Best Williams soundtrack albums(original releases)

King Mark

Which do you think make the best global listening experiences,nice sound,decent playing time,no crappy songs taking space of score cues,aren't too repetitious or have duplicate cues,the tracks are in pleasent listening order,not too many of your favourite cues left out the album...

Mine:

Jaws OST

Star Wars OST

ESB original 2LP or cassette

Attack of the Clones(don't like it THAT much,but examplary in the way a 1 c.d. release should be made)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

Hmm,seems I would have made a lot of OST albums different than they are now

K.M.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Home Alone 2 (the original release was perfect, the varése edition even better)

Jaws (the original album)

E.T. (the extended CD)

Jurassic Park

Hook (any kind of cues)

Minority Report

and

AMISTAD (though Dry your tears, Afrika is repeated, it's necessary in my opinion)

I would also choose "Empire of the Sun", an amazing listening (progressive) experience, but there are 2 or 3 tracks that not everybody will like (Suo Gan, the Pheasant Hunt, British Grenadiers).

Catch Me If You Can (Yeah i know The Float Is repeated many times but i still love it.)

Harry Potter And the Sorcerer's Stone

Hook

Jaws

HPFAN_2 - Can't think of any others (at the moment)

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Episode II: Attack of the Clones

Jaws

I would say Hook, but I find myself skipping over some cues like "Banning Back Home" and "When You're Alone".

SW (wasn't originally abbreviated, but everything else was)

TESB

ROTJ

CE3K

For those, I just like the old mixes. I like "Mouse Robot and Blasting Off" and "The Last Battle" that combined "Tractor Beam/Chasm Crossfire" with the "Battle of Yavin". In TESB, I think I just liked the combo of the unused "Snowspeeder Search" and the second part from Battle of Hoth that was on the Polygram release. I still kind of like Hyperspace being alone, rather than having to fast forward 5 minutes for it on the SE. As for ROTJ, I like the old version of "Return of the Jedi", because I like listening to that track when I'm playing a SW video game and the SE just doesn't cut to the chase quick enough.

On CE3K, I like "I Can't Believe It's Real" that used the first half of "The Mountain" and the last half of "The Returnees".

Just because the SE cuts may jibe with the movie, there's still something to be said for the original mix and JW's preferences that go into it. The music does sound better.

I think I would have to say that the original release of Star Wars is the best original soundtrack of Williams. The only noteworthy pieces of music missing are 'Cantina 2' and 'Standing By'. The rest of the score is very well represented on those 2 LPs and I'm also very fond of some of those cue combinations, particularly "Rescue of the Princess" a very exciting track.

I also like the original version of E.T. the best. I certainly appreciate all versions and I will take every track I can get, but the original still is a good representation of the score and a nice listen from start to finish.

Jurassic Park is also a very thorough release. All standout cues are included.

Jurassic Park is also a very thorough release.  All standout cues are included.

Wow. You must really like the Main Theme and the Island fanfare.

Quite a bit... along with the Opening Titles, The Raptor Attack, The Brachiosaurus, Isla Nublar, Nedry Steals the Embryo, Petticoat Lane, High Wire Stunts, and T-Rex Rescue: all great tracks, not centered on either of the Main Themes. I never said the CD wasn't a bit repetitious... for instance, the very last track is completely unnecessary and the track "Welcome to Jurassic Park" should be the last track on the CD... but I always thought that the CD contained all the good music from the score. Unlike other scores (Hook), I feel no need for there to be an expanded version or bootleg.

Did I misunderstand the meaning of this post? I didn't think we were talking about how much we liked the scores, but rather, best representations of scores on their original OSTs.

Did I misunderstand the meaning of this post?  I didn't think we were talking about how much we liked the scores, but rather, best representations of scores on their original OSTs.

Exactly. Jurassic Park is quite a masterful score, one of John Williams' best especially as far as thematic and action scoring goes.

What we get in the CD is the same track repeated as much as three times at the expense of other equally good underscore.

I know praising Jurrasic Park is quite redundant here, but I must say, every time I listen to Theme fro Jurrasic Park, I am filled with such marvel at the beauty of it.

I know praising Jurrasic Park is quite redundant here, but I must say, every time I listen to Theme fro Jurrasic Park, I am filled with such marvel at the beauty of it.

But does it sound like music for a movie about man-eating dinosaurs the way Jaws sounds like music for a movie about a man-eating shark?

Williams' best "original release" soundtrack album? That's easy...The Fury.

Neil

With JP,the whole score would have fit on one c.d. if they didn't include the repeat tracks.3 great unreleased tracks come to mind,The Amber Mines,Into the Jeeps and T-Rex chase.So that's why I didn't name it despite the score beeing well represented.

The entire film version of E.T. fits on one c.d.They still haven't got it right.

In the case of HPSS,well i would have included some other cues instead of some that are on the c.d.(like Olivander's Wand,The Great Hall,The Sorting Hat,The House Cup ),but part of it was remedied by the CoS c.d.

K.M.

But does it sound like music for a movie about man-eating dinosaurs the way Jaws sounds like music for a movie about a man-eating shark?

I don't quite understand your point, but I've always seen JP as more idealistic. The humans are the bad guys, and the key is the marvel in the introductery scene. That's why it always ticked me off when a lot of people (including Spielberg) always compared this to Jaws. They're both monster movies by definition, but I think each one is unique.