Footage of JW conducting.

Josh500

Footage of John Williams conducting which I like most can be found on the . . .  

11 members have voted

1. 1.

• TPM DVD (music video+documentaries).
    • AotC DVD (music video).
    • Saving Private Ryan DVD (with choir and the BSO).
    • CoS DVD (very brief, but still . . .)
    • Catch Me If You Can DVD (JW conducting jazz pieces).
    • Indiana Jones Trilogy Bonus-DVD (with Spielberg in attendance).
    • The Terminal DVD.
    • E.T. DVD (Live in the Shrine Auditory+original recording sessions).
    • Other (did I forget something?).

I voted for TPM. The documentaries and, especially, the music video show some really great footage of JW conducting!!! I love the way he moves, man!!! LOL Second is AotC, then probably CMIYC. I love this thing he does with his arms . . . kinda twirling his hands to (I guess) spur the orchestra on. You probably all know what I mean.

:sleepy:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to vote because I haven't seen all of these, but I think the some of the best conducting footage I've seen was that MSNBC special a few weeks ago.

I haven't seen all of them, but from what I've seen, overall, I like the stuff on TPM the best. The Duel of the Fates stuff is awesome.

But my favorite shot is on the AotC DVD. For some reason, I just love the look on his face in this shot. :sleepy:

aotc.jpg

- Marc, who thinks that shot might make a good caption contest subject. :baaa:

Definitely has to be ET!

...followed closely by the BBC Star Wars doc from 1980 - the latter of which really should be made more widely available - Williams & the LSO in their prime, classic!

-Tim

But my favorite shot is on the AotC DVD. For some reason, I just love the look on his face in this shot. :)

aotc.jpg

"What??!! George is actually going to keep this piece of music in the film? Yippee!"

Jeff

From a conductor's point of view (though others may disagree), it's got to be ET any day......especially the Live at the Shrine segment....I learnt a cool lift-off from that which I use often......

was the Saving Private Ryan special on the anniversary edition?

Yes that's right - it's worth checking out, very good footage!

-Tim

I don't have any release of Saving Private Ryan... Is there any Williams featurette on any of them?

Yes, there is. IIRC, a sound and music featurette with JW then Garry Rydstrom, together about 14 minutes long. There's JW talking about the war a bit, about Hymn to The Fallen, and footage of the recording sessions at Boston symphony hall.

Thanks for the info. I loved the film, and have it on tape, but this being one of those that I won't be watching every day of the week, I was wondering if there was anyhting else that would make me buy the DVD...

Talking of which, I feel similar about the Schindler's List DVD i.e. it's probably something I will never watch very often, but is there much JW on there? It's on sale around here for about £10......

Shame that some of us UK buggers missed it then, ain't it?!!?? My brother works for the BBC........I wonder.........

Talking of which, I feel similar about the Schindler's List DVD i.e. it's probably something I will never watch very often, but is there much JW on there?  It's on sale around here for about £10......

Britain is usually an exception, but the R2 DVD that's been on sale all over Europe (I got it too) features only holocaust-related extras. I haven't seen them yet, but there is no John Williams in any of them.

The swines, the swines.........Jaws 2 is around for £5.99 and claims to have a JW featurette....is it a featurette? or is it a 30-second interview.....

The swines, the swines.........Jaws 2 is around for £5.99 and claims to have a JW featurette....is it a featurette?  or is it a 30-second interview.....

It's a real featurette where he talks about not remebering scoring that movie. :)

Neil

ET, followed by the Empire Strikes Back on the BBC doc.

That BBC doc is the finest one out there.

Neil

Finest doc, certainly. But I can't get enough of watching JW at his zenith conducting the build up to the flying theme.

Shame that some of us UK buggers missed it then, ain't it?!!??  My brother works for the BBC........I wonder.........

You know, I don't remember what I sent you early this week, but I think you might feel lucky -- and have no need to bother your brother :)

was the Saving Private Ryan special on the anniversary edition?

Yes that's right - it's worth checking out, very good footage!

-Tim

I don't have any release of Saving Private Ryan... Is there any Williams featurette on any of them?

There are 3 editions of "Saving Private Ryan". The first one only had a 25 minutes long documentary (no Williams). The 2nd one was the same, but with DTS. Only the last one (the 60th anniversary commemorative edition) includes the Williams featurette, which is a must-have. ;)

From a conductor's point of view (though others may disagree), it's got to be ET any day......especially the Live at the Shrine segment....I learnt a cool lift-off from that which I use often......

Interesting. Could you explain what, please? In a simple way, as I am not a musician at all, let alone a conductor.

Interesting. Could you explain what, please? In a simple way, as I am not a musician at all, let alone a conductor.

Not sure I get the question....are you asking me what a lift-off is? OK - there are 3 ways of ending a section or piece for a conductor.....the first is a cut-off i.e. immediate stop (usually at the end of a piece), the second is a niente, meaning a fade into nothing, and the third is a lift-off (my own terminology - I don't think there is a correct term for it) which is kind of hard to explain, but listen to the very last 2 seconds of Princess Leia's Theme from the SW OST and you should be able to gather the difference between a lift and a cut....I have picked a quiet ending as an example, but it doesnt need to be quiet......though it often is......a lift is kind of a "Suspension" rather than a "Stop", if that makes any sense whatsoever......