SW Concert Suites I'd Like to See

Or Hear rather.

One of the things we all love about the Williams' SW scores is the concert arrangements of themes. The peak of this was undoubtedly the ESB, which included two of three concert arrangements Williams wrote from the film's main themes.

I'd like to hear the following - incidentally, I've never heard the Han and the Princess suite, but I know it's been recorded at least once:

Qui-Gon's Theme - enough said - the best theme of the new trilogy, and one of the least heard.

The Trade Federation - there's already a track on TPM soundtrack which does this well.

Dooku, Grievous and the Separatists - this could be an interesting challenge for those composer competitions we have here - link up the Conflict theme from AOTC with the Arena motif, Grievous' theme, and the

General Grievous - a devoted development of his fun theme.

The Sith - Somewhere, 'Palpatine's Teachings', the theme of Darth Sidious and 'The Dark Side Beckons' have to meet - why not here?

Ben Kenobi - a concert suite of the Force theme which doesn't involve that throne room Elgar pastiche. Something which works on the quiet beauty of theme more.

Anakin's Fall - an extension of the coda to the AOTC end credits which develops all three stages of Anakin's fall from grace - all the sub-motifs for Anakin could be worked in to tell his story in four minutes.

Shmi's Theme - a theme which I've always wanted to hear more of. A concert suite seems to be the right place.

Amidala's Theme - Heck, it doesn't have to be used in the films, but it would be nice to get an independent theme for the Queen turned Senator that kind of tied in the love theme and Luke and Leia's theme. EDIT - This quote from Williams has always made me wonder, he was talking about TPM score: "The music for Queen Amidala was originally much more developed, but George Lucas didn't want it so. There were matters which I could not control."

Revenge of the Sith - a concert arrangement of the lamentation pieces from 'Anakin's Dark Deeds' and 'Anakin's Betrayal'.

Other little things which it might be interesting to hear more of - the Droid theme and Cloud City theme from ESB.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A concert version of the Droid March would probably be my favorite track ever. Qui-Gon's theme would make a good one as well. I'd like to hear one for DoTF that isn't so "stop and go," but just as epic.

What tracks on the UE best represent Qui-Gon's theme, and Shmi's theme?

Anakin is Free/Duel in the Desert for all of the above. I can't remember offhand what the UE track titles are for these, and it's probably like 5 tracks. :joke:

Ben Kenobi - a concert suite of the Force theme which doesn't involve that throne room Elgar pastiche. Something which works on the quiet beauty of theme more.

"Light of the Force" is the closest we'll ever get to this. Add to your list a suite of the Imperial Theme and Death Star Motif from Star Wars.

Jeff

I'd like to hear one for DoTF that isn't so "stop and go," but just as epic.

There is a school orchestra version (Hal Leonard series I believe), that with a minimal amount of tweeking is pretty close to what you're after......to my knowledge it has never been recorded......sadly......'tis thethird part of a suite that comprises Main Title, Anakin's Theme and goes into a hefty version of Duel of the Fates and into Augie's Parade jobby......but the DotF Section is long and the musical equivalent of an inter-city....

Add to your list a suite of the Imperial Theme and Death Star Motif from Star Wars.

I'm no musician, but aren't those themes a little bit tiny in structure to ensure a concert arrangement? I mean, the Death Star motif doesn't even have too much of a melody.

I'm no musician, but aren't those themes a little bit tiny in structure to ensure a concert arrangement? I mean, the Death Star motif doesn't even have too much of a melody.

I'm sure Williams could do it, since he did it with a 3 note theme in his concert version of the Voldemort Theme, which is published in the Signature Edition Hal Leonard score, but never has been performed to my knowledge.

Add to your list a suite of the Imperial Theme and Death Star Motif from Star Wars.

But think of how many times you hear those tiny themes in the score. Woven together with the Rebel Fanfare (like in "Imperial Attack") or Force Theme ("Mouse Robot/Blasting Off"), Williams could come up with a 2 or 3 minute concert piece to show off those Imperial Themes.

Jeff