Audio-Commentaries by Film Composers.

Josh500

I know Jerry Goldsmith did it (i.e. Hollow Man), so did Danny Elfman (i.e. Edward Scissorhands). John Williams never did it. Does anyone have DVDs with audio-commentaries done by composers??? Which are any good? Which are not? I have a CD at home with a John Williams interview done shortly before the premiere of TPM, and I just love listening to him talk about his compositions. You can sense the enthusiasm and the love of the music.

For which movie would you like to see JW doing an audio-commentary??? My answer is simple: for every movie he ever worked on (although Star Wars, Harry Potter, and Indiana Jones would top the list)!!!

:)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favourite is Randy Newman's commentary to Pleasantville - very insightful and entertaining, he mentions Williams & Goldsmith's early days at Fox too. This is only on the region 1 New Line edition though.

Marco Beltrami's Hellboy commentary is quite good and I prefer Goldsmith's Planet of the Apes commentary to his other ones.

-Tim

I haven't really listened to it in full. Just the pre-credit stuff I think. Arnold talks a bit about the score and what he worked with (he mentioned the original version of the pre-credit scene that he got to score), but I haven't listened to enough of it to make a fair judgment.

I think the writer(s), director, composer and occasionally a lead actor should do commentary (obviously not all on the same movie). Having producers comment is silly, and although they get to make big decisions, they aren't as involved with the writing, filming, scoring etc as the others are.

That said, I find a number of audio commentaries incredibly boring. Often it's just "well, this scene came about..." or "so-and-so decided" in a monotonous voice. The Buffy DVD commentaries are what I like; interesting and FUNNY. Things that they noticed but didn't bother changing (e.g. Xander apparently forgetting where the heart of a vampire is). Or maybe I'm just biased.

I've heard Pleasantville, Red Dragon, Hollow Man, Family Man, ST:TMP and probably a couple more I cant remember. And I'm about to start Goldenthal's Titus.

Out of them, Newman's was the best. Goldsmith HM was very good, and the little he said on TMP was good, but it probably adds up to 6-7 minutes at most.

I was excited when I got the "Final Fantasy" DVD to hear Goldenthal talk about his music, because he's so out there sometimes I wanted to hear about the creatuive process, and working with the LSO.

But he talked over the good parts of the score, and wasn't really interesting to me.

Some time ago I heard Danny Elfman's commentary on Edward Scissorhands. The movie was good, the score was brilliant (arguably one of Elfman's best achievements), and the commentary was interesting. The movie is certainly recommended.

:wave: