Sound Familiar?

jgraves

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure. Me and about 7 other guys. I guess video games got a jump on the movies for a change (like the Zimmer/Howard collaboration for Batman Begins). Game companies have been making us split up scores for the last five years. Currently I'm working on 5 different games and three of them are collaborations with other composers. I guess it's a little easier for games - you just split up different level to different folks...

Jason

That kind of sounds like a JWFAN competition! LOL As in, many short variations on the same subject by different authors. You've done a nice job with these Jaws variations, and I'm glad you did not forget the rising 3 note motif like so many seem to do. I would like to know more about your work, especially whether you started professionally where you live and whether you feel that music can provide a stable income for a starter at this point. Did you move to N. California out of necessity to pursue media, or would it heve been possible to achieve your success from anywhere? I've done some professional stuff, but I haven't made a concentrated effort to enter the business full time yet. Do you have a web page I can visit?

What's really interesting is the first one I did was way too subtle, though I really like it better. It souded more like the suspense stuff Williams did in the film. But game folks want big, hit-you-over-the-head-at-all-times music. I had to more or less chuck it and do a new one. I'm sure the old will will find a home in one of the other games I'm working on. It's like the native americans with buffolo - I use ALL parts of the music. Nothing goes to waste!! :)

Jason

Hey, thanks, Richard. Long time no speak! :) Hope things are going well. We can talk scores a little more in a few days. Thanks for being patient with me, my excellent trading friend!

Jason

Hey Jesse. Wow - that was a lot of questions. :) Most of which the answers are on my (VERY outdated by say, oh, five years) web site:

www.jasongraves.com

Beware!! Nothing equipment related or job related is up to date.

However, my new company's site is only about 6 months behind:

www.rednoteaudio.com

Hope this helps!

Jason

Very interesting. Any chance we can listen to the rejected "subtle" loop which bears more similarity to the original OST?

NP "Outmaneuver Them" from Seeds of Darkness

Hey, thanks, Richard.  Long time no speak!  :mrgreen:  Hope things are going well.  We can talk scores a little more in a few days.  Thanks for being patient with me, my excellent trading friend!

Jason

No rush Jason,to be doing this kind of work must definately take quite a chunk of time.

Have fun,and if you can,let us hear more of your stuff

Richard

Another funny aside - the original piece (which I will post in a little) was much more subtle, as I said before, but also used the INGENIOUS if not truly original "ocean" motif. You know, the two major triads played in triplets a tritone apart. Love it! (thank you, mr herrmann)

So I used that a lot becuase to me that said "underwater mystery," but the game developer thought it "took him out of the world of Jaws," which is funny since it was another major theme straight off the soundtrack they paid fees to be able to use. Oh, well...

Jason

I finally decided to show more of my multifaceted personality.

Seeds of Darkness? Good lord - that was a while ago!

But of the whole soundtrack I think I had the most fun with "Outmaneuver Them." I was conviced the producers would pull it because it was so much fun and maybe not serious enough, but figured I give it a shot. The guy doing the flying was having wayyyy too much fun, so I hoped I could squeak by and sneak it in. Guess it worked!!

Jason

Funny you should say that, Richard. Since it was my first attempt I obviously thought it was more appropriate. But like I said at the beginning, there's nothing subtle about video games! A lot of times I end up having to re-write a lot of stuff just becuase it's "too melodic" or not "in-your-face" enough.

I imagine that's why Zimmer keeps using the same action style over and over. It cuts and (I guess) gets the typical neanderthal male moviegoer's pulse racing. Blah!

Jason

The Palpatine in me thinks, "you don't need guidance Jason." The game company should have trusted you on this one methinks. They thought this rejected cue "took you out of the world of Jaws?" Hmm. Perhaps they are not very familiar with the OST. I suppose almost every cue already has the shark ostinato in it, so I wonder why they wouldn't like to break it up a little? Well, I won't bash your bosses. I'm glad I'll be able to kill as the shark in a 3D Amity island.

When I worked for Kaiju, I had to face the same things. My bosses would say I should stick to the temp track, but when I would include the exact same instrumentation, they would say to lose the strings. They said strings were too classical to include under any circumstance, yet if they listened to the temp track, there were plenty of BLARING STRINGS! So I just had to throw up my arms in wonderment and try to please nonsense minds that were too bogged down with other aspects of production (or too deaf) to manage the score effectively.

May I ask, how long do they give you to write one piece like this?

Jesse

who is considering this to be the JAWS 5 OST.

So I just had to throw up my arms in wonderment and try to please nonsense minds that were too bogged down with other aspects of production (or too deaf) to manage the score effectively.

Here, here, Jesse! Same thing for me, almost all the time. As I learned from my years of bad reality TV scoring, if it's good enough to get some attention from the viewer, it's a DISTRACTION! And it must be changed or God help us, people might start paying more attention to the music than the actual game/program/film that they are suppose to be playing/watching.

I learned quite quickly to tuer down all my music mixes to practically nothing in the pre-mix for music approval and then let the final engineer mix proper levels once everything's been approved and they can't make any more changes.

:mrgreen:

Jason

I imagine that's why Zimmer keeps using the same action style over and over. It cuts and (I guess) gets the typical neanderthal male moviegoer's pulse racing. Blah!

I think you did a good job keeping with your original idea, adding a little punch to it. I'm glad you're aware of the dangers of pleasing the suits to too high a degree. I remember reading a Hollywood director say that he never understands how appropriate the music is until the film is finished and in the theatre. I think more directors should understand that they can not control every note, and that a proven composer should be able to bring something they might not have expected, as long as the instrumentation is the agreed upon instrumentation. After all, if a director or producer could imagine the music they wanted so perfectly beforehand, then they would also be able to compose, no?

May I ask, how long do they give you to write one piece like this?

Jesse

who is considering this to be the JAWS 5 OST.

Ha! Had to do it in a day, so the first one was about 6 hours and the second less than an hour.

Jason

After all' date=' if a director or producer could imagine the music they wanted so perfectly beforehand, then they would also be able to compose, no?[/quote']

Spoken like a true composer!!

:mrgreen:

Jason

Well, thanks! I can only take credit on the orchestration for that title, but it was a lot of fun working on, especially with a live orchestra. The celtic aspect of it totally makes the soundtrack, IMHO.

Jason