ROTJ DVD Edition...I've seen the ending

TheMaulMan

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From another thread:

The director's commentary from the end of the ROTJ DVD:

LUCAS: As he (Anakin) joins the force, he is able to retain his original identity. It's because of Obi-wan and Yoda, who learned how to do that: how to join the force at will and then retain your identity. But it was his identity as he was when he died, as Anakin Skywalker.

OK, so if we are to believe that Anakin "died" when he became Vader, this would have to mean that Count Dooku "died" when he became Darth Tyranous. Yet, everyone still calls him Count Dooku (no "that name no longer has any meaning for me" from Dooku). I still think it makes no sense. This idea of a separate "soul" being created when one becomes a sith just doesn't hold water once you really look at examples like Dooku.

Anakin's conversion may have been more extensive and "complete" than others. We really need to see Episode III before we can properly commentate on this.

The Jedi still refer to Tyranus as Dooku because while they know he has turned to the Dark Side, they don't know that he is a Sith who is in league with Sidious. We know that, but no one else in the story does, as of now at least. This explains why the Jedi still refer to him as Dooku by the end of the film. We see Anakin like that in ROTJ because he has been converted back to the Light of the Force, wheras I'm sure Tyranus will die as Tyranus and not be converted.

Ted

I knew something didn't seem right when I typed Tyranus' name. Thanks for the correction and insight. I am still just not convinced that Lucas gave a good enough explanation on the DVD commentary. Maybe he'll elaborate in a future interview.

I'm not going to make any concrete opinions about this until after I see both the RoJ DVD and Ep. III. We don't have all the facts about this right now. This (the whole Force Ghost concept) is something that was always supposed to be explained in Ep. III, and if Lucas wanted to raise the question in everyone's mind putting young Anakin into RoJ was the perfect way to do it.

John- who thinks Lucas is stretching quite a bit just to have another OT-prequel link, but is open to explanations.

It's going to get even more weird with the huge rumors abound of another Star Wars trilogy after this

Yes, there was a rumor on TFN a few weeks ago that ILM had signed non-disclosure agreements for Eps. VII-IX. And there's the continued TV show rumblings (Vader between Eps. III and IV, the life of Boba Fett?). There is a future for Star Wars after Episode III, we just don't know what it is yet.

It's going to get even more weird with the huge rumors abound of another Star Wars trilogy after this

I doubt JW will be involved,so we can stop caring then

K.M.

If somehow a sequel film or trilogy gets made in a reasonable amount of time, do you think JW would say no? Or that he wouldn't even be asked? I'm not so sure. He might even be talked into scoring a pilot for a TV show or something if it happens. I wouldn't dismiss the possiblity out of hand.

I doubt JW will be involved,so we can stop caring then

K.M.

EXACTLY! The only reaszon to care about any future SW endeavors is to get new SW scores from JW. Without those why even bother? :wave:

I think how may the Ghost anakin will be handled in EPIII.

Maybe after the Obi-Wan duel, and ankin fall in the melting pit, Obi wan mamages to get him out. BUt anakin will die, he will be embarrased of what he has done, and then say to Obi to give his saber to his son. Then he will expire. Palpatine will find the corpse and will revive him mechanicaly. Anakin Skywalker Will be dead, and only a echo of him will be in him, which will redeem him in the years after (maybe it is a 'point-link' where the actual anakin spirit retains control of his body to his redemption. That way anakin spirit should be young, since he died not as Vader, since he was just borrowing an almost corpse...

Wicked mind, mine... :mrgreen:

What do you want, government intervention?  

Look, it's too bad that Lucas wants to do all this, but it's his decision, his "vision."

:mrgreen:

Though I don't think it's too bad that he wants to do all this. I think he's actually showing pride in his work. Imagine that.

I don't think all those changes are really something to be proud of. They don't make better movies. I hate all this plastic surgery on movies.

SW is the "vision" of many people. Lucas may have played the primary role.

However, Lucas should respect the original vision by making BOTH the theatrical and "HIS" versions made available. If he did that I would have no quarrel with him.

At least on this issue ........ :)

Regarding the issue of Christensen replacing Shaw, chronologically speaking, it does make some sense though he should have been slightly aged with make-up. Even setting aside the prequels and special editions, Shaw was just far too old when cast in the role. Vader/Anakin was Luke's father, not his grandfather, and should have been somewhere between 45 and 50 at the time of his death. Shaw was 76 when the film was photographed, almost a decade older than Guinness and visibly so. Therefore, it's difficult to believe the man was supposed to be Obi-Wan's former apprentice. It's convincing enough when we see him scarred and disfigured but not in spirit form. I've always considered it a slight continuity error. Honestly, my biggest problem with the changes to the scene has more to do with the technical quality of its execution. If it's going to be done, it shouldn't look like an amateur cut-and-paste job with the technology that is readily available to ILM.

I freely admit to having a major interest in director's cuts, special editions, and/or extended versions of my favorite movies from both artistic and technical points-of-view. However, I'll always buy the theatrical editions as well, whenever possible, because they preserve my first impressions of the films. The fact still remains that revisionist filmmaking is only of interest to a smaller niche market, not a mass audience. The sooner Lucas comes to realize that the better. Consequently, I will continue to argue for the release of the original cuts of the trilogy on DVD. As William mentions above, a large number of people worked extremely hard to help bring these films to life and make it the pop-cultural phenomenon it has become. It's wrong of Lucas to ignore not only that, but also 20 years of film history and fans' memories.

Did you ever think if Lucas had "actually" (like he claims to have) thought out the entire trilogy - and even double trilogy - before shooting the first frame, he would have had Luke make out with his sister? Face it - hes going by the seed of his pants and I guess he feels he has the power to go "back" in time and CGI anything he didn't like in the original. Also don't you think if JW would have thought of the Imperial March Theme before Empire he would have stuck that in a few times in a New Hope. He comes soooo close to doing it a few times - especially in the blockade running opening. I guess it is somewhat cool that these films seemed to have evolved as the people behind the scenes became more familiar with the stuff themselves.

Many people IS NOT Lucas, Keshner & Marquand.

Lucas HAS played the primary role.

You thinking the contrary is not the truth, wherever you like it or not.

Many people IS NOT Lucas, Keshner & Marquand.

Lucas HAS played the primary role.

You thinking the contrary is not the truth, wherever you like it or not.

The people resonsible for the SW Trilogy goes well beyond just those 3 names. Gary Kurtz, Lawrence Kasdan, among others.

Producers just put money, at least in SW (except GL), they just made the movie happen. Scripters just polish GL story.

I know the desing people had a lot of work in SW and how it looks, but GL chooses what is going to appear and so...

I really sound disrespectful to those people and but you also did for GL, lets get not white or black , just grey :thumbup:

Ah and you left out Rick McCallum :(

Rick McCallum? What the hell has he done? He only stepped on the scene in like 91.

Not to mention all the guy does is kiss Lucas ass and swear like a sailor in interviews.

Other than that Rick isn't good for much of anything.

It's been a cause of dispute if the producers, Directors and writers were all channelling Lucas, or Lucas had a smaller part than is believed and those guys made it happen. I believe Kirshner said that Lucas was not on the set of TESB very much.

Look I am not going to deny Lucas' predominant role in the Trilogy.

I am just saying he needs to learn to respect the contributions of others as well. This was NOT a 1 man job.

I think i heard the contrary, but i could be wrong.

I dont think he would have gone to Norway just for he felt like?

It's well known that Lucas was not on the location of Empire very often. Only when the budget started going out of control did he take a more hands on approach.

Neil

To all those who think Lucas wants to take all the credit in the OT, listen to the commentary on the ESB dvd and listen to what Kirschner has to say at the end. You might be surprised.

Ted, who loved the audio commentary, especially what Lucas had to say

1. I don't mind any of the changes that's I've read about whatsoever. In fact, I am looking forward to seeing them. Watching the same old three movies can be a little boring. And McDiarmid as Palpatine in ESB is possibly the best of all the changes, IMO. The Hayden addition at the end of Jedi... I'll have to see it, but I'm not hating it. Jabba cleaned up in ANH? Good. I'll see each of the changes and judge them myself, but I'll probably either not mind them or even like them. Keep in mind, most non Star Wars nerds and movie nerds don't even notice the changes and still see them as the same movies. It's being anal and picky to even care.

2. Lucas is not illegally destroying his classics. "His vision and his right as an artist and creator of the Star Wars universe" is correct. Some of you are taking this WAAAYY too hard, sheesh. Plus, in addition to that...

3. ...If you own videotapes, laserdiscs, and/or DVD-Rs of the original versions, then who cares? He can't send out stormtroopers to destroy every old copy. Just give me some quality DVD-R transfers from the laserdiscs to go along with them and I'll be happy with getting the new set.

4. Way back in 1995, when the THX versions were released, he did say it was the last time you would own the original Star Wars. At least he's telling the truth, even though I still say he should release the originals with the new ones.

5. Narrative? I love how Vader was redeemed. To me, it's the highlight of the original Trilogy. Would you rather Vader died and Luke took out the Emperor? Or Vader lived and watched Palpatine kill his son? What's the point of that? Yeah, Vader's persona changed drastically between ANH, ESB and ROTJ (and I personally loved Vader the most in ESB), but who cares? I loved it! As a 8-9 year old boy in the theatre in 1983, the whole Luke/Vader/Emperor conflict was the scariest and greatest thing I ever saw on a movie screen.

6. Lucas has made changes with the TPM and AOTC DVDs too... most went unnoticed and I never heard 1 person complain about them. In fact, I liked all of the subtle changes in those DVDs.

Here's how my kids will see the Star Wars movies (when they ae born and old enough to know what's going on):

1. Star Wars (1977)

2. Empire Strikes Back (1980)

3. Return of the Jedi (1983)

4. Star Wars: Episode I- The Phantom Menace (1999)

5. Star Wars: Episode II- The Attack of the Clones (2002)

6. Star Wars: Episode III- The Revenge of the Sith (2005)

7. Star Wars: Episode IV- A New Hope (1980/1997/2004)

8. Star Wars: Episode V- The Empire Strikes Back (1983/1997/2004)

9. Star Wars: Episode VI- The Return of the Jedi (1977/1997/2004)

I wouldn't have it any other way.

-Chris

Watching the same old three movies can be a little boring.

If you think that, maybe you didn't like the movie in the first place.

And McDiarmid as Palpatine in ESB is possibly the best of all the changes, IMO.

Wait until you see it before you pass judgment.

Keep in mind, most non Star Wars nerds and movie nerds don't even notice the changes and still see them as the same movies.

That is completely untrue. You could not be a fan of Star Wars and not notice the changes.

If you own videotapes, laserdiscs, and/or DVD-Rs of the original versions, then who cares? He can't send out stormtroopers to destroy every old copy. Just give me some quality DVD-R transfers from the laserdiscs to go along with them and I'll be happy with getting the new set.

But we can't own the films we want with the highest quality possible. It's a slap in the face to have to settle for bootlegs.

Narrative? I love how Vader was redeemed. To me, it's the highlight of the original Trilogy.

Too bad the first two films never hinted at that happening, since ROTJ was clearly tacked on to finish the story.

Lucas has made changes with the TPM and AOTC DVDs too... most went unnoticed and I never heard 1 person complain about them.

Because nobody likes those movies. And the changes in TPM were possible to spot. I recognized them right away.

Neil

Watching the same old three movies can be a little boring.

If you think that, maybe you didn't like the movie in the first place.

And McDiarmid as Palpatine in ESB is possibly the best of all the changes, IMO.

Wait until you see it before you pass judgment.

Bull crap. You are biased against any changes to your precious movies!

Justin - :sigh:

Justin, you are missing the point there. They ARE NOT his movies ;) , and he really only cares for one anyway. (though one may think that he likes two, since he could spot all the changes made to the DVD of... :sigh: )

The new Emperor still does not convince me. But the fact is that the older never did, so i think this one will be better, plus the just the voice is fine.

Luke, I grew up with Jedi. I was 6 when it came out and up until 1997, I'd seen it dozens of times. It was only in theater that it dawned on me that it's really a dreadful film, and quite boring. I do know it pretty well, but I haven't watched it in one sitting from start to finish since 1997. I can't do it anymore, I either get restless or fall asleep. And I'm still so used to the original version that I was completely caught off guard when it cut to the harmonica playing frog and not "Lapti Nek".

Neil

To all those who think Lucas wants to take all the credit in the OT, listen to the commentary on the ESB dvd and listen to what Kirschner has to say at the end. You might be surprised.

Ted, who loved the audio commentary, especially what Lucas had to say

What exactly does he say? I am passng on this!