1. 1.

• 1999-2003
    • 1994-1998
    • 1989-1993
    • 1984-1988
    • 1979-1983
    • 1974-1978
    • 1969-1973

In addition to the JW career slump thread...

It is clear that his style have changed through these past few decades, though it has been top quality all the time.

But when was his Golden Era?

It would also be interesting to have a top 3 of these as well.

And the reasons why? One or two specific favorite scores or his overall style?

Mine would be:

1. 1989-1993

2. 1979-1983

3. 1999-2003

S.B.

ps: if you say the 5 years You like best are not in these (the periods I chose are pretty 'mechanic' with the dates), like 1977-1981, please write that in your top 3!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll rephraze- the poll is ill concieved, Dictating which five years we have to pick. It's no fun having to write in your answer in a poll thread.

I don't think the number 5 has any particular importance. 1977-1984 are the greatest ever, and I wouldn't miss any of those years.

This thread is ill concieved.

I agree, but for slightly different reason. John Williams is a human being and as many others, he's also growing older. And while there have been and will artists and craftsmen who get better with accruing years, I'd say no one will ever write like they would when they were in their forties or fifties, whatever that maturation does to their skills.

I see your points, though I don't agree 100% with it.

IMO a composer can have more than one "big period" in his work and those could be liked best by different people.

I was just interested that would a poll like this work.:P

I would say from 74 to 84 are his best years, John did little wrong then.

I know its more than 5 years, but I don't like any of these choices.

Heartbeeps is a good score. I like the theme alot. And IMO The Missouri Breaks is JW's worse score until AoTC, and even that is better. So that's why I couldn't say 75-84. Also Black Sunday, Midway and Family Plot have little more than a great theme IMO.

And IMO The Missouri Breaks is JW's worse score until AoTC, and even that is better.

If someone had come and erased the score to "Sleepers" from John Williams' output list, I wouldn't really mind. :)

Heartbeeps is a good score. I like the theme alot.

"Heartbeeps" (I have it on tape) has grown on me and the score has more to offer than just the main theme, although this one with its "flying" feel to it is irresistible. Shame the tape has been stocking up on bad hiss with time which's beginning to shunt the music to background... :mrgreen:

Hey, The Missouri Breaks is a good score!!!!! So what if it's not orchestral! It's every bit as good as his other "country" scores. And the first track is like Williams doing progressive music. What more do you want? It's clearly John once listened to bands like Pink Floyd in the Seventies. :mrgreen:

----------------

Alex Cremers - not just fan of "Williams and orchestra" but fan of Williams!

Oh, I like Heartbeeps. "Crimebuster's Theme" is really a lot of fun.

You like that... yet not the patriot? weirdo. :mrgreen:

Oh, I like Heartbeeps. "Crimebuster's Theme" is really a lot of fun.

You like that... yet not the patriot? weirdo. :mrgreen:

I like The Patriot....when I can't sleep. Heartbeeps is a fun score, written when Williams was at the peak of his career.

Neil

I love the Crimebuster theme. It's fantastic. I find most of the rest of the score to be rather bland, though.

Justin -Who finds The Crimebuster one of the best tracks Williams has written.

I love the Crimebuster theme. It's fantastic. I find most of the rest of the score to be rather bland, though.

At least it even has one track worthy of being called "fantastic". What does The Patriot have?

Neil

I instantly wanted to pick the years 1980-1984. So I picked 79-83. I'm no huge fan of "Dracula," but "Temple of Doom" is a great achievement. In terms of his most popular scores, many of them came from the 80-84 period ("ESB," "Raiders," "ET," "ROTJ," "TOD").

Second on my list is 1975-79. Can't beat the one-two knockout of "Jaws" and "Star Wars."

Third would be 2000-04. I know, we don't know how "Harry Potter" and "Terminal" will be, but creatively he's done some great things in the 21st century -- "Chamber of Secrets" aside. :mrgreen:

Jeff -- who doesn't think there was ever truly a JW slump of more than one year

At least it even has one track worthy of being called "fantastic". What does The Patriot have?

Neil

"Susan Speaks."

At least it even has one track worthy of being called "fantastic".  What does The Patriot have?

A whole CD of very good music. But that's just me. :devil:

Justin

At least it even has one track worthy of being called "fantastic".  What does The Patriot have?

A whole CD of very good music. But that's just me. :devil:

Indeed.

Neil

2 fantastic tracks! :devil: And the rest is good.

Between Star Wars and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Williams could do no wrong in terms of scoring films.

Neil

I was going to say the same thing, but I'll just copy Neil's post. :)

I love music from all of WIlliams era's, but this streak was unmatched! Everything was DAMN good!

Am I the only one who likes Missouri Breaks? Never saw the movie, but in terms of the Williams westerns scores, it's my fav. I loved the Cowboys movie, but I'm not crazy about the score.

NO, I like it, but I don't have it on cd. I listened to it alot back in the day.

"Heartbeeps" (I have it on tape) has grown on me and the score has more to offer than just the main theme, although this one with its "flying" feel to it is irresistible. Shame the tape has been stocking up on bad hiss with time which's beginning to shunt the music to background... :thumbup:

You know you can buy it on c.d.

K.M.

I really like Heartbeeps, though I'm sorry to say that I HATE the Crimebuster music. It's horribly cheesy. I know you can argue that the whole score is cheesy, but Crimebuster just makes me cringe. Sorry Neil. :roll:

I love the first two tracks, especially track 2, all twinkly and glittering. A sort of "Fortress of Solitude" echo, with rather less power admittedly.

When I read in the CD notes that the Crimebuster theme was up there with The Imperial March (or however it was worded) I nearly fell off my chair. :)