I've seen Troy (short and spoiler free)

Free screener at my school last night. The quick and the dirty:

troy - ***

go if ... you enjoy epic films such as these which feature large battles, Gladiator-esque duels, and a satisfying and mostly faithful treatment of ancient mythology

don't go if ... you are male, heterosexual, and have no desire to see unnamed male stars' unclothed bodies for two and a half hours, or to hear some of the least convincing romantic dialogue since the attack of the clones fireplace scene

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 Stars? Your verdict will go into history as one of the mildest verdicts on Troy ever! You'll see.

----------------

Alex Cremers

3 Stars? Your verdict will go into history as one of the mildest verdicts on Troy ever! You'll see.

----------------

Alex Cremers

By mild you mean mild in how positive it was correct? :sigh:

Why? I'd rate the trailer 3 stars, and it looks solid, fun and good looking, with a great cast.

Did that look good to you? Really? What did you see that I missed? Have we forgotten already about the composer switch? Didn't that push any alarm buttons? Haven't you heard about the bad comments the new soundtrack is getting? This whole Troy concept reeks of...let's cash in on people's hunger for more Gladiator. Don't you smell that ...special odor?

----------------

Alex Cremers

Could very well be, but no matter what you think, it won't stop the industry for pursuing its goals and give the audience what it wants (or what they think the audience wants).

----------------

Alex Cremers

I want a big fun hollow epic with wide shots of thousands of soldiers right now. It's fine by me.

And nothing with Brian Cox, Brendan Gleeson, Julian Glover, Julie Christie and Peter O'Toole could be that bad, they're all worht watching reading the morning paper.

And nothing with Brian Cox, Brendan Gleeson, Julian Glover, Julie Christie and Peter O'Toole could be that bad, they're all worht watching reading the morning paper.

Have you ever seen Supergirl?

Neil

Nope, I guess that explains it. But at least I've yet to see Gleeson, O'Toole or Cox and not liking them.

Time gave it a great review, but that trailer just reeks.

And the music by James Horner is...?

Some of the most unoriginal music ever. He took an entire theme from Enemy at the Gates and used it note for note. It absolutely did nothing for me.

Time Magazine and Troy are released by the same company.

Neil

Yeah, everyone's negative preconceptions confuse me a bit since it looks pretty good to me.

Ray Barnsbury

Better reviews than Van Helsing up to now.

K.M.Who will see Van Helsing tomorrow anyways.

I didn't like Gladiator either, but I'm up for a

big fun hollow epic with wide shots of thousands of soldiers
as Morlock put it. What disk said about the score is too bad though.

Ray Barnsbury

Ray Barnsbury

Keep in mind I don't really like Horner.

Better reviews than Van Helsing up to now.

I just saw a preview for Van Helsing on TV, and there's no way Troy could possibly as bad as this looked.

Marian - who will go see Troy.

go if ... you enjoy epic films such as these which feature large battles, Gladiator-esque duels, and a satisfying and mostly faithful treatment of ancient mythology

Sounds great. :P Gladiator was a big ball of fun. I don't like most cop movies, I don't like spy james bond movies. But I like ancient epics much.

Neil

That didn't stop Entertainment Weekly from bad-mouthing both Harry Potter films.

don't go if ... you are male, heterosexual, and have no desire to see unnamed male stars' unclothed bodies for two and a half hours

damn, i wanted to see it for the nudity of women, but if its got male nudity, not only is that daring, but it tourns me off wanting to see the film.

I'll still see it regardless, i want battles, YAY! And it can't be as bad as Van Helsing, which i saw last night and walked out of the theatre feeling as though my IQ had dropped several points.

Neil

That didn't stop Entertainment Weekly from bad-mouthing both Harry Potter films.

If I recall correctly, the cover for the Chamber of Secrets issue of EW proclaimed it better than the first.

Neil

Van Helsing? Troy? Don't you see? By going to these movies you're responding to the predictions made by producers who only want to "cash in" on cheap ideas, mostly based on someone else's successes. They are the parasites of Hollywood! Stop supporting mediocrity, or to put it more truthfully, say 'no' to downright crap. The future of cinema is in your hands. You, as the audience, have all the power! As long as you keep paying for the tickets they'll keep on producing it. Stop watching and act now while it's not too late! Don't wait for movies like Gladiator VIII, Van Helsing vs. Predator, Troy in New York.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Yeah I mean nobody's seen that before. :roll:

Justin -Who'll just rent ROTK in a few days and watch a big fun incredibly well made epic with wide shots and thousands of soldiers that deals with human drama as well.

RoTK is many things, fun is not one of them. I found the battle at the end rather tiresome. Helm's Deep was far more impressive.

And how many of those have you seen?

Dunno but it seems odd to me that people critisize LOTR for it's battle and then go see Troy.

Justin

I haven't seen Troy yet, but it looks more fun, which is all I'm looking for. I think most fo the things to do with the big battle are the LoTR films at their weakest, save the cinematography. The effects are most noticable, it aleways seems like thousand of CGI specks, the writing isn't particulaly strong ("I am no man"), the stunts are ridicules (Legolas the superhero).

I expect this movie will be good.

I dont think it will be Oscar worthy but I believe it will be an enjoyable film while it lasts.

Seems like you're all falling for it. Now I'm afraid we're going to lose Rogue too. How much more can the monster of mediocracy swallow?

----------------

Alex Cremers

Justin -Who'll just rent ROTK in a few days and watch a big fun incredibly well made epic with wide shots and thousands of soldiers that deals with human drama as well.

I'm sorry, come again, I thought you said ROTK was all those things . . .

:P

Ray Barnsbury

Seems like you're all falling for it. Now I'm afraid we're going to lose Rogue too. How much more can the monster of mediocracy swallow?

----------------

Alex Cremers

Dude dont you think you are being a LITTLE premature on this one.

I mean the movie has:

A) A VERY solid cast

B) Ajn epic story from which to create a good film

C) A competent director at the helm

Like I said I am not expecting friggin Shakespeare here, but I expect it will be an entertaining epic battle film.

I mean considering some of the crap that looks to be coming out this summer this looks like one of the better movies.

Lets at least wait for reviews before we start putting labels on this sucker. 8O

I don't see it that way. I just listen to the commotion that's surrounding this film, and I have all I need to know. I certainly can't agree with point C. Das Boot is the only movie where Wolfgang showed he was truly competent. And Brad Pitt in an historic epic movie is asking for trouble. I will not forget the composer switch on the very last moment. Usually, when they pull a stunt like that there's something essentially wrong with the picture. I can smell a Hollywood, desperately looking for an answer to Gladiator and LOTR. I feel too much large scale commerce thinking with this one and no heart, no heart at all.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Lets at least wait for reviews before we start putting labels on this sucker.  8O

:angry::jump::ola: 8O 8O

Did William/Rogue really say this???

Neil

don't go if ... you are male, heterosexual, and have no desire to see unnamed male stars' unclothed bodies for two and a half hours

'Healthy', heterosexual males - isn't that suposed to be one of the big target audiences for this movie? Too funny. Still, I bet wild horses couldn't keep them away.

CYPHER - who thinks Troy will probably be better than Van Helsing but both will probably be scraping the bottom of the barrel. "Hey look," they both remark, "There's King Arthur! Come on down! We've got big box office receipts and we're gonna party!" LOL

Van Helsing? Troy? Don't you see? By going to these movies you're responding to the predictions made by producers who only want to "cash in" on cheap ideas, mostly based on someone else's successes. They are the parasites of Hollywood! Stop supporting mediocrity, or to put it more truthfully, say 'no' to downright crap. The future of cinema is in your hands. You, as the audience, have all the power! As long as you keep paying for the tickets they'll keep on producing it. Stop watching and act now while it's not too late! Don't wait for movies like Gladiator VIII, Van Helsing vs. Predator, Troy in New York.

Isn't that a wee bit melodramatic? You're starting to sound like someone who's trying to pitch an idea to Roland Emmerich for his next big disaster movie.

Frankly, I'll pay to see whatever I like, regardless of anyone else's opinions. I'm quite capable of making up my own mind, thanks; however, I will only do so after I've actually seen a movie. If an upcoming film happens to spark my interest for one reason or another I will then decide to spend my money to see it. If I believe the movie to be a terrible waste of film afterward, and there have been many such cases, so be it. I know that's the gamble I'm taking every time I purchase a ticket.

Reviews, good or bad, professional or amateur, aren't worth the paper they're written on. I take them all with a grain of salt because I'm not a mindless drone and I have very eclectic tastes. Even worse than any reviews, are the statements like your own due to their complete lack of credibility. I'd be far more tolerant if you'd just said you don't care for the director, cast, trailers, and so on. But, proclaiming a movie to be worthless because of "buzz"? Please, who's being the sheep here?

The fact of the matter is bad movies have been made in droves since movie making began and that truism that isn?t likely to change as long as money is the foremost factor in studios? decision making. You'll just have to continue to sift through the tripe like the rest of use to find something that suits your particular tastes.

True,those types of "cash-in"movies have always existed.Early on there ware bad horror movies and cheapo sci-fi flicks.The majority are not revered classics like Dracula and Frankeinstein,there were a bunch of bad sequels to those too in their days.The 70's and 80's had their share of bad sequels and sci-fi,like all the Jaws,Exorcist and Superman sequels and Star Wars and Alien knock offs like Battle Beyond the Stars and Leviathan.

K.M.

The fact of the matter is bad movies have been made in droves since movie making began and that truism that isn?t likely to change as long as money is the foremost factor in studios? decision making. You'll just have to continue to sift through the tripe like the rest of use to find something that suits your particular tastes.

That's my credibility, IrishCal24! I've been down that road a few times before. And now I know a fakie when I smell one. Do you really think they can lure me into the theatre time after time again with their cash-in BS projects? A ticket is just too expensive for me to actually go and see every new movie in town. Therefore I developed this instinct (an instinct that doesn't run on reviews alone, BTW). It has never let me down yet and it has nothing to do with being a cheep. And right now my sensors tell me that Van Helsing and Troy are to be seriously avoided.

I'm quite capable of making up my own mind, thanks; however, I will only do so after I've actually seen a movie.

Maybe, but who's the mindless one, if you haven't learned from past experiences and you keep returning to the same old, same old?

----------------

Alex Cremers

Nicely said, Cal.

Ray Barnsbury

It's time for you to spend some more money, Ray. The doors are open and they're waiting. Enjoy the show.

Alex, what you and I are forgetting is that many here fall into the key demographic for these films. It's weird in my case. I turned 25 three years ago, and it's about that time that movies started getting really bad. It was as if a switch went off and suddenly I was no longer the target market and I could see all of the nonsense that was pandering to the teenage crowd.

Neil

Lets at least wait for reviews before we start putting labels on this sucker.  ROTFLMAO

ROTFLMAO 8O 8O 8O 8O

Did William/Rogue really say this???

Neil

Hey you know me Neil!

I almostr always judge movies by reviews.

The only time I talk smack about a movie beforehand is if it really looks like crap.