ROTJ DVD Edition...I've seen the ending

TheMaulMan

Just saw a commentary-free video clip for the entire ending of the ROTJ DVD Edition. As if there was any doubt, but Hayden is definitely in. As is the Naboo celebration, and the Jedi Temple and Senate buildings on Coruscant. Personally, I like these additions...even young Anakin.

The music...I had said I thought it cut through more on the commentary track, but it didn't sound that way to me this time. Hard to tell with a rip, but I'm not expecting much of a difference. I swear you can hear the percussion and the bass line better than the actual melody. So annoying!

Send me a personal message if you'd like a link to the clip.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait a minute! Why in the hell is Anakin young? That makes no friggin sense!

The guy was killed when he was old not young.

You didn't see friggin Ewan Mcgregor standing next to Yoda did you? If this is true then it is only further proof of the continuing insanity that IS George Lucas.

I think lucas explains this the commentary mentioned befroe. I could not understand it myself.

What pissses me off furthermore is that Naboo is mirrored, and the Senate and Jedi Temples were supposed lost in the EU.

McGregor is not there, and Yoda is not CGI

You didn't see friggin Ewan Mcgregor standing next to Yoda did you? If this is true then it is only further proof of the continuing insanity that IS George Lucas.

Because you're looking at Anakin Skywalker, and not Darth Vader.

Anakin 'died' in episode 3, but was 'restored' by Luke here. Like Ben Kenobi said: "...the man that was your father died. He became Darth Vader."

Vader was destroyed/redeemed himself in ROTJ, and he became the good Jedi Anakin again. So that is what you're looking at...a younger episode 3 Anakin.

ANH:

Crappy CGI Jabba replaced with newer CGI Jabba. Han still steps on his tail.

New CGI eyeball on the Dia Noga.

When Obi-Wan is shutting off the tractor beam, the english words on the panel are replaced with the basic or whatever words that the other two films use.

Death Star corridor matte painting replaced with new cgi background (basically so the corridor goes straight back instead of two different angles.)

They FINALLY colored in Vader's saber in that one shot that was never colored before.

ESB:

All of Boba Fett's dialogue has been re-recorded by the actor who played Jango Fett in AOTC.

Boba Fett's Slave I has its AOTC sound effects now.

The conversation between Vader and the Emperor is redone. The original Emperor is gone completely and replaced by Ian McDiarmid. They also changed some dialogue: Part of the conversation now goes something like: Emp: "We have a new enemy. The young rebel who destroyed the Death Star. I believe him to be the son of Anakin Skywalker" "Vader: "How is that possible?"

ROTJ:

When Luke takes off Vader's mask, they CGI'd Sebastian Shaw's eyes to be the same color as Hayden Christensen's, and digitally removed his eyebrows.

Naboo added to ending celebration. They just reversed a shot from TPM and added more crowd. You hear a gungan yell "Wesa free!"

In the Coruscant shot of the ending celebration, they added the Jedi Temple to the background.

They CGI'd in Hayden Christensen's head on Sebastian Shaw's body for the ending ghost scene. The effect is very poorly done.

Theres probably more stuff I'm forgetting.

The awesome things about the new dvds is how good the picture quality is. They now look like new movies made this year, the picture is that good. Plus they cleaned up all the matt lines (The Battle of Hoth and the Rancor scene look MUCH better). They digitally removed a lot of minor goofs throughout (like what they did with Raiders). It also looks like they re-did all of the saber effects to be more vibrant, etc. Only problem is that they messed up a few times in ESB and ROTJ as Vader's saber is PINK in a few shots in those films!

It just sucks that they still have all the crappy new scenes added in 1997.

PS I only have the ROTJ dvd myself, I've just seen clips and heard audio from the other two films.

They digitally removed a lot of minor goofs throughout (like what they did with Raiders).

Does that mean that now, instead of bumping his head on the low overhang, the Death Star stormtrooper has been CGI-altered to carefully dodge the obstacle and say "that was a close one" in a New Zealandish accent?

Does that mean that now, instead of bumping his head on the low overhang, the Death Star stormtrooper has been CGI-altered to carefully dodge the obstacle and say "that was a close one" in a New Zealandish accent?

Lol, no of course not... just other stuff like wires, matte lines, etc.

No, remember this is now an indication that he's a clone, since Jango also hits his head on a door in AOTC.

Neil

ESB:

The conversation between Vader and the Emperor is redone.  The original Emperor is gone completely and replaced by Ian McDiarmid.  They also changed some dialogue:  Part of the conversation now goes something like: Emp: "We have a new enemy.  The young rebel who destroyed the Death Star.  I believe him to be the son of Anakin Skywalker" "Vader: "How is that possible?"

Somewhat better dialogue would go like this: Emp: "We have a new enemy. The young rebel who destroyed the Death Star. I believe him to be the son of Anakin Skywalker". Vader: "Yes, my Lord."

Vader should not ask explicit questions. It's against the true original spirit of his essence. Lucas forgot so much of the origin that I think I make a better Lucas than George himself.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Warning: Obscure cultural reference

I'm convinced Lucas would have been better off changing the dialogue to more accurately underpin the real situation facing the Empire.

Vader: "What is thy bidding, my master?"

Emperor: "There is a great disturbance in the force...get the battery"

Following this scene, we cut to Cloud City, where Darth challenges the duracell bunny to a lightsaber duel.

Following this scene, we cut to Cloud City, where Darth challenges the duracell bunny to a lightsaber duel.

I *loved* that commercial!

Still have it on tape too...

Haha, woops. Of course it was energizer.... he keeps going and going and going...

I wonder why they ever stopped those commercials?

Haha, woops.  Of course it was energizer.... he keeps going and going and going...

I wonder why they ever stopped those commercials?

Anything gets old after a while. I really wish Mastercard would change their shtick, it's gone on too long.

Because you're looking at Anakin Skywalker, and not Darth Vader.

Anakin 'died' in episode 3, but was 'restored' by Luke here. Like Ben Kenobi said: "...the man that was your father died. He became Darth Vader."

Vader was destroyed/redeemed himself in ROTJ, and he became the good Jedi Anakin again. So that is what you're looking at...a younger episode 3 Anakin.

That is a VERY weak explanation dude.

So because his soul was restored it suddenly loses it age?

That is quite frankly the most laughable crap I have ever read. It makes the ending to A.I. seem downright logical.

Yoda's clothes now remain when he dies?

NO CGI fighter explosions on the battle of Yavin?

No CGI enhacement/tinkering for Yoda?

Jason, I dont like the Hayden ghost, but i dont think it is poorly done. I still dont know if it is Shaw's body or Hayden's since it is neatly mixed. Now, he is speed up and his face does not exprees what it should i think. Just said this since your post looked like if the head danced over the body like some bad CGI interaction...

Luke who is puzzled that Anakin got normal Jedi robes, wich he never wore.

Does the Vader emperor dialogue sound like this? :

Palpatine:We have a new enemy, The young rebel who destroyed the death star. I have no doubt this boy is the offspring of Anakin Skywalker.

Vader:How is that possible?

Palpatine:Search your feelings Darth Vader, You know it to be true. He could destroy us

Vader: he's just a boy, obi wan cannot longer help him.

That is quite frankly the most laughable crap I have ever read. It makes the ending to A.I. seem downright logical.

I think it makes sense, as there never was an old Anakin Skywalker. I hate the idea, I would change it for the world, but it does make sense.

Morlock- who bets William thinks A.I. has a happy ending

You can speak for Spaniards there.  ;)

En España, y presumiblemente otros países europeos Duracell es la compañía con que maldice conejito.

"Pienso la razón por qué nosotros somos todo aquí está porque adoramos la música de Orfebre de Jerry. Su música. ..it llegó a ser la historia, su música está en el corazón. ..in nuestro espíritu. Pienso es nuestra tarea de decir las generaciones nuevas. personas ..young, cómo wonderfull que este compositor es. Gracias para su música de wonderfull." - Puñal de Conductor Brossé (Londres, 17 febrero, 2004)

You can speak for Spaniards there. :)

En España' date=' y presumiblemente otros países europeos Duracell es la compañía con que maldice conejito.

"Pienso la razón por qué nosotros somos todo aquí está porque adoramos la música de Orfebre de Jerry. Su música. ..it llegó a ser la historia, su música está en el corazón. ..in nuestro espíritu. Pienso es nuestra tarea de decir las generaciones nuevas. personas ..young, cómo wonderfull que este compositor es. Gracias para su música de wonderfull." - Puñal de Conductor Brossé (Londres, 17 febrero, 2004)

I meant that it was true here too, not that you had to explain it in some Star Trek dialect i do not know. ;) (nice effort by the way ;) but i laughed my ass off did you used a translator?)

I said elsewhere that my theory of Anakin's youthful appearance at the "new" ending of ROTJ was more due to that when he was Vader, he had nothing organic (i.e., living tissue) left in him and was kept artificially alive. As a result of that, there was nothing in him to age, so he was essentially kept intact since the day of his fall. I don't buy the Jedi spirit purgatory/limbo/whatever thing Lucas is talking about now.

But you know how much Lucas keeps on revising stuff after that fact. He's now saying that Obi-Wan really wanted Luke to come of age, not to wipe Vader and the Emperor out per se, but to redeem Anakin. In ROTJ, Luke is apprehensive about his destiny and final passage into becoming a Jedi: "I can't do it, Ben ... I can't kill my own father." Obi-Wan does not rebutt this remark at all. He pretty much says that Luke has to defeat Vader one way or another or all is lost. Even when Luke says about there being good in Vader, Obi-Wan does not concur. I think some of the marketing campaign for the upcoming DVD trilogy said something to the effect that Luke and Ben were not out to save the galaxy, but to save the man that will.

I think all these new changes are further proof that George Lucas is being allowed to destroy a classic. Image if the makers of the 1933 King Kong were to come back and make changes to that one, using a CGI Kong to replace the stop motion model. There would be an outcry from the industry.

Ok. George owns everything Star Wars but doesn't 20th Century Fox own the FILM itself?

He is only seeing the film that he wants which, unfortunately, is not what the viewing audience wants to see. And how much further is he willing to go before he says enough is enough. I tell you all now when he says "I am happy" he will have disappointed many fans.

Thank god I still have the original films on video.

Yoda's clothes now remain when he dies?

No, the scene looks exactly the same to me.

NO CGI fighter explosions on the battle of Yavin?

I don't think so...

No CGI enhacement/tinkering for Yoda?

None that I've seen.

Jason, I dont like the Hayden ghost, but i dont think it is poorly done. I still dont know if it is Shaw's body or Hayden's since it is neatly mixed. Now, he is speed up and his face does not exprees what it should i think. Just said this since your post looked like if the head danced over the body like some bad CGI interaction...

It's DEFINITELY the original body and they just replaced Shaw's head with Christensen's. (They did slim down Shaw's body a little bit though). I still think the effect is poorly done. He no longer makes eye contact with Obi Wan, he looks down too quickly, and when he does look down his chin kinda dissapears. Plus he's not smiling, he doesn't really look happy, or proud. He still looks kinda evil and mischievious.

Luke who is puzzled that Anakin got normal Jedi robes, wich he never wore.

The whole thing makes no sense. Yoda and Obi-Wan look exactly the same as when they died/faded, why shouldn't Anakin?

Does the Vader emperor dialogue sound like this?

Palpatine:We have a new enemy, The young rebel who destroyed the death star. I have no doubt this boy is the offspring of Anakin Skywalker.

Vader:How is that possible?

Palpatine:Search your feelings Darth Vader, You know it to be true. He could destroy us

Vader: he's just a boy, obi wan cannot longer help him.

That is exactly correct.

I'm just glad they didn't mess with the original music for that scene at all. I had feared they would mix in the Emperor's Theme.

I think the key to this new Anakin controversy is in Obi-Wan's line "He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader." He's being much more literal than we previously believed.

While it all might make sense, I think Lucas IS reaching a bit in order to get Hayden Christiansen in there. But I can understand why, another link to the prequels and the tying together of all six movies.

And I think that we're missing a piece of the puzzle, a piece we've been pondering for years: why do some Jedi disappear when they die while others don't? This has to do with a Jedi "becoming one with the Force", and is a question that's supposed to be answered in Episode III. It should help us understand what's going on here with the RoJ ending.

John- waiting to be blasted as a "SW geek" by the anti-Lucas crowd :roll:

I think all these new changes are further proof that George Lucas is being allowed to destroy a classic.

What do you want, government intervention?

Look, it's too bad that Lucas wants to do all this, but it's his decision, his "vision."

Look, it's too bad that Lucas wants to do all this, but it's his decision, his "vision."

:)

Though I don't think it's too bad that he wants to do all this. I think he's actually showing pride in his work. Imagine that.

:)

Though I don't think it's too bad that he wants to do all this. I think he's actually showing pride in his work. Imagine that.

Where did you get that idea? What pride? It's more like he's ashamed and wants to change it all.

His decision? Too bad his decision isn't what it used to be. He's changing decisions he once made when he was at the peak of his genius. What if Lucas hits his head or gets demented in 10 years and he feels he should change it all again by replacing Han Solo with a pink elephant? Well, I guess it's his movie and he can do whatever he wants with it!

----------------

Alex Cremers

Anakin doesn't have to be young in the final scene. Luke REDEEMED, the guy, so Anakin Skywalker returned in the final moments of his life. Therefor, Hayden has no business in RotJ.

Ah, Crazy George, what will you think of next?

- Marc

I think the ghost thingy would have been explained better if Liam Neesom had a greed to replay his role. I have heard he refused (or he asked much money like Panaka )

I dont know how Lucas will fix :)

Sure why not. I know here in Oz they are still dictating to us what they think we should see. LOL

I think all these new changes are further proof that George Lucas is being allowed to destroy a classic.

It's Lucas' explanation, not mine really.

His soul didn't age, his soul was lost in episode 3...he became a living machine from then on.

You see, if you tought that was laugable than quite frankly so is the original ending with Sebastian (?). Cause HIS ghost looks quite normal to me, with no wires or a pale white skin or something. He doesn't look like Vader without the suit, much more like a younger and less distorted Anakin. And why was he wearing Jedi clothes all of a sudden. Because you see a younger Jedi, that's why....so this is even the case in the original version.

Did you think that was crap too?

While it all might make sense, I think Lucas IS reaching a bit in order to get Hayden Christiansen in there. But I can understand why, another link to the prequels and the tying together of all six movies.

Well, no, it is a good idea to see Hayden in stead of the original actor, just like we now see McDiarmid in stead of the original emperor. I have no problem with that actually, as long it's been handled well....that remains to be seen though.

Also, he could have easily used some make-up on Hayden to make him look much older, he didn't, so I guess he did that deliberately.

To be quite frank, this idea does all hold up throughout the entire saga. Maybe we actually see Anakin/Hayden's spirit remove itself from the body in episode 3. Then it will really hold....I think.

Well, no, it is a good idea to see Hayden in stead of the original actor, just like we now see McDiarmid in stead of the original emperor. I have no problem with that actually, as long it's been handled well....that remains to be seen though.

Also, he could have easily used some make-up on Hayden to make him look much older, he didn't, so I guess he did that deliberately.

To be quite frank, this idea does all hold up throughout the entire saga. Maybe we actually see Anakin/Hayden's spirit remove itself from the body in episode 3. Then it will really hold....I think.

hmm... so what is Vader actually then? Pure Dark Side force with traces of Anakin's childhood ideals?

I'm not sure... Obi-Wan portrayed him more as an utterly evil killing machine who had no conscience (sp?) or whatsoever, while Luke thought a bit higher of him, that he could be saved and redeemed.

This would all be so much easier if Return of the Jedi wasn't such a poorly constructed, dumb film. The whole redemption thing seems so tacked on. It was never a part of Star Wars or Empire and it's clear that Lucas wanted to wrap this whole thing up as quickly as possible. That is why Jedi is such a weak film from a narrative standpoint. It's dumb ending only goes to show how little thought went into this.

Neil

This would all be so much easier if Return of the Jedi wasn't such a poorly constructed, dumb film.  The whole redemption thing seems so tacked on.  It was never a part of Star Wars or Empire and it's clear that Lucas wanted to wrap this whole thing up as quickly as possible.  That is why Jedi is such a weak film from a narrative standpoint.  It's dumb ending only goes to show how little thought went into this.

Neil

The sad thing is many people don't even notice that there IS a difference between SW, TESB AND ROTJ. They usually go like: "Huh!? What do you mean? The effects in ROTJ are far better than those of SW or TESB". They couldn't give a rats ass about your "narrative".