Gladiator Soundmix

I've been listening to the complete score today, and I quitte enjoy it, for the most part.

I gotta wonder however.

This score was recorded with a REAL orchestra right?

A lot of the brass in the action cues (The Battle, Barbarian Horde) sound very synth like, and the string music sounds like it has been manipulated somehow.

Is it all synth, did someone at MV thought it was a good idea to make an orcherstra sound synth-like?

Am I just hearing stuff?

BTW, Hannibal has a certain artificial-ness in it recording and mixing too, IMO.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is both. It was recorded live. I know some people who orchestrated on it, basically it is layers upon layers. For example everthing the horns play is doubled by synth horns (that distinctive overblow sound). Also they use the trombones and cellos as super doublers, they stay after the session and double the other parts. For example it would be common to have cellos double the viola part after the session. Either way everything is doubled by synth, and the woodwind section is hardly used. To me it sounds like 500 people playing.

To me it sounds like 500 people playing.

To me it sounds like a guy behind a keyboard, albeit an expensive one.

All the details in the performance are pretty much shot to hell.

Do you know if there is any particular reason why Zimmer does this?

And is there a more decent re-recording of The Battle out there?

The Gladiator score is still spectacular and one the most influential scores of the last five years. Not a very popular opinion on this board, but alas, there you have it anyway.

Question, you love Glad-I-Ate-Her.

What do you think of the Pirates Of The Caribean score, which is pretty much Klaus Badelt and 12 other MV guys doing Gladiator again?

I like Gladiator, despite it's ludicrously overengineered sound.

But Pirates Of The Caribean is a personal offense to me. (the score, not the film, which I really like)

I never really listened to Pirates that well. In a lot of ways the masculine theme from Gladiator is just another variation of the theme Zimmer presented in Crimson Tide (or even Backdraft). But the score as a whole with the powerful Wagnerian Might of Rome, the beautiful ending of The Battle (very Morricone like - listen to his Secret Of The Sahara "Kerim" cue to hear the resemblance), the brilliance of Am I Not Merciful and the central theme best heard in Honor Him make it a unique experience.

This score is way better than most here want it to be.

It's good but personally I cannot place it in the E.T., Braveheart, LOTR, TMP range.

Maybe i'm to traditional for it, an orchestra should sound like an orchestra, not a synth sampler.

Zimmer is a good composer but IMO he shoots himself in the foot with that.

Well,

the method for the MV recordings are a bit the same as Randy Edelman does.

First,

get a BIG orchestra.

Record it.

Two,

when you get this wonderful sound, get an arranger and some "additional arrangers" to put some synth on the orchestra.

Why would you tell me ?

Because in the theater, we can't hear the music with all the explosions, car chases or others BIG CRASHES !

For GLADIATOR, the music was recorded in London (as HANNIBAL) by the performers of the LSO...

It's the same thing with K19 The Widowmaker by Badelt. It's a score I love, but why have they pay to get the KIROV ORCHESTRA & CHORUS and the master baton of Gergiev to put a slice of synths on it ?

Hope it can help...

Yours Vincent ;)

The Gladiator score is still spectacular and one the most influential scores of the last five years. Not a very popular opinion on this board, but alas, there you have it anyway.

Mmm, that's one way of putting it. A better truth is that other composers were forced to "copy" Gladiator's atmosphere.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I think in the cover of the OSTs puts the performers. I think it is synth plus some real instrument, wich in the end just make everything sound synth.

Luke, who think some synth scores could be great if recorded with real orchestras.

JPIII is synth or not? To me it isnt but some action cues sound like it could be...

Well,

I'm new... so don't kick me please!

I just changed my avatar and tried to answer the Stefancos' interrogation he got for the sound of MV...

That's all...

I'm interested in film music, not in a kind of genre...

I'm working in a shop in which I sell soundtracks, so I listen to everything !

Your Vincent,

The newcomer ;)

Stefan!!!

I forgot one important thing: the sequel album (More Music ...) isn't really interesting with the excepting of one track;

DUDUK OF THE NORTH

Stefan, I promise you man this is one really great piece of film music! It starts with a, suprise suprise, duduk solo which is somewhat impressionistic at first, but becomes more and more melodic as the piece progresses. Then, after the first few minutes, a guitar is heard over a string synth motif and it will really blow your mind! It's THAT good and to make things better the cue ends with a Media Ventures "orchestral" rendition of that guitar motif and it's stunning.

One of my favorite unknown pieces of film music!

I think Zimmer uses the synths because it's what he always does. I wish he would stop though. If you listen to cues like Patricide you can hear what Zimmer can achieve without those evil synths.

Justin - Who thinks The Last Samurai suffers slightly from the synths as well. (Otherwise a great score.)