New WILLIAMS POA music on ABC preview!

King Mark

Let the first impressions begin!

I have yet to listen to my taped broadcast of the PoA preview(heard bits of it since i'm watching Survivor.)

Post your thoughts here.

K.M.Dedicating the first official thread to the PoA score

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one that i remember the most is the bit that played when Seamus said "He's been sited" It sounded totaly Williams and it sounded like the begining of a tremendous action cue. Got my blood pumping. :mrgreen:

I'm excited at the bit when we see Harry riding buckbeak!Some very bold theme there,though it's probably not the scene it's supposed to go with.Some creepy ToD style underscore too!

On another note,it seems Williams re-recorded Hedwig's theme only slightly altered.

K.M.

New music I heard:

Commercial break 1:Possibly new orchestration of Hedwig's Theme,followd by a playful woodwind motif(the kind we speculated could score a snowbal fight)

Commercial break2:Bumbling version of SWTWC(in the same vein as Gilderoy Lockheart),probably to underscore the amusing Riddikulus charm teaching scenes.

PoA Preview:

1)SWTWC chorus song version,orchestrated like Diagon Alley

2)Furious version of the Nimbus 2000 theme(seems louder than previous versions)

3)music that resembles that of the Palace Feast scene in ToD(Ah,snake...surprise!).

4)Triumphant new theme underscoring Buckbeak flying(sounds like a waltz,and seems intertwined with the SWTWC theme in an orchestral version)

5)Hedwig's theme concert version again

6)SWTWC orchestral version

7)SWTWC chorus version again

8)Action cue that sounds like Escape from Venice

9)Slower darker version of SWTWC with a wordless choir

10)new quirky motif associated with Trelawney(sounds like the scherzo from Fitzwilly)

11)creepy underscore

12)Lovely middle-eastern sounding oboe and harp passage when they show Hagrid feeding Buckbeak

13)creepy wordless choirs again

14)Raider's style creepy music.

15)Hedwig's theme concert version

16)SWTWC song version again

K.M.

Wow. I mean . . .WOW. What a preview! I'm loving the dementors, and seeing so much of Buckbeak was an absolute delight. Highlights of the music that I can remember . . . like KM said, SWTWC (aka Double Trouble?) played a major role in the preview. The small ensemble medieval-type performances of the theme were amazing, very unique. And when it showed Buckbeak flying over the lake towards the beginning there was a very triumphant variation of it. Also, I noticed the action-y cue someone mentioned, with the horn bursts, which sounded cool though I couldn't hear it well after that. I can't think of anything else right now . . . could May 25/June 4 be any farther away?!?!

EDIT: Excellent list, KM, now I'm going to watch the preview again and listen for it all!!!

Ray Barnsbury

LOL, you guys are nuts, and I mean that affectionately. :) Anyhow, I'm definitely anticipating this third HP movie as much as I have any blockbuster since probably AOTC. Here's hoping the film/score combination disappoints far less than that one did.

I'm glad you have high expectations, especially given your lukewarm feelings for the first two scores. Let's hope none of us will be let down! beerchug

Ray Barnsbury

Its 12:30 am, I just got home from B&N, I've got to be up by 7:10, I've got 4 hours of vcr recordings here to watch, and even Alan is seemingly giddy with anticipation. Sunday nights are my worst for insomnia, but damn all of you make me want to try and watch as much as possible.

And when it showed Buckbeak flying over the lake towards the beginning there was a very triumphant variation of it.  

I just love it when 10 seconds of music just blows away anything I've heard in the last year and a half.Williams rules!

K.M.

Wowsers, I'm watching it right now and it's awesome! I really can't wait now...

EDIT: I prefer the vocals to "Double Trouble" as heard on the trailer. I was also disappointed to see the lack of credit to John Williams in the ending credits for the featurette. Perhaps it was cut short before we got to see it, but I need to see his name there!

PoA Preview:

1)SWTWC chorus song version,orchestrated like Diagon Alley

2)Furious version of the Nimbus 2000 theme(seems louder than previous versions)

3)music that resembles that of the Palace Feast scene in ToD(Ah,snake...surprise!).

4)Triumphant new theme underscoring Buckbeak flying(sounds like a waltz,and seems intertwined with the SWTWC theme in an orchestral version)

5)Hedwig's theme concert version again

6)SWTWC orchestral version

7)SWTWC chorus version again

8)Action cue that sounds like Escape from Venice

9)Slower darker version of SWTWC with a wordless choir

10)new quirky motif associated with Trelawney(sounds like the scherzo from Fitzwilly)

11)creepy underscore

12)Lovely middle-eastern sounding oboe and harp passage when they show Hagrid feeding Buckbeak

13)creepy wordless choirs again

14)Raider's style creepy music.

15)Hedwig's theme concert version

16)SWTWC song version again

BLOODY Hell!

Marian - :mrgreen:

I seriously doubt I've ever looked forward to a John Williams score more than this one... :mrgreen:

Which could spell disaster. ;)

Justin

I enjoyed being able to not watch it for 4 hours and then having the ability to download it in 50 seconds. :mrgreen:

I just watched the preview. I enjoyed hearing the small snippets of music. Now, where is the AOL Listening Party for this???

Neil

I just watched the preview.  I enjoyed hearing the small snippets of music.  Now, where is the AOL Listening Party for this???

Neil

I am SO with you on this. I've been checking AOL every day for a glimpse of it, and nada. How can they be so cruel? But all this stuff sounds SO good!! Williams is NOT going to disappoint, stop being so pesamistic people!!

I enjoyed being able to not watch it for 4 hours and then having the ability to download it in 50 seconds.  :music:

I downloaded the quicktime version.The sound is reaaaaaaly bad,i can barely hear anything,really.That's why there isn't a flurry of posts about this today.Unless you taped it on VHS you can't hear a thing.

K.M.

Yes,the coolest thing for me has always been catching a glimpse of a new JW theme in a TV commercial for the film,I remember this happening many times(Hook,JP...),then this rises the excitement about the c.d. even more.

K.M.Who liked what he heard last night

I thought the bit that scored the glimpse of Buckbeak's Flight was great. But it was so fast it's hard to tell.

When I heard it I was like "Holy cow there it awesome awesome hey where'd it go??"

Justin

It's seemed like a waltsy theme.Maybe it's Aunt Marge's Waltz,or the ending of Double Trouble.

We never know with these preview clips,the music is not usually at the place it appears in the film.

K.M.

I kinda hope that's the case, as that music was a clear variation of SWTWC, and I'd like Buckbeak to have a completely new theme.

Ray Barnsbury

I think it's "part" of the SWTWC theme,like Nimbus 2000 is "in" Hedwig's Theme.Buckbeak could be something else,maybe the Egyptian sounding theme near the end.

On another note,i'm getting a bit tired with Hedwig's Theme and Nimbus 2000,i hope Williams doesn't use them too much.

On the other hand,we still a really rousing version of Harry's Theme,I think Williams didn't go all out with it yet.

K.M.

I think it's "part" of the SWTWC theme,after hearing the clips over and over.Buckbeak could be something else,maybe the Egyptian sounding theme near the end.  

What part of the preview does this underscore?

On another note,i'm getting a bit tired with Hedwig's Theme and Nimbus 2000,i hope Williams doesn't use them too much.  

Agreed. They're both excellent, excellent themes, but it's time to give something new the center stage.

Ray Barnsbury

I think it's "part" of the SWTWC theme,after hearing the clips over and over.Buckbeak could be something else,maybe the Egyptian sounding theme near the end.  

What part of the preview does this underscore?

Wehn we see Hagrid throw a piece of meat at Buckbeak

K.M.

From the cast and crew list:

Music Editors KEN WANNBERG

PETER MYLES

Music Scoring Mixer SHAWN MURPHY

Orchestrations CONRAD POPE

EDDIE KARAM

Orchestra Concertmistress MARCIA CRAYFORD

Early Music Instruments THE DUFAY COLLECTIVE

Chorus LONDON VOICES

Chorus Master TERRY EDWARDS

Children's Choir THE LONDON ORATORY SCHOOL

Choir Master STEPHEN GRAHL

?Double Trouble? includes performance by LONDON SINFONIETTA

Music Recorded & Mixed at ABBEY ROAD STUDIOS, LONDON

"A Winter's Spell?

Music by John Williams

Lyrics by Cynthia Weil and Jamie Richardson

"La Cumparsita"

Written by Gerardo Matos Rodriguez

Performed by Alfred House Orchestra

Courtesy of Laserlight

By arrangement with Source/Q

"La Cumparsita"

Courtesy of Laserlight

Wow, El Harry gets exotico.

"La Cumparsita"

Courtesy of Laserlight

what the...is that the c.d. credits?

if yes: :angry:

K.M.

Why, do you know what it is? Perhaps it's good and fits the score.

Early Music Instruments THE DUFAY COLLECTIVE

Interesting.

?Double Trouble? includes performance by LONDON SINFONIETTA

Music Recorded & Mixed at ABBEY ROAD STUDIOS, LONDON

Could that be the bit for the trailer?

Marian - curious.

:angry: Under Fire (Jerry Goldsmith)

Wow, another song! Too bad "A Winter's Spell" isn't on the soundtrack, if the tracklisting we have is indeed accurate. I wonder what part of the film it's for. By the way, shouldn't there be an official press release for the soundtrack out by now?

Ray Barnsbury

Maybe this schedule clashed with that of Troy.

If that's the cause, he'd probably lose a lot of my respect...but before I make any false accusations, I'll wait until I hear the score on Thursday.

Marian - doubting it will be great.

WTF is a Concertmistress?

K.M.

In a symphony orchestra i think it's the first violinist if the player is female (concertmaster if male)

I have no problem with Shawn Murphy. Or Simon Rhodes, it makes no real diffrence to me.

Same here. It's nitpicking.

Ray Barnsbury

It matters to Marian on his 30,000$ sound system,where only he can tell the difference :angry: .

Seriously I hope the bass is not too muddled.On A.I. it's terrible(Abandonned in the Wooods)

K.M.

Shawn Murphy's recent mix for Howard's Peter Pan score sounded great, though. Perhaps he's finally gotten himself some hearing aids. :angry:

Same here.  It's nitpicking.

If that's nitpicking, we could all just as well take a Minidisc recorder to the theatre and record the score there instead of getting the CD... :roll:

Taylor adds the following:

Looks like Williams has finally ditched Simon Rhodes (mixer o­n HP1 and 2) for his old collaborator Shawn Murphy who is likely to provide a score with much more clarity than Rhodes.

Clarity, eh? I must've been buying faulty Murphy-discs for years...

But the bit about Pan sounds promising...perhaps he HAS recovered or something. He certainly was one of the greats, but that stopped after Summon the Heroes.

Marian - hoping.

:angry: Myst III: Exile (Jack Wall)

"La Cumparsita"

Courtesy of Laserlight

what the...is that the c.d. credits?

if yes: :angry:

K.M.

This isn't from the C.D. credits, it's from the film's end credits. I'd say it's most likely source music, perhaps heard duing the Leaky Cauldron sequence.

As for the speculation that "A Winter's Spell" won't be included on the album if the current track listing is accurate, I'd remind everyone of the track "Christmas at Hogwarts" from the first soundtrack which included the Christmas carol. This new song could very well be included in a track by another name as well.

While I'm not certain what a Concertmistress is, Marcia Crayford was also listed as such on the first soundtrack, so I'd assume PoA is performed the same group of musicians, more or less. The strange thing is there's no Orchestra contractor listed.

[. The strange thing is there's no Orchestra contractor listed.

It's because it's all in synthesisers,as the trailers indicated. :angry:

K.M.

If that's nitpicking, we could all just as well take a Minidisc recorder to the theatre and record the score there instead of getting the CD...  

Oh yeah cause there's really that much difference in quality when you have different mixer. Hey that's fine if you have better ears or something, but I really don't don't care who mixes it (at least I haven't heard anything that has made me care so far). It's nitpicking for me, but if you can tell the difference then you're entitled to care.

Ray Barnsbury

If that's nitpicking, we could all just as well take a Minidisc recorder to the theatre and record the score there instead of getting the CD...  

Oh yeah cause there's really that much difference in quality when you have different mixer. Hey that's fine if you have better ears or something, but I really don't don't care who mixes it (at least I haven't heard anything that has made me care so far). It's nitpicking for me, but if you can tell the difference then you're entitled to care.

Ray, there are some huge differences. If you want to hear differences in mixes, can I suggest listening to the Anthology mix of "Hyperspace" from The Empire Strikes Back and the SE mix of it. Note the differences. That shows what can happen with a different mixer.

Murphy's albums lately have presented a wildly unfocused orchestra that is not very distinct. A.I. has a piano the size of the recording hall. It's not very natural. But I'll wait until I can hear this album.

Neil

The Producer is almost invariably the one who decides the sound of the recording, mixer/engineer are but assistants.