Rating John's Blockbusters, both film & score

JoeinAR

5th element looked terrible- I'm just saying that the idea for the city and the chase are taken from there. And as I said, Ed Wood does look fakest of them all, but there's a certain charm in that someone is too blinded by making movies to see how bad his movie looks. He had a passion and a certain style to make up for his lack of talent. Lucas doesn't seem to have passion, style or talent.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucas doesn't seem to have passion, style or talent.

If you look at the "behind the scenes" documentaries you'll see indeed a very passionless man. What is worse is that everybody from ILM treats him like a god. Nobody is defending his or her ideas. George enters a room and all he needs to say is: "That's great but could you make Yoda jump like a mad rabbit when he's duelling Dooku?" And they instantly agree as if a mad jumping Yoda is the most natural thing there is. Looks like the work of a dictator to me. Maybe that's what's wrong with his movies. He surrounds himself with butt licking personnel. It really shows.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Lucas doesn't seem to have passion, style or talent.

If you look at the "behind the scenes" documentaries you'll see indeed a very passionless man. What is worse is that everybody from ILM treats him like a god. Nobody is defending his or her ideas. George enters a room and all he needs to say is: "That's great but could you make Yoda jump like a mad rabbit when he's duelling Dooku?" And they instantly agree as if a mad jumping Yoda is the most natural thing there is. Looks like the work of a dictator to me. Maybe that's what's wrong with his movies. He surrounds himself with butt licking personnel. It really shows.

:) I agree 100% with that statement. I want to hurl objects at my screen when they are picking out Dexter Jettster heads in the "From Puppets to Pixels" doc. It looks like an ILM circle jerk as everyone is all crowded around to see what head Lucas picks for a character that has maybe 5 minutes screen time.

I was recently sent a making of Episode III web doc, and the same "I need to throw something" feeling came through as Lucas was busy watching Hayden's hair getting cut and making suggestions and generally just micro managing everything.

If he made good movies, maybe I'd feel differently.

Neil

I did not like the From Puppets to Pixels documentary. While The Beginning is undoubtedly one of the best making-of documentaries ever to be made especially for a DVD release, this second documentary was just another 60-minute commercial for George Lucas and ILM. If I understand it correctly, the guys at ILM made unrequested tests for a completely digital Yoda and showed it to Lucas, who finally gave the go ahead on making Yoda completely CGI for the entire film. To me, this just seems very similar to the behaviour of five-year olds. "Daddy, daddy, look what I can do! Daddy, are you watching? Daddy!" Argh.

- Marc

Would you say no to Lucas?

The man is like the Stalin of cinema (on a personality level, not a literal level). Anyone who dares question the guy's judgement is immediately marked for retribution and elimination.

He even resembles Stalin lately for crying out loud.

Sure I realize its a comparison which sounds ludicrous but IMO its not that inconceivable. I mean can any of you folks think of another LIVING filmaker who keeps such a stranglehold on his productions and keep himself so occluded from the potentially helpful advice of others?

I certainly can't.

Not to mention if the people Lucas works with were chosen by him (or his totally incompetent "YES MAN" side kick Dick McCallum) I doubt they would have any favorable suggestions to offer regardless.

George is a long line of people that never hear the word no.

So here we go

George, NO

Michael, NO

Elvis, NO

Tom, NO

Britney, NO

Christina, your a skank, I mean NO

So here we go

George, NO

Michael, NO

Elvis, NO

Tom, NO

Britney, NO

By Mike I assume you mean Jackson? Well in all fairness hes never heard no but hes never said it either. At least not when his plastic surgeon asks him if he has had "Enough already?". :wave:

As for Tom which I assume is Tom Cruise. He too should've learned to say "No". Especially to The Church of Scientology.

As for Britney and Chirstina ..... NO FRIGGIN WAY DUDE! Its those two who have never said no. Those two are both TOTAL WHORES to the "Record Companies" and would never consider anyh request (which really means order from those guys) to be "too low" for them. :spiny:

So here we go

George, NO

Michael, NO

Elvis, NO

Tom, NO

Britney, NO

+

Paul, NO

Not sure, but can anybody say NO to Steven?

Who wrote the screenplay for AOTC? Who is he? He's an obedient marionette.

George declares Willard Huyck (screenwriter of TOD) to be the director of Howard The Duck. Why? He's a mere marionette. He will not offer much resistance. Good.

The Skywalker Ranch is a prison and George is the chief warden.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I imagine they dont outright say "No", but I assume they make suggestions for how certain elements of a fim can be improved and I believe Spielberg is probably modest enough to at the very least hear them out and consider their advice.

Who wrote the screenplay for AOTC? Who is he? He's an obedient marionette.

The screenplay was written by George Lucas himself along with Jonathan Hales who was called in to help enhance some story elements and augment the dialogue.

As is plainly obvious he clearly failed to accomplish any great deal in either regard.

Hales is probably best known for his work on failed "Young Indiana Jones" series, which of course bombed because it had little to do with creating the atmosphere of the actual films.

Hardly a noteworthy writing accomplishment.

I imagine they dont outright say "No", but I assume they make suggestions for how certain elements of a fim can be improved and I believe Spielberg is probably modest enough to at the very least hear them out and consider their advice.

I bet nobody says "no" to Steven Spielberg. He's just wise enough to ask others before he gives out orders.

Certainly nobody tells him "cut the last 20 minutes" - at least recently.

I bet nobody says "no" to Steven Spielberg. He's just wise enough to ask others before he gives out orders.

Yeah I imagine he would have the brains to ask people around for for possible suggestions. I mean after all THATS WHAT THESE PEOPLE ARE THERE FOR! :)

They should've told him that with A.I.. :P

1972 THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE FILM -/- SCORE ****1/2

1974 THE TOWERING INFERNO FILM **** SCORE ****1/2

1975 JAWS FILM ***** SCORE *****

1977 STAR WARS FILM ***** SCORE *****

1977 CLOSE ENCOUNTERS FILM ***** SCORE *****

1978 JAWS 2 FILM ** SCORE ***1/2

1978 SUPERMAN FILM **1/2 SCORE ***

1980 ESB FILM ****1/2 SCORE *****

1981 RAIDERS FILM ***** SCORE *****

1982 E.T. FILM ***** SCORE *****

1983 ROTJ FILM ***** SCORE *****

1984 TEMPLE OF DOOM FILM **** SCORE *****

1989 LAST CRUSADE FILM ***** SCORE *****

1990 HOME ALONE FILM **** SCORE *****

1992 HOME ALONE 2 FILM **** SCORE *****

1993 JURASSIC PARK FILM ***** SCORE *****

1997 LOST WORLD FILM ***1/2 SCORE *****

1998 SPR FILM ***** SCORE *****

1999 TPM FILM ***** SCORE *****

2001 HARRY POTTER SS/PS FILM ** SCORE **1/2

2002 AOTC FILM ***** SCORE ****

2002 HARRY POTTER CS FILM ** SCORE ***

He doesn't need to :)

The last FIVETEEN (not 20) minutes from CMIYC were necessary to understand Abagnale's "future", what's his job, and why he still works in the same; the story of Minority Report needed more time to tie up the loose ends; and the final part of AI was conceived by Kubrick, and it's beautiful.

He doesn't need to cut 20 minutes, but I think he could've to tightened the end of CMIYC. And the two shots of Anderton with his pregnant wife and the precogs with those terrible wigs in MR are the only bad things in that amazing movie.

And I think most people agree that the San Francisco section of TLW was unnessecary (But so was the movie).

I like it when he sticks to poetic endings, operatic endings, or montages, as in SPR (poetic) and Amistad (montage).

As for Tom which I assume is Tom Cruise. He too should've learned to say "No". Especially to The Church of Scientology.  

Fine, but as opposed to Christina, Brittany, George and Michael- he actualy makes good things.

Morlock- Who thinks MR is one of Speilberg's very best movies, and is one of the few who really loved Last Samurai.

What the hell does that have to do with anything? On second thought, don't bother explaining it, as I'm you sure you are well aware of this boards "no religious discussion" policy. Really William, what the censored were you thinking? Don't bother answering that, as I don't want this part of the conversation continuing.

:roll:

Neil

Fine, but as opposed to Christina, Brittany, George and Michael- he actualy makes good things.

True but he also makes bad things.

Its always uncertain how this guy's movies will turn out.

-Rogue who enjoyed Last Samurai but doesn't think its anything really special.

If he made good movies, maybe I'd feel differently.

Plus he makes excellent movies.

Greetz!

and the final part of AI was conceived by Kubrick, and it's beautiful.

Wasn't it conceived by Kubrick, but altered by Spielberg - luckily since the original ending was worse?

And, originally, sitting in the theatre, I hated that ending, but I've grown on it, and like it now. If you see it as a cheap way to have the story end happy, you miss the point.

Steven: so Kate, you're telling me NO.

Kate: Yes.

Steven: Well then, I guess I can recast the part of Willie in Indy 4.

Kate: I take it back,

Steven: So now you're saying yes.

Kate: Yes.

Shouldn't Earthquake be in the list as well? I know it was one of the top grossing films for the year it was released although the Cd presentation left off alot of the dramatic underscore.

Earthquake? Me very much like the score. It is so underrated. It is so Seventies. I'm still waiting for the mailman to bring me my copy of the The Eiger Sanction . I can tell that will only take 5 times for me to like this one too.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Mark, I believe that Earthquake wasn't one of the top 5 films that year. But I will double check

as it turns out I was wrong, Earthquake should be there so I will rate it.

Earthquake 1974, film ** score ***

I gotta listen to the theme from Earthquake again. I have not heard it in some time,

Not just the theme! Listen to the whole damn CD!

Isn't the soundtrack mostly pop and jazz music? I am not a big fan of that stuff.

Earthquake wasn't score by John Williams, it was scored by Johnny Williams, despite the name on the cd. Its roots are early Johnny with some 70's cheese thrown in. The main theme is quite good.

Most of the dramatic cues from the film aren't on the cd. Most of the music is jazzy and early 70's much like some of the earlier cues on The Towering Inferno score.

Ughhhh Jazzy and Pop-sounding? I like my John .... Leitmotif style.

What good would that do if the melody happens to be sh*t? :) Lots of the music on a Williams CD is not so Leitmotif. What about all the action cues where there's no Leitmotif? What about many the parts and pieces in CE3K or the Indy soundtracks?

Earthquake has a Leitmotif. It's a jazzy one and it full of reminiscence. It's Williams and it's hard to find these days. If you see it somewhere (second-hand, or whatever), pick it up!

----------------

Alex Cremers

• 4 weeks later...

I resurrected this thread to simply add that lately the blockbuster score I keep going back to

is the Lost World.

I made a CDr of my favorite tracks from JP and LW, and I accidently recorded The Hunt twice on the cd.

Best mistake I could have made.

In a year or two Peter Jackson will remake King Kong, bad idea IMHO, but I hope it turns out well.

I'm sure Howard Shore will do the score, but John's score for LW is the perfect KING KONG score. Its so much better than the film deserved, and just a wonderful listening experience. Chris Chrusher and I often disagree on alot of things, but I can thank him for getting me to re-examine this absolute gem.