Triplets in Williams' Music

Braveheart

Is it just me or has anyone else here noticed that John Williams' music is always jammed with triplets? I'm not saying this is a bad thing (I actually think it is awesome), but I've been listening very carefully and counting the tempos and it seems like Williams' middle name should be "triplets." ;)

And it is the triplets that make "Across the Stars" sound a bit like the theme from "Hook" as well as the theme from "Jane Eyre." Otherwise all these compositions are different from each other, but them the triplets he used in certain parts seem to be exactly the same notes.

Furthermore, if anyone here does some Jazz composition/performance, can he/she explain if lots of triplets are used in Jazz? I just want to know if Williams' enormous use of triplets comes from his "Jazzy" skills. :mrgreen:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't say it's always "triplets" you know the eighth notes or what ever with a 3 on the top, Alot of the time he writes in a tri-meter, 3/8, 6/8, 9/8, etc etc and that sounds like triplets. Not that in the end the product sounds any different :|

I'm not a musicologist, but I always have a fondness for Williams' triplet writing. In fact, sometimes, he makes it very obvious. I think triplets are easier to orchestrate throughout various instruments. But like I said, I'm no musicologist.

Jeff -- who loves Williams' best triplet....

it seems like Williams' middle name should be "triplets."

Well maybe that's what his real middle name is. John T(riplets) Williams? :|

Anyway, yes, I've noticed that he enjoys to use triplets, or as Ren pointed out, and beats that sound like triplets. I was thinking the other day of all the themes he uses triplets in, and, well, there are many themes that would fall in that category.

~Harry

[quote

Furthermore, if anyone here does some Jazz composition/performance, can he/she explain if lots of triplets are used in Jazz? I just want to know if Williams' enormous use of triplets comes from his "Jazzy" skills. :|

Jazz does emphasize a triplet feel through the use of swing. Even if a piece is in duple meter (2/4, 4/4, 8/4, 2/2) most jazz guys will swing the notes like 8th notes (thereby ending up playing quarter triplet then an 8th triplet...it's hard to explain and much easier to write out in notation really).

Hope that somewhat answers your question...

An example of "swinging" that comes immediately to mind is the dum-ba-dum-ba-dum-ba-dam-ba-dum from Star Wars. OK, that probably didn't help you much. :| Look at 0:40 into the theme (time from ANH: SE, disc 1, track 2).

It's funny you should mention that, because I always thought that Williams' trademark was fanfarres. Now I know where I got that feeling! :)

I think every composer has a trademark. The funniest one comes from Disney's Alan Menken, who usually refuses to use a note in every song. For instance, there are no F's in "Part of Your World", I think. And no G's in "Colors of the Wind". That's always how he begins to compose songs.

I'm not a musicologist, but I always have a fondness for Williams' triplet writing. In fact, sometimes, he makes it very obvious. I think triplets are easier to orchestrate throughout various instruments. But like I said, I'm no musicologist.  

Jeff -- who loves Williams' best triplet....

not to step on your toes, but that i don't think that has any bearing on how hard it is to orchestrate. Good idea though!!!!

I wouldn't say it's always "triplets" you know the eighth notes or what ever with a 3 on the top,  Alot of the time he writes in a tri-meter, 3/8, 6/8, 9/8, etc etc and that sounds like triplets.  Not that in the end the product sounds any different :)

Maybe it isn't always triplets, but I'm ear trained and I've been performing and composing music for many years and I can attempt to count the tempo and all and recognize that most of them are triplets. Plus, I have seen a lot of sheet music for music by Williams and there are lots of triplets in his music. :)

Furthermore, if anyone here does some Jazz composition/performance, can he/she explain if lots of triplets are used in Jazz? I just want to know if Williams' enormous use of triplets comes from his "Jazzy" skills.  :)

Jazz does emphasize a triplet feel through the use of swing. Even if a piece is in duple meter (2/4, 4/4, 8/4, 2/2) most jazz guys will swing the notes like 8th notes (thereby ending up playing quarter triplet then an 8th triplet...it's hard to explain and much easier to write out in notation really).

Hope that somewhat answers your question...

Thanks. That helps a lot. ;) I've always wondered why he uses a lot of triplets. Maybe it is also his own personal choice. Just like Tchaikovsky enjoyed drawing a lot of lines on his staff paper instead of just using "8VA" (and he also used strings in the higher octaves A LOT!)

There's something subtle I've been noticing more and more in his recent compositions...it's kinda hard for me to explain, I am a pianist so it's easier to convey with musical notation rather than a paragraph like this. It's kind of a layering of triple meter with double meter. You'll notice it in For Always, Harry's Wondrous World, Sean's Theme, Angela's Ashes... Where the pulse of the music is distinctly based on three, but then the melody switches to two. Or vice versa with the melody in 3/4, placed against a 2/4 or 4/4...if that makes any sense. I'm not a well-versed theorist so bear with me. Is this a new Williams trend?

His 3 against 4 or 2 is not new. He's always done it. Check out ET "over the moon" amongst other things.

Maybe it isn't always triplets, but I'm ear trained and I've been performing and composing music for many years and I can attempt to count the tempo and all and recognize that most of them are triplets. Plus, I have seen a lot of sheet music for music by Williams and there are lots of triplets in his music.

I didnt' mean to insult your ears!!!!!! :)

you are right though, there are a lot of triplets!

Maybe it isn't always triplets, but I'm ear trained and I've been performing and composing music for many years and I can attempt to count the tempo and all and recognize that most of them are triplets. Plus, I have seen a lot of sheet music for music by Williams and there are lots of triplets in his music.

I didnt' mean to insult your ears!!!!!! :)

you are right though, there are a lot of triplets!

Cool :)

I didn't mean to make it sound like you insulted my ears though. ;)

His 3 against 4 or 2 is not new.  He's always done it.  Check out ET "over the moon" amongst other things.

yeah i noticed that too... 3 against 4 (or other similar configurations) in my opinion has a very romantic style in john williams stuff... it reminds of rachmaninoff's piano concertos, which are just filled with 3 against 2 and 5 against 4 and such...

Triplets are triplets. Williams uses triplets in a very flowing passages, but uses duples in fast, energetic pieces (with some notable exceptions). Williams also uses triplets as a contrast from duples as well. In "Harry's Wonderous World" in the middle, flowing section, it feels like it is in three, but is actually written with triplets in 2/4 time. Listen to the bass pizzicatos and notice that they remain in 2 while most of the orchestra above is playing quarter note triplets. Very cool stuff.

Triplets are triplets. Williams uses triplets in a very flowing passages, but uses duples in fast, energetic pieces (with some notable exceptions). Williams also uses triplets as a contrast from duples as well. In "Harry's Wonderous World" in the middle, flowing section, it feels like it is in three, but is actually written with triplets in 2/4 time. Listen to the bass pizzicatos and notice that they remain in 2 while most of the orchestra above is playing quarter note triplets. Very cool stuff.

Ummm....yeah. Like I said before, I'm no musicologist. I just know what sounds good.

:mrgreen: "Spyders" from Minority Report

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree. He does seem to have a thing with triplets. But some of his best pieaces are full of them. For example, The Star Wars theme, Duel of the Fates, Across the stars, Harry's wondrous world.

K.M., tap a steady beat with your left hand, then with your right hand tap 3 beats ot that one and fit them in evenly, that is what a triplet is.

Triplets are not a jazz element, Jazz is usually written straight in duplets, (not always) and it's for the performer to feel the swing beat. Triplets occur in music in general, jazz is more concerned with syncopation, which means accented weak beats, which John uses a lot of too.

He uses triplets in a variety of manners, especially to give momentum to the rhythm, to create direction to the melodic idea and flow to the accomponiment. That with unexpected colouring of chromatisism is what is awesome about his music to me.