What's so great about Goldsmith's HOLLOW MAN?

Hlao-roo

It honestly sounds like Goldsmith on auto-pilot to me. Not quite down to the level of Along Came a Spider, but still pretty bland. And yet outside of a handful of reviewers, it's heralded as some sort of classic.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "quality" of Hollow Man may be better comprehended when compared directly to "Basic Instinct" from which it draws a lot of ideas. Basic Instinct would be the score I'd call classic Goldsmith.

I don't like Hollow Man that much as well, and I rank it as low as Williams' "Sleepers" on either composer's list of favorites. But I don't think it's Goldsmith on "auto-pilot", because the moments of thrilling awe and fright that Hollow Man's music encompasses must have not been re-used from some other Jerry's work and they're not just plain throwaways. It's a well done score that is risky to listen to at night and beside moments of fright there's very little I like about it, save perhaps for the track similar to Basic Instinct theme in the middle.

Roman.-)

The wonderfully delicate minimalism and the complexity of the action writing (which may not be too original, but is a lot of fun and very interesting nonetheless).

Marian - who stands by what he said, it's Goldsmith's final masterpiece.

I agree. The minimalism is genius. It's a very good score, regardless of what anyone says. I love the almost complete turn around in the musical styling too. The first section is more minimalist (which has obviously been addressed!) and the second section is more action/horror/suspense/heroic material oriented. I love the short theme of resolution at the end.

However, I consider Nemesis Goldsmith's final masterpiece. That is a score like no other. It's so dissonant for a Star Trek score. Much of the first half sounds more like material for a horror or thriller film. Oh, and those epic battle cues in it are Goldsmith at his best. I don't know what corner of his mind they came from but I wish we'd been able to hear more of this. It also had some 'classic' style Goldsmith action in it too (the second half of 'The Mirror'). I love it.

I think L.A. Confidential was his final masterpiece. But Hollow Man, The Sum of All Fears, Timeline, Mulan, Small Soldiers- all first rate stuff. Confidential was the last score I heard the classic Jerry come out in a fresh way. The Sum of All Fears was the last one that sounds to me like it has classic Goldsmith at play in it. Afterwards- Nemesis, Timeline and Loony Tunes all seemed to be lacking the extra punch, just lacking the vitality that those fun scores like The Mummy and 13th Warrior had. I didn't sense Jerry having fun, or I didn't sense him feeling in any way challenged on those three scores. Even the Enterprise Theme at the end of Nemsis seemed to be lacking all of the majesty, beauty, and nobility that makes it the amazing piece that it is. The Sum of All Fears has two classic Goldsmith tracks IMO, two of his best.

:thumbup: Jerry Goldsmith - QB VII :sleepy:

Nemesis is a good Star Trek score. I love that the main theme from TMP (one of the greatest film score themes ever written) is used so much in the score. It turns out to be even more appropriate than when first made as it turned out to be Goldsmith's final ST score.

The darker tone works well for the movie, and the action cues are classic Goldsmith. My only complaint it the lack of one real, solid new theme for the rest of the score to work off of. There is a general motif/musical idea for Shinzon in the same mode as the general "V'Ger music" in TMP. But a full blown new theme would have made it even better.

God bless him, but I was never a Goldsmith fan. I'm glad others liked his stuff though. Well, maybe the Gremlins and Star Trek themes. :-P

Please, he's been hanging around me for 4 years now...nothing!

I have been worshiping thine Supreme Grace for 4 years now and in thine infinite power, I have seen the light of... Mulan and Supergirl.

Please, he's been hanging around me for 4 years now...nothing!

I have been worshiping thine Supreme Grace for 4 years now and in thine infinite power, I have seen the light of... Mulan and Supergirl.

To Ender, I salute thee.

I always salute thee Ender, but I will salute thee more when you go beyond those two fine but overrated Goldsmith scores.

Morlock- who has just discovered the brilliance of The Wind and the Lion

Never heard Supergirl.  Crazy?  Maybe one day.

It's really very good. Far to good for the movie. The score is never once a campy jokey mess, but the film certainly is.

Neil