Guess what I'm listening to!!!!!

John Takis

Now that April Fools is finally over (EST) I can finally post this!!!!!!! I've been sitting on these files for two days waiting for the madness to draw to a finish.

First of all, forget "Weebo"! 8O There's no way anyone could have the CD this early anyway ... and I don't.

But...

One of my Brit friends from another messageboard (non film-music related) has a brother that works at Abbey Road. I've been promised an autograph if he's still working there and Williams comes back (if I'd only known, I would have demanded a signed scoring sheet, dammit!) Anyway, rambling ... she knows I'm a film score nut, and when I found out where her brother worked, I pressed her for some juicy details about the score or behind-the-scenes. Anything we didn't know. He promised to write me up a report of his experiences (evidently, he only bumped into Williams once or twice, shook his hand, etc.) ... but in the MEANTIME, it turns out this guy had the balls to sneak in a MINIDISC RECORDER! That's right! The sound-clips he e-mailed me are DIRECT FROM THE RECORDING SESSIONS! As in, some of this music might not actually be on the CD!

Now don't get too excited ... they're obviously mono. And these ones are rather short, since he had to be discreet (which meant hastily stuffing the recorder back into his pocket a few times). Also, he only worked through Sunday, Feb. 13, so anything after that will not be forthcoming from this source. The files he sent me are not in the order he recorded them in, but in the order he slapped them together, and he doesn't remember exactly what goes with what scene -- but I can make a few educated guesses. He's promised a few larger files once we can hook up via AIM, and given me permission to post them under condition of anonymity. Needless to say, you guys will be the first to hear them! Here's what I've got so far ... they're surprisingly clean, all things considered! I'm going to try to get the unedited files so we can hear more, even if they're still incomplete.

Clip 1

He thinks this was for a Grievous action sequence. I suspect the wheel chase, given the propulsive, locomotive feel.

Clip 2

This has got to be the Birth of the Twins, because I *think* you can hear the first few notes of Leia's theme after the Force theme finishes.

Clip 3

Either the end of "Battle of the Heroes" or a segment of the End Credits. I suspect the former, but I guess we'll know for sure in a few days.

More to come -- and this is by far the most exciting thing that has happened to me this year! ;)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad you didn't get a clip of the Emperor's revelation. I guess that one'll be entombed forever in Lucasfilm Archives.

First of all, forget "Weebo"! ;) There's no way anyone could have the CD this early anyway ... and I don't.

Wanna bet?

-W

OK ... I hate to come clean so soon, with so many hopes and dreams to toy with 8O ... but it really IS after midnight now where I REALLY am (CST). I'd hoped to get this prank in place earlier today, but events conspired against me. Ah well.

I'll be VERY impressed if anyone can identify all three cues (anyone I haven't already told, that is). Cerrabore came very close, identifying two out of three in a PM. ;)

The LAST supposed promo album you sent me was an incomplete CD-R of "The Little Mermaid".

Good music, though.

We are NOT getting into that again here!

Neil

I didn't buy it for a nanosecond. That locomotive seq was so mechanical that Williams couldn't have written it. It reminded me of Danny Elfman. Only he writes as lifeless as clip 1. The solo FH from clip 2 playing 'The Force Theme' might be a VSL legato sample. Clip 3 absolutely doesn't sound like Williams either. It sounded ... i don't know ... classical?

----------------

Alex Cremers

I didn't buy it for a nanosecond. That locomotive seq was so mechanical that Williams couldn't have written it. It reminded me of Danny Elfman. Only he writes as lifeless as clip 1. The solo FH from clip 2 playing 'The Force Theme' might be a VSL legato sample. Clip 3 absolutely doesn't sound like Williams either. It sounded  ... i don't know ... classical?

----------------

Alex Cremers

lol, I thought the exact same things... even about Danny Elfman and the possible sampled FH LOL

The first clip kinda "worked" for me, but the second made me suspicious right away, because the force theme is played wrongly there... and I don't believe Williams is so senile that he forgets how his own themes go, yet ;)

Clip 1 is not from the film. how do I know this? well if any of you have heard the score to the Indiana Jones xbox video game the cue is in the game.

So my guess is all of thisi is an april fools joke. think about it it may be past midnight EST but not midnight in LA. get me! granted i am postnig this at 935am. so hope this helped

Yay...

Clip 2 is from Elvis Jones' NPR Bonus Mix of unreleased goodies from the Star Wars Radio Drama.

And Leia's Theme really does come after the Force theme in this mix,

but I'm sure the folk in on the joke already know that...

I only needed to hear the 1st seconds of the 1st clip to know it was form the Emperor's tomb.

And well that score captions Williams feel at sometimes.

There is also one cue i call "Fast Streets of Hong Kong" who is very similar to its Williams' homologue...