My Summon The Heroes Signature Edition

RomanticStrings

As I was sitting here at the computer earlier on this fine December day, I saw the yellow and red van out of the corner of my eye. I knew that it had arrived. As the DHL man approached the door, I opened it. I suprised him a bit as he did not hear or see the door open. My intuition was correct for once. I tore open the sheet music mailing envelope and gazed at my two gifts. First I noticed the Passion on Jesus' face, for I had recieved the sheet music book from that most controversial but beautiful film. I turned my attention quickly to the other piece of musical genius. Looking straight at me in glorious white upon that most pleasing dark and light grey background were the simple words, "Summon The Heroes." My signature edition score had arrived. My very first in hopefully a large collection of scores to the music created by John Williams. Already, I have given it one listen, and I have already gained an appreciation of the real complexity of the piece, all of the instruments independent and individual yet all working together for that perfect emotional output. I'm very happy with the gifts that I recieved from my absolutely wonderful parents.

~Conor

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonderful! Summon the Heros is a -really- impressive piece. I would love to get my hands on the score.

I too know the joy of recieving JW Signature Editions in the mail. I ordered his wind arrangment of Nimbus 2000 and a piano reduction of Seven for Luck a while ago, and am thoroughly pleased. And in preparation for my independent study on Film Orchestration next semester, I requested the Brown Music Library order over $300 worth of Williams scores -- Star Wars suites, CEot3K, JFK, and Harry Potter -- and they agreed!!!

It was like Christmas all over again, Falstaft. So by Brown you mean Brown University, right? So you have to place an order that early? That's exciting, though, an independent study on Film Orchestration. What else will you be pouring over other than Williams?

~Conor

Yup. Every single one of the parts, though when there are multiple parts to an instrument, such as six trumpets ( :thumbup: ), there are two or three lines to make it less music per staff. It is wonderful to see, though, because there's a whole harp aprt that is there even though you can't hear it, and there's a ton of doubling that is drowned out by the louder of the two groups. Just wonderful stuff.

~Conor

Close Encounters is a fun read. Especially when he tells the piccolo to play "as high as possible" without putting any noteheads, just stems.

And he tells the french horns to play "as fast as possible".

Its quite nice how he imbeds that stuff inside traditional writing. I don't like Cage or Zorn, but I like a tad of that spicing up metered work.

My very first in hopefully a large collection of scores

Conor, I too am starting my collection. Last year a friend bought "The Cowboys Overture" for my birthday. This year, I treated myself to "Escapades for Alto Saxophone and Orchestra". "Summon the Heroes" is definitely on my list, but I'll probably be getting either "Call of the Champions" or the Harry Potter Children's Suite next.

Anthony, who knows how excited Conor must have been when his package arrived.

.ahhh...I wish I'd own a few of these orchestral scores too! allthough I have alot of signature edition piano reductions at home

Summon the Heroes must be hell of a fun to read simultanousley to tha recording. I'm especially interested in the orchestrations of the minute between Fanfare and the March where you get the feeling that the music is kind of drifting away...

Chromatical woodwindruns and than suddenly the brass: DIDA DAM!! :angry: