Changes to Star Wars trilogy on DVD?

The EE of LOTR just adds the material that PJ had to take out because of length and so the people who aren't obsessive fans would fully understand it.

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really looking forward to the EE of RotK, though. I think that movie was just sloppy. There are a lot of things set up within the film (like Gothmog, and the Gandalf vs. Witch-King fight) that you never get to see. I just missed them, and not just because I had read the book.

But as said, Jackson at least lets you choose. And it doesn't look like these movies'll be tinkered with for eternity. Lucas just keeps screwing with these films. Continuity my ass.

- Marc

There are a lot of things set up within the film (like Gothmog, and the Gandalf vs. Witch-King fight) that you never get to see. I just missed them, and not just because I had read the book.

Indeed, it really bugs me that we never see what happens to Gothmog.

I really hope to see the little pigface die horrible.

Footage has already surfaced on the internet of Gothmog's fate. Looks like Éowyn will kill him. I wish we could get Denethor's Palantír, but no such scenes were ever shot. Pity. It's such a great character in the book, and the whole Palantír thing brings so many great nuances. There are some references to Denethor having a Palantír, but I guess we'll never see it.

Anyhoo, what about that Star Wars deal, eh?!?

- Marc

I think most of the scenes in TTT:EE add more understanding to the movie. The orcs joining the Uruks explains why they fought at Fangorn when no problems were had before; Faramir's Flashbacks explain his motivations for taking the Ring to Gondor; and the EE also explains how Theodred got wounded (also providing an Excellent rendition of the Riders of Rohan Motif), and how Aragorn ended up on Brego.

K.M.Hoping this thread returns to Star Wars.

This thread is about some weird bastard movies with the words "Star Wars" attached to them. I know I've seen Star Wars but I've never seen whats coming out next month with that name on it.

Neil

K.M.Hoping this thread returns to Star Wars.

This thread is about some weird bastard movies with the words "Star Wars" attached to them. I know I've seen Star Wars but I've never seen whats coming out next month with that name on it.

Neil

WOW!

I couldnt have returned the thread to SW better than you!

:roll:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure we're not done seeing changes...there are always the Hi-Def or Blu-Ray versions still to come in the next few years, I'm sure

I expect Lucas'll do some more tinkering with the prequels as well when the prequel box or the saga box comes out. In fact, as it is now, we don't even have the theatrical versions of Ep 1 and 2 on DVD.

- Marc, getting ready for the 100m finals.

I'm starting to wonder if Lucasfilm finally went after Millenniumfalcon.com (the site that posted all of the pictures of the changes to the DVD) . I haven't been able to access the site for a few days now. Has anyone else been able to go there recently.

In fact, as it is now, we don't even have the theatrical versions of Ep 1 and 2 on DVD.

Really? What has changed on DVD in Ep 2? I thought it was the same as the theatrical release.

The Ep. 2 DVD is the digital "print" (not the celluloid one).

For the DVD, extra sparks and smokes were added to Jango Fett's backpack in the arena sequence, just befor Mace Windu chops him up.

So only a wee bit of effects work, and some extra footage that wasn't in the hardcopy release, but was in the digital version, which was considered the "final cut".

- Marc

There's also some added dialogue when Anakin describes the Tusken massacre to Padmé ("I'm a Jedi. I know I'm better than this"). The music cue has been butchered accordingly.

I thought that everything on the DVD was in the digital theater version of Ep. II with nothing changed.

Lucas even comments on this at one point when the extra sparks are added. He may even make a comment about the real version, though I've always preferred to think he was speaking of the "reel" version.

Neil

He looks about as real as the trix rabbit with some textrure maps. Those animators suck ass. Look at the eye animation on the first closeup of the new Jabba. Its like they used that freeware morphing program to do it.

Well from the no change is the best change department, it looks like all the wild speculation about Yoda being partially re-done with CG like ET was just that: wild specualtion. ;)

John- still hoping that the rumored "dissolving of the Senate" scene has been made for ANH (more Ian McDiarmid! :mrgreen: ), but we probably would've gotten some confirmation by now if it was.

John- still hoping that the rumored "dissolving of the Senate" scene has been made for ANH (more Ian McDiarmid!  :mrgreen: ), but we probably would've gotten some confirmation by now if it was.

You left off the " :| " emoticon.

Oh, you weren't joking. ;)

Neil

John- still hoping that the rumored "dissolving of the Senate" scene has been made for ANH (more Ian McDiarmid!  :mrgreen: ), but we probably would've gotten some confirmation by now if it was.

You left off the " ;) " emoticon.

Oh, you weren't joking. :|

;)

:flush:

:mrgreen:

:|

Justin - :nono:

Oh come on Luke, bootlegs of these DVD's are already out there.

I knew it. I just thought they were not the finished products. The Sabers looks bad in them. They didnt have the EPIII teaser, neither the Battlefront demo nor the EPIII videogame video...

But well i'll wait for the ultimate editions, that i hope have all the effects polished, not this rushed up hybrids ;)

And i hope the ultimate editions come with the original versions ;)

If there was ever a time for Williams to re-score stuff and fix edits,it's now,I mean he's not really busy at the moment and his next score is Ep.3

K.M.

I am watching the ESB dvd as I am writing this. I work at blockbuster and we got it today. I have to wait until next wednesday for the other two. I must say, the transfer is incredible. The restortation in sound and picture is the best I have ever seen on a dvd. It's really amazing. As for the changes, there have been subtle (and i mean really subtle) enhancements to the battle of Hoth, and the Luke's scream has in fact been removed... there may yet be some hope for the Greedo scene in Star Wars. The new Emperor hologram is really interesting, especially since it doesn't even look like the Emperor does in ROTJ. Perhaps it's what Palpatine will look like when he reveals himself in ROTS. At any rate, this is a brilliant dvd and I can't wait to see the other two. I'll have more info on this after I see the whole thing.

Ted

How about the Bespin matte paintings and flybyes,I always thought it was the fakest looking part of ESB..did they improve on the 1997 SE?

What we need in those new editions is more transitionnal shots depicting Ralph Mc Quarry'a original concepts.For example they could show a Jawa Sandcrawler assembly in a desert shot,or richer landscape and more creatures on dagobah,more floating factories on Bespin,less static shots of Jabba's Palace and see what happens on the different levels..ect...

K.M.

The Digital Bits has posted their detailed review of the trilolgy, including still images of the major changes with side-by-side comparisons to '97 special editions.

No mention of the ugly Saber effects. It may had been a beta version after all

Cross fingers....

The Digital Bits has posted their detailed review of the trilolgy, including still images of the major changes with side-by-side comparisons to '97 special editions.

No mention of the ugly Saber effects. It may had been a beta version after all

Cross fingers....

Cross fingers doesnt work. :thumbup:

I read ROJ still has the Vader's Pink saber :(

Hey stop complaining about Vader with a pink saber dammit!

That guy is so bad ass he could have a pink saber, a ballerina gown, and a lavender helmet and still strike fear into the hearts of men! :thumbup:

Hey stop complaining about Vader with a pink saber dammit!  

That guy is so bad ass he could have a pink saber, a ballerina gown, and a lavender helmet and still strike fear into the hearts of men! :D

:thumbup::(ROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAO

Just for the record, what does the acronym ROTFLMA0 stand for?