemort. Mainly because he just isn't the Voldemort type, but also because he already plays big vilain roles in lotr and star wars.

Audax - who likes Tomorrow Never Dies more than any other Bond movie

JoeinAr, you should know full well that the last GREAT Bond film was The World Is Not Enough.

The Spy Who Loved Me was the best Moore film though.

Agreed about the last great Bond film, but I always thought For Your Eyes Only was Moore's best. Not too jokey and a real spy film.

Neil

I want Christopher Lee in a Harry Potter movie. Couldn't he do a good Voldemort, e.g. after he has risen again?

are you crazy? Lee is much too old to play Voldemort, who is a 50's kind of guy.

JoeinAr, you should know full well that the last GREAT Bond film was The World Is Not Enough

I saw the World is Not Enough, and it was a horrible piece of crap.

the terrible acting, the way over the top action sequences, and as visually appealing as Denise Richards is, she is totally unbelievable. The villian was as weak as I can remember in a bond film. From what I can remember of the movie, I didn't like the score much (though I admit I cannot even remember it).

the only thing I remember liking was Dench, and she wasn't given enought to do.

the saw sequence was too much. And Robbie Coltrane, well he's much better as Hagrid.

YUK. I give it 1-1/2 *'s.

excuse me for being a sexist, but Renard was the main heavy, and Elektra King's character got what she deserved, but Renard I could never figure out. There was nothing likable about him, there was nothing really dispicable about him, he was ehhh. And ehhh isn't a good characteristic of a Bond Villian.

excuse me for being a sexist, but Renard was the main heavy,

Elekta King pretty much fitts all the characteristics of the typical Bond villian (Goldfinger, Blofeld, Drax..etc)

but Renard I could never figure out.

Renard pretty much fits all the characteristics of the villians henchmen, Jaws, Oddjob...etc.

There was nothing likable about him, there was nothing really dispicable about him, he was ehhh.  And ehhh isn't a good characteristic of a Bond Villian.

Because he wasn't the Bond villian.

Elekta King was, and her role was one of the best written and best worked out roles in all the Bond films.

WOW! It's great. And a lot more of Buckbeak too! ;) Hopefully we'll get a high-res version soon.

Renard pretty much fits all the characteristics of the villians henchmen, Jaws, Oddjob...etc.  

wrong, those characters were interesting and threatening, Renard was ehhh. dull boring, waste of my time.

as for the trailer it was excellent, too bad the resolution is horrid.

The Spy Who Loved Me was the best Moore film though.

I haven't seen it in a while, but I don't have fond memories of it. I didn't like the scenes in Egypt, and I hate the character of Jaws.

Agreed about the last great Bond film, but I always thought For Your Eyes Only was Moore's best.  Not too jokey and a real spy film.

I also liked it.

I saw the World is Not Enough, and it was a horrible piece of crap.

I also didn't like the film, for the reason you mentioned. And generaly, it was just not interesting.

Elektra King was, and her role was one of the best written and best worked out roles in all the Bond films.

What on earth makes you say that? I think the dialogue was better, but the character and her reasonings were as stupid as any.

I think Tomorrow Never Dies is by far the best of the newer Bonds. The Bond movies are always only as good as their villains, and TND has a fantastic one.

And as for Voldermort- I don't think Lee should do it at all. First, he's played way too many villains to be believable as yet another one. In HP, I think he would just remind me of The Last Unicorn. Second, he's way too old. Third, I don't think that a lot of his villains are very convincing.

Stewart would be good, but I still think he should've been Dumbledore. As much as I like Gambon, I just don't think he is Dumbledore. Not enough humanity and decency comes out in his voice.

A new trailer is available for download on The Leaky Cauldron.

In English with French subtitles, it features new footage and new music.

wrong, those characters were interesting and threatening, Renard was ehhh.  dull boring, waste of my time.

I agree. The character got shot in the head and that makes him invincible. Plus every other thing he says is "You can't kill me. I'm already dead." Dull and unbelievable.

Now a man with metal teeth or a killer hat, that's believable dang it! ;)

Justin -Who thinks the last great Bond film was Goldeneye, and TWINE is the worst Brosnan Bond.

Wow! thanx for the heads up!

Though it's very dark, it looks nothing short of amazing. Looks like an absolutely phenominal movie. TONS of new footage, a lot of new music, one of them seemingly a variation on one of the themes heard in the other trailers.

Though the music from about 1:17 to 1:37 sounds good to me, it doesn't sound like Williams, and sounds synth to me (though it could just be like the other trailers, where the conclusion seemed to be that ti was just sped up).

My anticipation for this movie just went MUCH higher.

Seeing it another 4 times, the music really sounds great. But it seems, though only from this short clip, to correspond with the track titles that were posted, that it is rather less thematic than the first two scores.

And because it is pretty dark, I have a question about the line 'Dementors force us to relive out very worst memories'. I believe Lupin said it, but it looks like Oldman, and sounds a lot like Spall. It doesn't really sound like Thewlis to me.

Stewart would be good, but I still think he should've been Dumbledore.

THANK YOU! I've said this before too, Stewart could've been a great Dumbledore and given the character the warmth, gentleness, and twinkle he should have. Still, I like what I've seen/heard of Gambon so far, so I'm optimistic.

Ray Barnsbury

Holy sh!t, I just saw the new trailer. I certainly hope a better quality version comes out soon, there's a lot to see in this one!

Ray Barnsbury

I'm going to stop watching theese trailers, I don't want anything ruined.

You have great willpower.

Ray Barnsbury-who doesn't

Can I recommend not reading the books then, since they are also spoiler filled? ;)

Neil

No, the movies keep nothing from the books. They are totaly and %100 fabrications. Rowling will be rolling in her grave.

The talking heads prove this beyond all doubt.

That new trailer has a bunch of new music in it,but i can't hear it very well.Seems like a lot of chorus stuff though,and that heroic theme from the second teaser is back too,actually there's a slower variation of it at the 0.50 mark,this might actually be one of the new themes,from the looks of it possibly for the Dementors.

This looks lile a seriously good film too.

K.M.Who can't hear it well enough to comment more on it.

Good observation about that heroic motif, I hadn't noticed the slower version of it. Maybe it's for the dementors, or maybe even Sirius, as it does turn heroic. I'll have to listen to the trailer without the visuals.

Ray Barnsbury

God, how I wish I had a computer that allowed me to watch all these trailers.

Romão, who hasn't been able to watch any POA trailer.

Can I recommend not reading the books then, since they are also spoiler filled? ;)

Neil

Of course by that I meant film-specific, scene-specific spoilers. :)

You know, I think this trailer music may very well be all from the newly composed score. At 1:05 and 1:24 or so there's some especially great tense music, much with chorus. And that heroic theme played ominously at 0:53 . . . this is awesome, I'm getting really excited!

Ray Barnsbury

God, how I wish I had a computer that allowed me to watch all these trailers.  

Romão, who hasn't been able to watch any POA trailer

well lets just say, that you will probably have a great time them. Part of me wishes I was a POA virgin.

Hem hem!

Can we keep this thread limited to the discussion of Prisoner of Azkaban.  It's main focus is the countdown to the release of the new movie.  If you want to discuss Goblet of Fire, go here.

Neil

;)